X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Mego Bizarro: A Mr. Mxyzptlk Trick?

Tonight I posted a brand new Blog, the third in my series of "Mego copyright and trademark" articles. I am so pleased by the outpouring of comments and interest in the first two Blogs, and I hope this one elicits similar discussion and excitement.

Read the blog.

Thanks!

Benjamin
    Last edited by imp; Feb 26, '08, 1:07 AM.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Interesting!
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• imp
      Mego Book Author
      • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by The Toyroom
      Interesting!
      Thanks Anthony!

If I knew how to edit the TITLE of a thread, I wouldn't have to 'give away the farm' trying to capture the direct URL for my Blog. Sigh.

Anyway, the Blog is now live. I hope y'all enjoy it.

Benjamin

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Interesting indeed. You would think it a no-brainer for Mego to do a Bizarro. All they needed was a new sculpt and they could've easily taken an existing one and altered it a bit, minor work. And reversing a Superman emblem is no biggie either.
        I can somewhat understand Mego not doing Creature from the Black Lagoon because of AHI being first or because of copyright infringments, but why not do Bizarro? Still, Mxy was somewhat popular back then, he even appeared in a couple of Batman comics, teaming up with Bat-Mite. I guess it's all about timing. Whoever decided on Mxy must've just seen him on the cover of a comic. Had Bizarro been on that comic maybe there would've been one now.
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• imp
          Mego Book Author
          • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
          Interesting indeed. You would think it a no-brainer for Mego to do a Bizarro. All they needed was a new sculpt and they could've easily taken an existing one and altered it a bit, minor work. And reversing a Superman emblem is no biggie either.

I can somewhat understand Mego not doing Creature from the Black Lagoon because of AHI being first or because of copyright infringments, but why not do Bizarro? Still, Mxy was somewhat popular back then, he even appeared in a couple of Batman comics, teaming up with Bat-Mite. I guess it's all about timing. Whoever decided on Mxy must've just seen him on the cover of a comic. Had Bizarro been on that comic maybe there would've been one now.
          I absolutely agree, Thomas. For what it's worth, I think Mr. Mxyzptlk is a superior choice to Bizarro. Aside from the fact that, according to Kublan at least, Mxyzptlk was a reasonable choice at the time, I think Mego's decision gives us a wildly different toy to collect. Mego's "imp" from the 5th Dimension is vastly different than a modified Superman figure, from head to toe.

Given the minor changes necessary (new head, reverse logo and packaging), I personally feel Bizarro would have resulted in a very boring Mego figure. Sure, it would have been cost-effective — kinda cool, even — but where's the play value? We may never know whether Mego made a cost- or aesthetic-decision here, but I am happy they never made a Bizarro figure.

That said, as a student of Mego Super-Heroes, I am also thrilled to know that Bizarro's existence was a distinct possibility, perhaps on several occasions.

Benjamin

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

You're probably right, Ben. The differences between Superman and Bizarro are so small that Mego probably dropped him because it would be too confusing for little children: two different figures looking almost exactly the same. Then again, remember Cornelius and Galen?
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Ah---such a tough debate---

"Easy to make" vs. "A retread of another figure in the line"

I think the winner for me would hinge on the answer to: "Just exactly HOW easy
              would've it have been to make a BIZARRO figure?"

I mean---if it was laughably easy to do it (we're talkin' new sculpt, new emblem,
              new logo on card---colored hands--the whole shebang)---then the idea of the figure
              being unwarranted merely because its a retread or confusing to children just couldn't
              hold up for me personally.

I remember seeing Bizarro on the SF for the first time as quite a little kid (8 I believe)
              and thinking "What the heck?" .............for like half a second. Then I loved the guy.
              Another guy with SUPERMAN'S powers? A BAD guy? -------All right!
              Last edited by huedell; Feb 26, '08, 6:25 AM.
              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Very cool Benjamin. Gotta say though, as a kid, I'd much rather have Bizarro over Mxy. My son is constantly taking two Superman figures and making one Bizarro. Even though he has a few official Bizarro figures! Never underestimate the alure of the "evil twin". From Professor Zoom to Star Trek's "Mirror, Mirror" its a winner every time.

I'm surprised frugal, cost-effective, recycling-friendly Mego didn't jump on this like crazy.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

For me, I think Bizarro would've had more "play value" than Mr. Mxyzptlk. That's why I always passed on Mxy's MIB whenever I was at K-B Toys back in the 70s. Didn't appeal to me...
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

Very interesting. Any thoughts that Bizarro might have been the first in a possible second wave of DC villains?
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• megozilla13
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 10, 2002

Interesting. I'm confused though, were they trying to trademark the name? It already belonged to DC.

Hey Ben, have any ex-mego employees contacted you since the book was released?

mikej
                      WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Bionic Joe
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 10, 2006

I think it would have been a poor choice, As a kid it would have been hard to con my mom into buying me that figure, She would have said you all ready have Superman why do you need a second one?

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Wow - I never thought about sticking a zombie head and revesing my emble scan to make Bizzaro - maybe I will.

Cool Stuff.

I mentioned it in my Superboy TV series thread but will restate here for relevence -The second my sculpt and the costume and body look identical to the Micheal J Pollard character on Superboy. Of course the part was cast 10 years after the scuplt was made. I wonder if the Mego figure was used as reference for the casting and costume design?

Comment

• imp
                            Mego Book Author
                            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by ScottA
                            Very interesting. Any thoughts that Bizarro might have been the first in a possible second wave of DC villains?
                            I think the evidence suggests Mego considered Bizarro for both the 1st and (hypothetical) 2nd Foes Waves. The date on the USPTO listing puts their submission around 1974-75, while Baiera's notes were taken in 1977-78.

Originally posted by megozilla13
                            Interesting. I'm confused though, were they trying to trademark the name? It already belonged to DC.
                            Not true, and that never stopped Mego from submitting trademark applications anyway. Not only did Mego attempt to register other properties (Star Trek and WGSH characters, for examples), they didn't hesitate to submit paperwork for REAL people like Sitting Bull and others. Mego was actually quite savvy regarding the law. That's why I find it ironic Mego could never protect their OWN name!

Originally posted by megozilla13
                            Hey Ben, have any ex-mego employees contacted you since the book was released?
                            No.

Benjamin

Comment

• megozilla13
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 10, 2002

Originally posted by imp

No.

Benjamin
                              Its probably too soon yet. I was hoping it would bring a few out that would be able to solve some of the mysteries although the speculation is probably more fun in the end.

mikej
                              WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎