• Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Great White Shark

Hello group.
    This has been a long time coming.
    I told Mikey about my desire to do this project many years ago and it is finally taking shape.

Over the years, I have played the game and tried outright buying an original Shark - but that has never worked in my favor.
    Even downright busting a BIN eBay auction a few months back and the seller canceling the transaction has not stopped me wanting this piece.

There's this little thing called Mego Meet. If you haven't heard about it, look it up lol
    A gracious benefactor allowed me to model his original Shark.
    So, until the wee hours in the morning one night, I was up 3D scanning the shark.
    The process is tedious, and slow…and I really didn't get the scans required to build it, so I have a fair amount of work to do.
    Having that said, my shark will not be identical to the original.
    Throughout this process, you'll notice variations, but my goal is to offer a low cost alternative piece to add to your Mego displays.
    This will also be a very limited item, but I have ideas to do other things with it other than complimenting the Aquaman VS GWS playset.

In addition to the 3D scans, I have obtained the original artwork for the playset. I have already had cost estimates given to me on having the box professionally done and that path is underway.

So, surely most of you have seen the work that The Boy, aka Legend of Link, and myself have been doing with 3D printing on the Makerbot Replicator 2.
    It was a good challenge to dial in and make it print reliably, and our results have gotten remarkable. I have added a secret step to the finishing process to make the off-the-bed prints look even better.

There's been this running joke about the Shark being cursed - it very well just might be, but hopefully this pacifies the spirits for the better good.

I have briefly discussed with Steve and Brian about dialing this in to Mego Meet 2014 somehow and even if it doesn't, my goal is to have a run done by June 2014 (somehow lol).
    I doubt this thread will have daily,or even weekly updates - heck, I might not have time to really detail everything I am doing, but the cat is out of the bag and for all those chomping at the bit (no pun intended) to get one, I just ask for patience :-)

Again, I cannot express THANK YOU enough to the folks who volunteered and helped me get this far.

Enough said - onto some pics.

shark_scan.jpg

shark_proto000.jpg

shark_dentures.jpg
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

shark_proto003.jpg

shark_proto002.jpg

shark_proto001.jpg

shark_proto004.jpg

shark_boxed.jpg

Comment

• Legend of Link
      Career Member
      • Jun 12, 2010

Combine this with the Mego Shower Curtains going around and bath time will be a brand new experience.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
        Moderation Engineer
        • Aug 14, 2003

Looking good guys. That pic of the shark with spot putty reminds me of the quarter panels on my 70 Nova.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

I like it. And it's no secret he scanned my shark that I brought to MM.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

That's very cool. I wish you the very best of luck and hope all of your hard work and the contributions from others pays off. It would be cool to see a completed reproduction of this rare piece.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

You are one seriously dedicated dude. Like a dog with a bone. Amazing job.
              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                Permanent Member
                • Mar 7, 2011

Can't wait for the finished product... Glad I don't have to keep the secret any longer

Comment

• rob_moz
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 7, 2011

Just got an original Boxed Shark in at me and my brother's toy store. Pics are at the link below.

Very interested in what you are doing, please keep me updated on your progress!!!

Link below:

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

thanks everyone for the support.
                    ScottA is da'man - couldn't be this far without him, and I can't say THANK YOU enough or loud enough.
                    The artwork is still secret and if they wish to step forward, that's entirely up to them :-)
                    I wish they would so I could publicly pat em on the back!

There were five folks in that hotel room as the Shark came to surface; so I wasn't really sure who all eventually found out during that Mego Meet weekend, but it sure has been tough sitting quietly until now.

We've seen three Sharks on ebay this year, the one I bust the BIN on that mysteriously became unavailable and my money returned to me...the boxed one...and the loose one just recently.

Had Scott not done what he'd done, I'd been all over that last auction and probably divorced with what I would have spent lol.
                    It is a huge project, probably biting off more than I can chew to set a June deadline on a few...but we'll see what happens.
                    I am honestly looking at starting another print and making some changes there first, so i could be back to square one...
                    One thing I know for sure is, there is light at the end of this tunnel.
                    The only things stopping me from finishing are;
                    Death
                    Figures Inc coming out with one in the near future (since they apparently have everything else)
                    Last edited by noelani72; Nov 8, '13, 7:40 AM.

Comment

• Chris
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 23, 2009

Amazing! If you sell it I'm getting one.
                      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

FTC stuff isn't out yet lol.

Kudos to you for your vision, dedication, & perseverance--it looks great so far.

As a Mego & Aquaman fan, I'd love a repro.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Vinny0026
                          Year Five!!
                          • Jan 26, 2012

This is beyond awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would buy one of these for sure!! just awesome!!!
                          "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I'd have given up ten tries ago. Nice work gents, I particularly like it in red and black.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

I'd definitely be in for one. I hope they will be available outside Mego Meet for those of us who can't make it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎