Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE Phantom of the Opera...toy perfection.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
    Phantom Sock Maker would be a really cool job description.
    You would knit them, right?
    With Mego scale knitting needles!
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
      Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
      • Mar 3, 2010

The Phantom is tied for my second favorite Monster in this line. Ya know what? I put socks on my Phantom. And my Dracula. And I changed my Dracula's hands to the glow Spell hands from Doc's website. (The absurdity of a 46 year old man buying socks for his dolls did NOT escape me.) While it really wasn't a big deal, I DID find myself saying to myself, "I want my Phantom to have socks..." It makes the shoes fit snugger, and makes the figure more perfect. I got about 8 pairs of socks from the CTVT website a couple years ago, and all my re-Megos that didn't come with socks now have socks. It's silly, I know.
      I really want this line to continue. I am VERY bummed that they cancelled it. I just can't let it go. I want to start a petition or something. Does anyone from Diamond visit this site? Dudes- Come ON...?!?! How the heck could you have cancelled this line? Mr Hyde, Invisible Man, Hunchback, Moleman... We gotta have those guys in this Retro cloth line...
      Last edited by galaxyexplorer42; Nov 12, '13, 1:57 PM.
      Galaxy Explorer

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

I'm sold on socks for any Mego that wears pants and shoes. I first noticed the shoes needed socks on my custom Tomland/Mego The Fly. The shoes kept falling off the feet. I've purchased two Wizard from the OZ line and the shoes fall off all the time. Even though the ankles are often covered by the pant cuffs, it's nice to have the shoes fit snug on the doll feet.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2012

It kinda does seem like a small "silly" thing when you think about it. HA! How absurd is putting socks on an action figure?!?! Right???
          I'll tell you somethin...in my opinion, it gives the figures a more finished look. I put socks on all of my customs that should have them and I will continue to do so. Heck, even my Clark, Bruce, Dick and Peter SI/AE have em on.
          Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

Maybe the socks are actually there, but we just can't see them, being phantom socks and all...

Before "The Phantom Socks" need to get their own section in the forum (and they are really just a small detail), I feel it's time to get back on topic, and return to celebrating the greatest Classic Horror 8" of all time, The Phantom.
            The way I see, EMCE saved the best until last, I love this guy. The sculpt and paints are perfection, and so is the outfit.
            Eric rules!
            Now I'm off to play my organ!
            Wait, that didn't sound right...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Hamonrye
              • Jan 4, 2008

Just chiming in here to add to the Phantom love. I wasn't going to pick him up initially-- the Metaluna Mutant had dibs on my dollar-- but I couldn't resist.

I especially like that he's a true traditional figure with a removable costume, assuming that the hands can pass through the sleeves. I'm not stripping him down anytime soon but I like to know I can access the body in case maintenance or repair is needed.

Praise also for the superb jacket, and the optional cloak. If this really is the last fig it's a great one to go out on.

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Metaluna Mutant, was my first desire, but when I saw the Phantom, I had to get one. As beautiful as this series was, these last two were the only ones that really grabbed my attention and $.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Finally found the Phantom and Mutant at TRU tonight. I was beginning to think I wouldn't find them and be able to complete my set. They are very nice.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• fallensaviour
                    Talkative Member
                    • Aug 28, 2006

Not seeing any at TRU here at all?
                    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                      One eyed, wonder
                      • Dec 17, 2009

Yesterday my friend Eric (who I consider to be an expert on classic horror movies) and I, were attempting to brainstorm some ideas for custom Mego monsters. He is one of two friends I'm making a Nosferatu and London After Midnight for. Of the two friends, he is new to the remego hobby.
                      He suggested a Phantom of the Opera. I told him EMCE had already release a beautiful version, and I knew where (in town) there were two available. Excited, he says: Are they in the same scale as your stuff? After confirming so, he jumped up and drove off to purchase one. No sooner was he out the door, I realized I wanted another one to open and display. I text him to purchase one for me if still available. When he returned with two, I attempted to pay him for the Phantom. His reply, no money, just get me a pair of socks.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by dr_cyclops
                        When he returned with two, I attempted to pay him for the Phantom. His reply, no money, just get me a pair of socks.
                        So if I send your friend more socks, do I get an extra Phantom as well?
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                          So if I send your friend more socks, do I get an extra Phantom as well?
                          Too late! He only needed one pair.

Comment

• DSTZach
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by galaxyexplorer42
                            I really want this line to continue. I am VERY bummed that they cancelled it. I just can't let it go. I want to start a petition or something. Does anyone from Diamond visit this site? Dudes- Come ON...?!?! How the heck could you have cancelled this line? Mr Hyde, Invisible Man, Hunchback, Moleman... We gotta have those guys in this Retro cloth line...
                            Sorry, I don't come by here much. Write in to DSTChuck (the president) via Ask DST at artasylum.com. He reads all of the questions submitted, and I'm sure he'd love to hear how much people want the line to continue. That said, the EMCE guys are also working on some new projects for us, so hopefully they will be as well-received. (Of course they will!)

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

^^Hi Zach! We'll have to write in about the success of the EMCE Monster line! Thanks for the tip.
                              I'd love to see EMCE continue the line, develop new lines, and tackle a Marvel license to do what FTC is doing with DC right now.. a clash of the titans and the consumer wins!

Comment

• galaxyexplorer42
                                Monsters,Creatures,Aliens
                                • Mar 3, 2010

Thanks for responding Zach, and thanks for the advice. I will follow your instruction and do just what you've instructed.
                                Does anyone think it will prove beneficial for me to write up a petition telling DSTChuck how much we all love this line, and want it to continue? I'll write it up, and maybe with the moderators help, we can get as many members as we can to sign it and then send it to Chuck. It will probably be more persuasive if there are more members involved than just me. It couldn't hurt. We'll see what he says. What do you guys think?
                                Galaxy Explorer

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎