X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Potential character choices re: ReMego Marvel are interesting. Do "we" really want an '80s samurai Mandarin? Could classic Mandarin be manufactured today without FuManchu backlash?

I'd want a Power Man, but that's not the popular version of Luke Cage.

Funny you mention Mandarin. I've been contemplating a custom and was comparing his styles. The classic purple/green gets a brief makeover in '73-'74 Iron Man, but is then drastically overhauled in '78 for a design that lasted maybe six appearances. While it's gawd-awful, if you play Mego Retcon that would have been the design choice from 1978/79. So we would have had an IM with nose and green-armored Mandarin anomolies as their toy representations.

So it really comes down to the deal. If Round 2 CA and Dark Horse mini-statues are allowed to do Silver Age, than Marvel and Hasbro are apparently cool with other companies focusing on non-modern appearances.

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

I love the discussion over "classic" concerning the version of the characters to be produced, if indeed it happens.

What's classic to one is old or new to another.

If I said imagine classic Iron Man, there could be a half dozen different versions or more that pop into people's minds.

Is it Kirby, Heck, Colan, Tuska, Layton, Romita Jr., McDonnell, Byrne?

As Hedrap pointed out with Power Man/Luke Cage, I'd buy a yellow shirt, blue pants, chain belt and silver gauntlets version, but probably would pass on one with jeans, work boots, and T-shirt. Others wouldn't touch the yellow shirt version, but would be the other.

As for the head sculpts, I wouldn't mind seeing nearly exact replicas of the original Mego figures, but I'd rather have figures that actually look like the characters. That's what I hope FTC does with the DC line if it continues past the replicas. I really hope they can capture an Adams/Aparo Batman and Ras Al Ghul.

A Curt Swan 70s Superman would thrill me, but I know others had rather have Wayne Boring's version or Byrne, Jurgens, Adams, Lee, Super Friends, George Reeves or Christopher Reeve.

We can discuss it, but I doubt there would ever be a consensus. If someone does get the license, they will just have to make the best choice they can make and not worry about the criticism and gripes on this board and hope the figures sell.

Mego's Batman figure is a favorite to many, but I still don't know if it is a poor version of Carmine Infantino's Batman or a poor version of Adam West as Batman or was Mego shooting for something in between? The Robin head seems to be an atrocious version of Dick Sprang's Boy Wonder with the double curls, but it's terrible, imo.

If the line is to appeal to anyone but ardent mego heads, then whoever gets the license needs to take advantage of the advances available to them, imo.

I'd like to see different versions of the characters like Marvel Legends and DC Direct has done. It's a good way to keep a popular character available but still fresh. I'd buy a Ditko version of Spider-man with the webs under the arms and black tights and the Romita version sans under-arm webs and with royal blue tights. I'd also like for the webbing on the head to be painted in. And I definitely don't want them to add oven mitts to Spidey, which would be the ultimate mego-like addition to the character.

I thought the mattel head sculpts were OK to solid overall. Obviously some were better than others. I didn't care for the flat-head Superman or the Kirk Green Lantern, but Luthor, Two-Face and Sinestro were excellent. The Flash head is a little round, but it resembled Infantino's mid 60s version of the character.

Martian Manhunter is an excellent figure and Cheetah's very good, also.

Wonder Woman's costume is lacking, but the head is solid. The Green Arrow figure is an improvement on one of Mego's best designs. Captain Marvel and Black Adam's head sculpts look like they are from separate lines. The Captain Marvel appears based off Alex Ross' art, while the Black Adam appears to be a modified mego Bruce Wayne head or maybe Action Jackson. A similar resin custom head has been available for years. It resembles Kurt Shaffenburger's version of Black Adam, but not Ross' Captain Marvel. i don't care for the Darkside, the John Stewart or Kyle Raynor sculpts. I've never really cared for the Mego Bruce Wayne head, but I do like the Mattel removable cowl.

I really like what NECA did with Freddy and Jason figures other than the non removable boots. The 12" Dukes figures look excellent to me as do the head sculpts on the upcoming Kiss Figures and 66 Batman figures. If someone gets the Marvel license, I'd like them to follow a similar direction.
      Last edited by madmarva; Feb 16, '14, 2:39 AM.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Random Axe
        The sculpts were made to order with the idea of "retro". Andy freakin nailed that aspect. And, Leitner did an amazing job on the clothing. Remember all of the member work here on these before comdemning the line.
        Well said Scott. Folks should remember that our community puts a lot of passion and hard work into these ReMegos, and deserve better than to be so casually dismissed with offhand remarks. It's a fine line sometimes between critical and insulting. These are creative human beings with feelings, putting their skill and artistic license to work, not robotic manufacturing puppets. If it's not to your taste, fine, but saying "disaster" and pointing at the sculptor is rather harsh.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Lol Well, here's hoping a "Mego" Mandarin is somewhere between '63-'74.

Seriously though, MMarva makes some good points about subjectivity: I like Mego Robin (he doesn't), we both are OK with Mattel Flash (many here were not).

Here's hoping FTC and whoever gets the Marvel 1/9 license finds a happy medium to please a broad range of collectors.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by JediJaida
            And don't get me started on the DST Trek line.

That line had SUCH potential for expansion; but the higher ups took it in the WRONG direction.

I never got the Pike figure myself; I heard too many negative things about the size of and composition of his head to do so. The resemblance to Jeffrey Hunter was almost spot on, but the head was simply too big!

Same thing with the Next Generation line.

However, had they done it right, I would have gotten my greedy paws on Captain Picard tuit suite (or however the heck you spell that!)
            I liked the STNG figures. I got them tout de suite!
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ovenmitt
              Persistent Member
              • May 26, 2009

C'mon, when do we see Toy Fair DST pics? Anyone seen or heard any news?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
                So, I'm confused...are you agreeing with me now that Megos based on 70's artists would be appropriate?
                I have and still believe that an Adams/Aparo reMego line is a fantastic idea. I'm discussing the approach of 'complementary' vs. 'separate line'.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                  I have and still believe that an Adams/Aparo reMego line is a fantastic idea. I'm discussing the approach of 'complementary' vs. 'separate line'.
                  Ah, I see. Well, ideally I'd love to have both!
                  sigpic

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

In Mego Buzz NECA Megos thread Dr Mego said "You won't see any photos of EMCE Marvel Megos at this Toy Fair." I wonder if he means they could be revealed later?

Comment

• Teemu
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                      In Mego Buzz NECA Megos thread Dr Mego said "You won't see any photos of EMCE Marvel Megos at this Toy Fair." I wonder if he means they could be revealed later?
                      LAME!...

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                        I would bet on it... since the alternative would be that Doc was just trolling us.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

I respect the secrecy in not discussing any licensing negotiations, projects in development, and any other information that would compromise any future project(s). Reveals are for their own time. Be they good or bad news.

Comment

• drmego
                            EMCE Toys
                            • Jun 15, 2001

Okay - let me say this about Mattel and Retro Action - the ORIGINAL plan was for it to be a MattyCollector line ONLY, until Toys R Us saw it and asked to
                            carry it. Mattel put the same internal code on all the characters so the store managers didn't know that they had cases of Batman, etc. sitting in the
                            store room - they thought it was just more Sinestro and Lex Luthor.

The problem with some of the sculpts - like Black Adam - was that we only got images of the heads from the sculptor. Once the sculpt was approved,
                            then the sculptor sent us the wax or clay original - only to find out that the scale was off. We told Mattel about it, but sometimes the message was
                            received and sometimes not.

The floppy body was fixed by wave 3 - Flash and Captain Cold and new Supermans and Batmans were added to wave 4 cases, but by that time,
                            most of the cases were dumped to toy wholesalers that discounted them. These figures are all over ebay and Amazon now.

I do envy CTV being able to make these without Mattel involved. Nothing against Mattel but it was a tiny line for them and did not get
                            much attention to details.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it here, but once the exec who introduced the line left Mattel for another job, the fate of this line was
                            sealed.
                            www.drmego.com
                            www.megoman.com
                            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• jimsmegos
                              Mego Dork
                              • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by drmego
                              Okay - let me say this about Mattel and Retro Action - the ORIGINAL plan was for it to be a MattyCollector line ONLY, until Toys R Us saw it and asked to
                              carry it. Mattel put the same internal code on all the characters so the store managers didn't know that they had cases of Batman, etc. sitting in the
                              store room - they thought it was just more Sinestro and Lex Luthor.

The problem with some of the sculpts - like Black Adam - was that we only got images of the heads from the sculptor. Once the sculpt was approved,
                              then the sculptor sent us the wax or clay original - only to find out that the scale was off. We told Mattel about it, but sometimes the message was
                              received and sometimes not.

The floppy body was fixed by wave 3 - Flash and Captain Cold and new Supermans and Batmans were added to wave 4 cases, but by that time,
                              most of the cases were dumped to toy wholesalers that discounted them. These figures are all over ebay and Amazon now.

I do envy CTV being able to make these without Mattel involved. Nothing against Mattel but it was a tiny line for them and did not get
                              much attention to details.

I don't know if I ever mentioned it here, but once the exec who introduced the line left Mattel for another job, the fate of this line was
                              sealed.
                              Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

Thanks for the info, Doc. It sounds like your experience with Mattel was a dream come true on one hand and a nightmare come true on the other.

Thanks again for the efforts of you, your partner and all those who worked and are working on the re-megoes you've been involved with and the ones yet to come.

Despite whatever criticisms or comments people have made, you've brought a ton of fun to mego collectors and the community.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎