Career Member
      • Jun 12, 2010

Here's a shark

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Man, I KNEW there were sharks in Illinois!! Great looking fish, he could be repackaged for Batman '66 too.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Legend of Link
          Career Member
          • Jun 12, 2010

Better picture of the shark from earlier

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• Remco Monster
            GLOWS in the Dark!
            • May 3, 2006

This is amazing! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

the old shark bait and switch.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• noelani72
                27inaleon
                • Jun 25, 2002

lol, well thank you Link for the shark pics....but, now on to business

Back before winter, this is what I had to work with, which were derived from rushed 3D scans of ScottA's shark (thank you brother!)
                forum002.jpg

Now, these are prototypes. Neither have their propeller just yet as I am still designing it.
                The 1:1 shark seen in the next picture IS thee actual parts from seen in the above pic - all those pieces bondo'ed together, sanded and filled..sanded and filled.
                The entire tail/battery section was redesigned to be one-piece that slides into place and is then permanently affixed. This was done because I was spending too much time dealing with molding options, that this route gave me an exit strategy to 3D print them incase molding didn't happen - well, molding has not happened - and if I am going to meet a MegoMeet 2014 deadline....

Once this 1:1 shark was done, I re-scanned it to created all newly engineered digital files. Now, the way I have designed it, I can print the entire 1:1 scale Shark in just three pieces - Upper jaw, Main Body (hollow, but the throat is blocked off), Tail/Battery section. If the Makerbot was a bit bigger on the Z-Axis, I could have made the Tail part of the main body...but ohh well. It takes around 27hrs to print all three pieces.....and despite the level of smooth-quality I get from the printer, I have TONS of repair work to do to sand down support-material. Support material is required on the main body because it does not lay flat and is the only option I have with the technology. Since I have a background in painting cars and doing this type of body work, meh, no big deal...but it does consume time...time that would be eliminated if I molded the darn thing....but molds were going to add significant cost to this project and I was not willing to jack the price up higher for y'all.

Once I had the clean digital files made, then it's just a matter of what to do with them.
                So, I shrunk the little guy to make the Super Powers accessory. Megocrazy was in the suite while I was scanning and gave me the idea. I actually printed a very, very poorly rough baby-shark that weekend and Toyman_Chris has it ;-)
                I am in design-phase of a JAWS playset. The shark definitely will feature a different upper jaw, one that has nostrils.

The moment you've been waiting for - the moment I know "I" have been waiting for......

(pics have watermarks cuz some pics I posted here a while back got taken and used, and this is a pretty important project.)

forum001.jpg

Looks especially nice as a collection centerpiece if I don't say so myself...
                forum003.jpg

This is a prototype box with insert. I am waiting on the rest of my prints to arrive.
                photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Comment

• kresge1
                  Museum_Bozo
                  • Jun 20, 2001

Awesome
                  Looks great. Where do we pre-order!
                  Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

It really turned out great! Congrats!

- Ian
                    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

You are impossibly talented. So very well done! With all the work you put into those, you should let a factory produce a line of those. I think you would be well rewarded! Great job!

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

thanks folks!
                        I'm at a production point on the sharks (finally, whew).
                        I am waiting to hear back from the print shop on final costs and shipping eta.

I hit a bit of a snag this week working on anything, and probably next week too.
                        My Grandma had major surgery and will be down and out for a good while.
                        My Grandpa has lost 90% of his sight, so I've been caring for him every day while she's out.
                        In the middle of all this, I had a job interview - if I get hired, that really throws a monkey wrench into everything, but a fella needs a job.

My goal was ten boxed sharks for MM - still doable, but I foresee a lot of late nights and cutting down to the wire on this deal.
                        The uncertainty has kept me from listing any type of pre-order/deposits.

I had some thoughts - this is kind of a big deal. the original plan was to not get too carried away with repro sets...in my mind, 20 boxed sharks was about it. After that, the box is retired, but the shark could still be done. I will make a change (ie, black propeller instead of red) so it stands out from the initial, very special run.
                        Also to be noted, the box was derived from a real one - I made subtle tweaks so it can be identified as repro. There was a suggestion I sign & number the outside of each box - that's doable depending on how y'all would feel about that. There's a nice open spot on the backside to do exactly that.
                        Since I didn't have to endure the added costs of molds and resin, and build a rotocast assembly, I am fairly certain the price is more than fair - if a real Shark sells for approx $1200 loose, figure a boxed repro to fall around 10% of that. ;-)

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ If that is the case, that is a very good price. I think you would sell them all easily.
                          Last edited by MIB41; May 9, '14, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Hedji
                            Citizen of Gotham
                            • Nov 17, 2012

I would be interested at that price, and you would probably sell those 20 very quickly.

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

paid the bill to the printer yesterday. Ouch. lol
                              He was down and out for a good week due to a scratch on his eye.

I spent all last week, and 90% of this week caring for my grandparents.
                              Grandma is home and recovering well, and my Mom can now step in and help more so I can get back on projects.

New dilemma is the weather. Over the past weekend it got so hot, we had to turn the AC on for two days.
                              Front moved in, got back into the 40's overnight and the furnace has been running.
                              I gotta have warmer temps out in the garage to work on these guys...fingers crossed unseasonably cold temps don't last long.

Here's the box design for the Super Powers shark:
                              teaserreveal.jpg

Comment

• Vinny0026
                                Year Five!!
                                • Jan 26, 2012

This looks awesome!! I love it, and love what you guys are doing with this scanner!

sign me up for one!
                                "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎