Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE Phantom of the Opera...toy perfection.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego maniac mark
    Career Member
    • Aug 3, 2010

Here's my......John Hancock
    please continue the line!
    Pretty please
    mego's befo ho's

Comment

• dr_cyclops
      One eyed, wonder
      • Dec 17, 2009

This line needs to go so much further, Phantom proved it. That figure is a grand tribute to Lon Chaney!
      Which leads back to the title of this thread:EMCE Phantom of the Opera...toy perfection.

Comment

• raycastile
        Museum Super Collector
        • Sep 11, 2004

I think the Phantom makes a fitting climax to an impressive series of eight monster toys. I like it when people quit while they're ahead. It displays integrity. Given the current realities of Universal licensing and the toy market, where else could they have gone with this line? Mole Man, Hunchback. Those would have been peg warmers. In my dreams, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Dracula would have looked as good as the Phantom. But they didn't, and that's ok. They still look pretty good, all things considered. I can't imagine this line having the depth that Sideshow had. I don't think the market would support it.

I would sure love to see a toy manufacturer tackle a licensed series of non-Universal classic movie monsters. Sideshow dabbled with that in their 12" line. It might require negotiating licensing between different studios who don't like their characters being marketed alongside other studios' characters. But for some reason, that doesn't seem to be a huge obstacle when it comes to modern horror toys from McFarlane, NECA, etc. But with classic horror licensing, it just "can't be done."

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
          Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
          • Mar 3, 2010

First of all, I suppose I should apologize to Enyawd73- I know I certainly didn't mean to hijack your thread and try to turn it into something else. Maybe I should start a different thread.

I also think that "quitting while your ahead to display integrity" does not apply and has nothing to do with this situation. The line kept getting better and better, (in my opinion), and I can imagine the line continuing to get better still with a Dr Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde figure, an Invisible Man figure, as well as a Hunchback and/or Moleman. In fact, the first few figures of this line are sold out, and I'm sure the next waves will sell out in time. As a manufacturer, what else can be more proof that the "market CAN support it" other than your product completely selling out?

What I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant here. It's Diamond's decision, and all I can do is voice my opinion in the most positive way possible.
          Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

For sure they had at least one more strong wave with the Invisible Man and the Hunchback. Werewolf of London would be a good contender for the line, too.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by galaxyexplorer42
              First of all, I suppose I should apologize to Enyawd73- I know I certainly didn't mean to hijack your thread and try to turn it into something else. Maybe I should start a different thread.

I also think that "quitting while your ahead to display integrity" does not apply and has nothing to do with this situation. The line kept getting better and better, (in my opinion), and I can imagine the line continuing to get better still with a Dr Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde figure, an Invisible Man figure, as well as a Hunchback and/or Moleman. In fact, the first few figures of this line are sold out, and I'm sure the next waves will sell out in time. As a manufacturer, what else can be more proof that the "market CAN support it" other than your product completely selling out?

What I or anyone else thinks is irrelevant here. It's Diamond's decision, and all I can do is voice my opinion in the most positive way possible.
              No apology necessary, and I totally agree. In fact, given the secondary market prices on earlier figures in the line, I'd say the demand is there not only for re-releases of those figures, but maybe improvements as well? How about an actual Karloff Frankenstein? An improved Wolfman, and a Chaney Jr. Mummy? I'd also love a London After Midnight vampire.

Comment

• DSTZach
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 1, 2012

Not sure all of those characters you named are available to us, for various reasons, but definitely Ask DST about re-releases, as well!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎