X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
    I dig it, won't buy it but I like his stuff.

You can like other peoples weird visions without it being an insult to the customs folks here.
    Brian,

Agreed. It's a different breed that doesn't adhere to "traditional" boundaries of what is deemed to be a custom but rather the true definition of making something unique despite boundaries. I really enjoy your Micro-Naughty which to me is a unique twist on an old idea. Bootleg toyz customizerz, IMO, create art and it may not agree with many people's admiration but it does keep the idea and philosophy of "custom" evolving.
    For those who have not met $$L, he is a really nice guy and has high cred in the custom toyz culture. He's even helped perpetuate a new toyz counter-culture that has been gaining moment. For those not familiar with Designer Con, it's growing every year and worth checking out new designers. I've suggested several customizers on here go there and sell their warez. Hoping to see more 1/9 customs there in the future.

Comment

• SeattleEd
      SynthoRes Transmigrator
      • Oct 24, 2007

Samurainoir, thank you for keeping Suckedelic toyz in the limelight on the MM.

Cheers!

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by SeattleEd
        Brian,

Agreed. It's a different breed that doesn't adhere to "traditional" boundaries of what is deemed to be a custom but rather the true definition of making something unique despite boundaries. I really enjoy your Micro-Naughty which to me is a unique twist on an old idea. Bootleg toyz customizerz, IMO, create art and it may not agree with many people's admiration but it does keep the idea and philosophy of "custom" evolving.
        For those who have not met $$L, he is a really nice guy and has high cred in the custom toyz culture. He's even helped perpetuate a new toyz counter-culture that has been gaining moment. For those not familiar with Designer Con, it's growing every year and worth checking out new designers. I've suggested several customizers on here go there and sell their warez. Hoping to see more 1/9 customs there in the future.
        Love all the work but I never have the funds on hand to afford any of this stuff- so to stealing pictures of them online it shall be
        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Love all the work but I never have the funds on hand to afford any of this stuff

Seconded. What I find nifty about his stuff is that it all looks like weird 80's knockoff figures that you would have got for a buck back in the day.... except they're "objects d'art" and pull in huge prices.... which a lot of weird 80's knockoffs that were a buck back in the day do now 'cos they're "collector's items." He's just skipping the middleman. Or maybe the audience is. Good art always says as much about the audience as it does the subject.

Don C.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 22, 2012

Originally posted by ctc
            >Love all the work but I never have the funds on hand to afford any of this stuff

Seconded. What I find nifty about his stuff is that it all looks like weird 80's knockoff figures that you would have got for a buck back in the day.... except they're "objects d'art" and pull in huge prices.... which a lot of weird 80's knockoffs that were a buck back in the day do now 'cos they're "collector's items." He's just skipping the middleman. Or maybe the audience is. Good art always says as much about the audience as it does the subject.

Don C.

Agreed. I kind of like it. They are extremely well made. I like the fact that it is 80s toy knock off style. Even the attention to knock off detail is nice. Pictures not matching the figure too closely... Good stuff. Strange but interesting.
            Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• ubermanx
              Career Member
              • Jul 3, 2013

I like Sucklord's art and the weirdness of them but the prices are way too high IMHO.

It is like any piece of art. A beautiful landscape original oil on canvas painting from some unknown and struggling artist is worth a few dollars while the National Gallery of Canada paid $1.76 million for a red stripe on a blue canvas http://queensjournal.ca/story/2009-0...uld-have-done/. Art is monetarily worth whatever the market can bear.

I'd be willing to buy Darth Macho for $50 http://www.storenvy.com/products/1696767-darth-macho but I would have a hard time paying current prices for Sucklord's pieces no matter how cool I thought they were.

- Marty

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

The Suckstore's prices have been increasing the last few years to reflect the demand shown for his figures on ebay. I know in the past I've been guilty of purchasing a few $50 figures and quickly flipping them for $100-$130 after they sell out.

I know he originally sold stuff for bootleg prices, but between the growing Hipster market, and the New York art scene embracing him, the demand is there and increases as the prices do.

Price is also all about perceived value. The basic marketing lesson of a decent bottle of wine that languishes on the shelf for $10, but can't be kept in stock when they raise it to $40.

The other fascinating thing is how he's really embraced those knocking off his knock-offs... he'll slap his name and packaging on it, and someone who sells their mash-up figures normally for $20-$50 suddenly can raise their prices to $100 per figure. It's a real Warhol thing going on.

And oddly enough, there was probably no greater commercial ad on television than his failed run on the reality show Work of Art. I noticed his popularity really skyrocketed after that... particularly if you look on ebay.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

The Suckstore's prices have been increasing the last few years to reflect the demand shown for his figures on ebay. I know in the past I've been guilty of purchasing a few $50 figures and quickly flipping them for $100-$130 after they sell out.
                  That happened with the Charlee Flatt customs, at one point he was very reasonable but then he got wind of people flipping the work for 4-5 times what they paid and went "hey!".
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

What is the loophole that allows them to use these likenesses and not get crushed by Disney?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      What is the loophole that allows them to use these likenesses and not get crushed by Disney?
                      He's protected because it's very obvious parody (think Mad Magazine as the precedence... they won their case when DC/National came after them for Superduperman) as well, since he's shown in galleries and fully embraced by the art world he gets protected as capital "A" art that makes a statement... just like how Warhol was able to do the work he did. (and Disney has ultimately embraced by selling their versions)

If these were just regular Sesame Street bootlegs, it would be one thing, he's added a layer of social commentary on top of what is essentially a hand crafted item.

Although if the Disny juggernaut did decide to come after you, they can simply bury you in sheer weight of legal fees and corporate muscle. as the publishers of Air Pirates funnies discovered back in 1971.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

recasting little people Bert and Ernies are handcrafted? He boosted the sculpts of someone else. And that's a very thin layer of social commentary.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          recasting little people Bert and Ernies are handcrafted? He boosted the sculpts of someone else. And that's a very thin layer of social commentary.
                          you can pretty much say the same thing about Warhol. Why didn't Disney crush him?

Not saying anyone has to like it, just explaining how it works and why he gets away with it.

I'm sure we'll be revisiting this line of conversation all over again few months from now when his Cast-a-Way Exclusive kickstarter figure starts to drop.
                          Last edited by samurainoir; Dec 6, '13, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Access
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 22, 2013

Hmm. I'm mixed on this stuff. On one hand I love the creativity and grasp of classic toy elements that he knows we'll all dig. On the other hand some of the content is simply obscene for the sake of being vulgar and offensive.

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                              Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                              • Jan 22, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              The other fascinating thing is how he's really embraced those knocking off his knock-offs... he'll slap his name and packaging on it, and someone who sells their mash-up figures normally for $20-$50 suddenly can raise their prices to $100 per figure. It's a real Warhol thing going on.
                              Why is nobody making bootlegs of his stuff? Or are they? And would you buy a bootleg of a sucklord figure? Like, let's say one you like is going for, I dunno, $400? And somebody's making exact duplicates of it and selling it for $15-$20. would you want to own it? I just find the whole thing so strange.

Comment

• The Amazing Mutato
                                • Jan 2, 2008

People pay money for this crap?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍