Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backer Card Resource: Post/Share yours

Images
    I just posted these at the finished custom forum then I saw this. I'll repost the pics here along with some new ones.
    Spiderman Display ledy.jpg
    Spiderman Display Mego.jpg
    I created these for the clear plastic display cases with mirrored backs. I like mine better!
    Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
    The Misadventures of Captain Blog
    Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
    I shall be very proud and great.
    And tell the other girls and boys,
    not to meddle with my toys.
    -Robert Louis Stevenson

Probably a dumb question....
    I really want to make my own cards-these all look awesome! Do you go to a print shop to get them done? What type of cardboard/cardstock etc do you use? Is the only way to do it by going to a print shop or do people make these from home? I know a few guys make custom cards but I like to make as much myself as I can. Or is it too much trouble and just easier to commission them?
    Thank you for this thread!!!

-Diana

Images
    Blog Entries
    If I want a nice card, I usually commission one because I still am not to the point where I am satisfied with my efforts. If you are using a FTC clam you can pretty much print on whatever you want because the card isn't structural. If you want to do a card like Mego did that will support the bubble and figure without bending it's a little tougher. I rarely do it that way, and when I do I print each side on sticker paper and then apply it to card stock and trim with a razor knife. I'm a hack though, there are probably better ways to do it.

I call on Anthony Durso if I want something nice. I am also a big fan of Rhett's card art, but I don't know if he sells just cards. Rachel B has done some cool ones lately as well.

Images
    I print my own on HP photo paper, which can be expensive, but when you glue the front and back together, it makes a nice stiff backer card that will hold a figure in a bubble-no problem.

Thanks, EMCE!
    As much as I like making stuff myself, sometimes it is either too time consuming/frustrating to do and I just have to accept that I may not be good at it. I'm wanting to move into full custom figures ( right now I mostly do just heads), and I know how popular it is to have a figure carded.
    I love hearing different ways that people make stuff. And I am huge on re-using packaging, I have done it before on different scaled customs.
    Thank you! <3
    Diana

Quote Originally Posted by EMCE Hammer View Post
    If I want a nice card, I usually commission one because I still am not to the point where I am satisfied with my efforts. If you are using a FTC clam you can pretty much print on whatever you want because the card isn't structural. If you want to do a card like Mego did that will support the bubble and figure without bending it's a little tougher. I rarely do it that way, and when I do I print each side on sticker paper and then apply it to card stock and trim with a razor knife. I'm a hack though, there are probably better ways to do it.

I call on Anthony Durso if I want something nice. I am also a big fan of Rhett's card art, but I don't know if he sells just cards. Rachel B has done some cool ones lately as well.

I think I have some photo paper around! I may have to try that just to see if I can make anything decent!
    Thank you smonte! <3

Diana

Quote Originally Posted by smonte00 View Post
    I print my own on HP photo paper, which can be expensive, but when you glue the front and back together, it makes a nice stiff backer card that will hold a figure in a bubble-no problem.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I would but I don't have any. Really cool. Thanks