Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sucklord's latest... usual star wars and mego mashups

I like Sucklord's art and the weirdness of them but the prices are way too high IMHO.

It is like any piece of art. A beautiful landscape original oil on canvas painting from some unknown and struggling artist is worth a few dollars while the National Gallery of Canada paid $1.76 million for a red stripe on a blue canvas http://queensjournal.ca/story/2009-0...uld-have-done/. Art is monetarily worth whatever the market can bear.

I'd be willing to buy Darth Macho for $50 http://www.storenvy.com/products/1696767-darth-macho but I would have a hard time paying current prices for Sucklord's pieces no matter how cool I thought they were.

- Marty

Images
    Blog Entries
    The Suckstore's prices have been increasing the last few years to reflect the demand shown for his figures on ebay. I know in the past I've been guilty of purchasing a few $50 figures and quickly flipping them for $100-$130 after they sell out.

I know he originally sold stuff for bootleg prices, but between the growing Hipster market, and the New York art scene embracing him, the demand is there and increases as the prices do.

Price is also all about perceived value. The basic marketing lesson of a decent bottle of wine that languishes on the shelf for $10, but can't be kept in stock when they raise it to $40.

The other fascinating thing is how he's really embraced those knocking off his knock-offs... he'll slap his name and packaging on it, and someone who sells their mash-up figures normally for $20-$50 suddenly can raise their prices to $100 per figure. It's a real Warhol thing going on.

And oddly enough, there was probably no greater commercial ad on television than his failed run on the reality show Work of Art. I noticed his popularity really skyrocketed after that... particularly if you look on ebay.

Blog Entries
    The Suckstore's prices have been increasing the last few years to reflect the demand shown for his figures on ebay. I know in the past I've been guilty of purchasing a few $50 figures and quickly flipping them for $100-$130 after they sell out.
    That happened with the Charlee Flatt customs, at one point he was very reasonable but then he got wind of people flipping the work for 4-5 times what they paid and went "hey!".

Images
    Blog Entries
    What is the loophole that allows them to use these likenesses and not get crushed by Disney?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    What is the loophole that allows them to use these likenesses and not get crushed by Disney?
    He's protected because it's very obvious parody (think Mad Magazine as the precedence... they won their case when DC/National came after them for Superduperman) as well, since he's shown in galleries and fully embraced by the art world he gets protected as capital "A" art that makes a statement... just like how Warhol was able to do the work he did. (and Disney has ultimately embraced by selling their versions)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Andy-WARHOL-...item485c0ca456

If these were just regular Sesame Street bootlegs, it would be one thing, he's added a layer of social commentary on top of what is essentially a hand crafted item.

Although if the Disny juggernaut did decide to come after you, they can simply bury you in sheer weight of legal fees and corporate muscle. as the publishers of Air Pirates funnies discovered back in 1971.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Pirates-...item19e5abfa1b

Images
    Blog Entries
    recasting little people Bert and Ernies are handcrafted? He boosted the sculpts of someone else. And that's a very thin layer of social commentary.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    recasting little people Bert and Ernies are handcrafted? He boosted the sculpts of someone else. And that's a very thin layer of social commentary.
    you can pretty much say the same thing about Warhol. Why didn't Disney crush him?

Not saying anyone has to like it, just explaining how it works and why he gets away with it.

I'm sure we'll be revisiting this line of conversation all over again few months from now when his Cast-a-Way Exclusive kickstarter figure starts to drop.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 6, '13 at 12:12 AM.

Hmm. I'm mixed on this stuff. On one hand I love the creativity and grasp of classic toy elements that he knows we'll all dig. On the other hand some of the content is simply obscene for the sake of being vulgar and offensive.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samurainoir View Post
    The other fascinating thing is how he's really embraced those knocking off his knock-offs... he'll slap his name and packaging on it, and someone who sells their mash-up figures normally for $20-$50 suddenly can raise their prices to $100 per figure. It's a real Warhol thing going on.
    Why is nobody making bootlegs of his stuff? Or are they? And would you buy a bootleg of a sucklord figure? Like, let's say one you like is going for, I dunno, $400? And somebody's making exact duplicates of it and selling it for $15-$20. would you want to own it? I just find the whole thing so strange.

People pay money for this crap?