X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
    Alfred and Gordon are IMO pushing compatibility in style with the original WGSH Batman line. They both seem more Adams-Aparo comic style. While some will like them even more because of this, I think in the end, they will only make the original figures look out-dated.
    I disagree. Just the fact that they are in the 70's style of Adams & Aparo makes them a PERFECT fit for the Mego style. Mego made figures all through the 70's at the same time these artists were drawing the comics...what could be more appropriate? some of Mego's sculpts may have been poor(Cap, MC Batman)...but others were excellent(Mr.Fantastic, Green Goblin, etc...)!
    sigpic

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

And don't get me started on the DST Trek line.

That line had SUCH potential for expansion; but the higher ups took it in the WRONG direction.

I never got the Pike figure myself; I heard too many negative things about the size of and composition of his head to do so. The resemblance to Jeffrey Hunter was almost spot on, but the head was simply too big!

Same thing with the Next Generation line.

However, had they done it right, I would have gotten my greedy paws on Captain Picard tuit suite (or however the heck you spell that!)
      JediJaida

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

I don't believe in any way the line was a failure. Look how many figures were produced. It could have gone much smoother and had better distro, but overall it was an historic event to have these made. It's likely close to 90 percent of the hardships came from Mattel's end. The sculpts were made to order with the idea of "retro". Andy freakin nailed that aspect. And, Leitner did an amazing job on the clothing. Remember all of the member work here on these before comdemning the line.

If somehow the Marvel liscence was acquired, I think things will go way differently and waves of figures will be produced more often and with bettre assortments. I'm sure Paul will have a lot more voice in those choices. Of course that's all speculation at this point.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Teemu
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 15, 2010

first 2 assortments should be:

Captain America
          Thor
          Dr. Doom
          Falcon

Spider-Man
          Iron Man
          Green Goblin
          Hawkeye

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

I think when we talk about off sculpts, we're referring to only four at most - Jon Stewart, Flash, Black Adam and maybe Shazam.

The rest were great. The only issue I could find is they hover between Mego and Superfriends, and maybe should have committed to the latter. I don't know if that was contractually possible, though.

EDIT: In retrospect, if it could have been the official line for Batman: Brave & Bold, it may have had an easier path. But, IIRC, this launched at the same time CN and DC were killing B&B.
            Last edited by hedrap; Feb 15, '14, 7:45 PM.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

I suppose the burning question is which version of the characters would be used? Do go back to the 1985 Marvel Universe Handbook or do you adapt some of the newer stuff? I'd like to see them make figures in the most iconic way we remember them. However, this entire line might not be based on retro ideals but maybe current trends. I dunno. I'd love to see this happen, but there's so many variables. Maybe the toy fair brings answers...

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                I think when we talk about off sculpts, we're referring to only four at most - Jon Stewart, Flash, Black Adam and maybe Shazam.
                Don't forget the Mattel RC Batman. But I did like and own a few of them: Twoface, Lex, Sinestro, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter.
                sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

See, everything about these lines in personal tastes. I thought the Shazam sculpt was the best of the bunch. Some could have turned out better, but the majority of them were pretty spot on. Guy Gardner was exactly what it should have been. I'm thinking we'll most likely get sculpts very close to Marvel Legends. All this talk could eventually be for nothing, but it's fun.

Comment

• TomStrong
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2011

I'd love to see Marvel Megos and would be in for all of them. I was in for all the Mattell Megos, some of them twice, them and the Museum got me into collecting Megos as an adult. I really liked them and was glad to get them. Now with all the customizing options available if you don't like a head sculpt you can change it. Don't like a rubber band body? Now you can change it to the new type S. Hopefully they'll use the most popular versions of the characters, maybe silver age versions.

Comment

• Teemu
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Random Axe
                      I suppose the burning question is which version of the characters would be used? Do go back to the 1985 Marvel Universe Handbook or do you adapt some of the newer stuff? I'd like to see them make figures in the most iconic way we remember them. However, this entire line might not be based on retro ideals but maybe current trends. I dunno. I'd love to see this happen, but there's so many variables. Maybe the toy fair brings answers...
                      classic comic book versions all the way

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

In all fairness, IMO only Mattel's Capt. Marvel & esp. Black Adam were truly disappointing. Probably not any more "off" than Mego Capt. America or Green Goblin, though.

Regarding Hawkman, Sam, I covet a Mego one badly & would love to see CG's sculpt. I envy you!
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Potential character choices re: ReMego Marvel are interesting. Do "we" really want an '80s samurai Mandarin? Could classic Mandarin be manufactured today without FuManchu backlash?

I'd want a Power Man, but that's not the popular version of Luke Cage.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• stevenlore
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Oct 4, 2009

I'd love to get a Lizard. I miss mine so much.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                              One eyed, wonder
                              • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by The Bat
                              I disagree. Just the fact that they are in the 70's style of Adams & Aparo makes them a PERFECT fit for the Mego style. Mego made figures all through the 70's at the same time these artists were drawing the comics...what could be more appropriate?
                              Off the top my head, an Adams/Aparo 70s comicbook style Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Penguin, Joker and Catwoman?

Comment

• The Bat
                                Batman Fanatic
                                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                                Off the top my head, an Adams/Aparo 70s comicbook style Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Penguin, Joker and Catwoman?
                                So, I'm confused...are you agreeing with me now that Megos based on 70's artists would be appropriate?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎