X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

new suckstore
    The Online outlet for studio exclusives produced by THE SUPER SUCKLORD from his NYC Chinatown Suckhole sweatshop
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• argent007
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 7, 2005

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! No matter what forum I join, I have to eventually see this crap somewhere."

Hahaha. I would think people would be over this crap by now. I saw he destroyed some CAH Batman and Robin figures to paint them solid pink or something. Some "art"...
      My Updated Want List:
      Comic book original art
      1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
      Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

Those weren't destroyed, they are resin casts like all this figures with the exception of those mashups he did for an exhibit which are kitbashed creations. Also, he takes apart vintage figures to creates molds in order to have parts to create new characters.

Also, it may not be ART for everyone but he has certainly helped spawn a new sub-culture of toy art. He is no longer the only game player but certainly the most well known.

Looking forward to the Zica/Castaway figures.

Originally posted by argent007
        I would think people would be over this crap by now. I saw he destroyed some CAH Batman and Robin figures to paint them solid pink or something. Some "art"...

Comment

• argent007
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 7, 2005

Thanks for letting me know he uses molds. That makes me feel better.
          My Updated Want List:
          Comic book original art
          1970s Hulk or Spider-man metal garbage can
          Custom Mego Nexus, Grendel

Have lots of comics and Marvel Legends figures for trades. Thanks!

Comment

• 4NDR01D
            Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
            • Jan 22, 2008

I follow him on instagram, and I'm constantly changing my mind between "he's a genius" and "he's a hack". I prefer the stuff being made by guys like Healymade and Killer bootlegs, but I doubt they'd be doing what they do without the suck lord inspiration.

Comment

• samurainoir
              Eloquent Member
              • Dec 26, 2006

^^^
              I think Sucklord generally should get the "first-in" cred, particularly the ironic hipster pose that is part and parcel with his stuff, but yeah Healymade and others have really picked up the ball and ran with it. It's funny though how Sucklord's even embraced folks riding on his coat-tails, particularly those with more skills and talent. He lends his name to a project and the price seems to go up automatically for something that would have sold for half that without the suckled brand.

But even outside of toys, the New York art scene is pretty much like this (this is no different than Warhol thirty-forty years ago), and embracing him seems to have created an audience outside the usual channels of toy collectors and created a weird "outsider" vibe for him beyond the regular vinyl art-toy crowd.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Normally i dig his stuff but the last batch seems kind of lazy and uninspired.

I'm not going to pretend that his success hasn't motivated me somewhat.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SeattleEd
                  SynthoRes Transmigrator
                  • Oct 24, 2007

Brian,

I agree. Haven't bought any of this latest drops but there is talk of doing some exclusive Megos on the West Cost in PDX. He had plans for some Mold-A-Rama boots but the cost per mold would create a low profit margin. I certainly felt the motivation factor with some attempts and I'm glad I own that Micro-Naughty piece you dropped. Very coolio.

As for newbie artists on the horizon, there is pretty interesting stuff surfacing and really digging the Manly Art stuff for sure since I'm a big SW fan.
                  Have to admit some the DKE exclusives at the Con were pretty great:

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

I attended a recent Art-Toy show at the Toronto Design exchange (with Brazoo) that featured a HUGE version of this one.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                      • Jan 22, 2008

Was this the "This is not a toy" show? My wife, daughter and my in laws went, unfortunately I didn't get to go.

Originally posted by samurainoir
                      I attended a recent Art-Toy show at the Toronto Design exchange (with Brazoo) that featured a HUGE version of this one.

Comment

• SentientApe
                        Career Member
                        • May 1, 2014

Originally posted by Access
                        ...On the other hand some of the content is simply obscene for the sake of being vulgar and offensive.
                        You just defined the nature of "Art."

Comment

• SentientApe
                          Career Member
                          • May 1, 2014

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                          I wouldn't pay a dime for that crap...
                          ...while YOU have defined the nature of an Art Collector.

Comment

• SentientApe
                            Career Member
                            • May 1, 2014

I agree with those who do not like his brand of "art," but I admire his spirit and his satiric sense of humor.

I wholeheartedly applaud Sucklord's deconstruction of the concept regarding what is a toy versus what is a worthless lump of molded plastic -- as the true value of such items lies only in the eyes of the beholder / collector / reseller / hoarder / nostalgist. To all you detractors -- remember that "Garbage Pail Kids" toys were once mainstream collectibles, while the 3.75" tall so-called "G. I. Joes" are often seen as an abomination by anyone over the age of 35.

All that being said, this Thread has motivated me. I am sorely tempted to create eight inches of plastic something based off Sucklord's line utilizing items out of this large pile of spare of T-1 bodies...

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              • Jan 22, 2008

That spacecase one has really familiar font, I just can't place it, some sort of website I frequent maybe?

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
                                That spacecase one has really familiar font, I just can't place it, some sort of website I frequent maybe?
                                It's called Alba and I've seen it too....
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎