Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE Phantom of the Opera...toy perfection.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

EMCE Phantom of the Opera...toy perfection.

I finally found one of these today at TRU, and I was left speechless. This is, IMO, the single best 8" retro figure ever produced, AND the best Phantom of the Opera figure ever produced.

This is truly toy perfection. The sculpt is dead-on Chaney, and is even better than either of the Sideshow 8" or 12" versions. Likewise with the paint. This is the first Phantom to get all the aspects of the makeup correct, from the downturned corners of the mouth, to the thin highlight just below the eyes. The costume is fantastic. I was blown away by the many different layers, all perfectly tailored and natural looking...no small feat at this scale. The clothing looks more natural here than on the larger 12" Sideshow figure.

My highest compliments to everyone who worked on this figure...you have created a masterpiece that every collector should be proud to own.
  • jonwes
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 17, 2011

Can't wait to get both of these! They are on their way to me from BBTS.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I just wish he got socks like Drac did.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• fallensaviour
        Talkative Member
        • Aug 28, 2006

I checked all the TRU's around here and don't see any monster figures.
        I'm hoping for a score in the marketplace sooner or later.
        All I need is Bride(taken care off I think),Phantom and metulanta(I'm okay without this one).
        So with any luck I'll find a phantom soon enough.
        “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Legend of Link
          Career Member
          • Jun 12, 2010

Originally posted by fallensaviour
          I checked all the TRU's around here and don't see any monster figures.
          I'm hoping for a score in the marketplace sooner or later.
          All I need is Bride(taken care off I think),Phantom and metulanta(I'm okay without this one).
          So with any luck I'll find a phantom soon enough.
          In regards to the the Metaluna..... I honestly didn't like the idea ever since he was announced. But once I saw the figure in person, I actually liked him just as much as my Creature, whom I thought was the nicest monster made until the Phantom was released.

Just get him to have him. You won't regret it

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r561/Sgordy199/ <- My Mego Pictures

Comment

• Zemo
            Still Smokin'
            • Feb 14, 2006

Just ordered the set from entertainment. Can't wait, have them all.

Comment

• fallensaviour
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Legend of Link
              In regards to the the Metaluna..... I honestly didn't like the idea ever since he was announced. But once I saw the figure in person, I actually liked him just as much as my Creature, whom I thought was the nicest monster made until the Phantom was released.

Just get him to have him. You won't regret it
              I'm sure I'll get a mintaloona sooner or later just so I have a full set.As of now it's just a Bride and Phantom that I crave.
              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• jimm
                • Dec 16, 2007

I regret not picking up the Wolfman as he's gotten a pit pricey

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

yeah,i love that Phantom great figure,the first time i saw his face ,was up in the corner of famous monsters magazine,i always thought what a cool
                  figure he would be ,i bought three sets of these figures -fantastic.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I fully agree, the Phantom is absolute perfection.
                    What an amazing headsculpt, and the paint job is equally good.
                    Great outfit, love the small buttons and perfectly scaled bow tie. As always, EMCE Toys shows everyone else just how it needs to be done.

And yes, some socks would have been a nice touch, but as we can guess, the laundry service in the Parisian catacombs is just dreadful. No wonder Eric is so upset, they've shrunk his favorite socks yet again!

I can't imagine an 8" figure topping the Phantom, but that's what I thought of Creature last year...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

They're both pretty epic, its been a good year for ReMego stuff but these two were really the best.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

The Creature is still my favorite, but I do love the Phantom. I don't know if his hands are the same as any of the other monsters, maybe the Frankenstein monster, but they are perfectly suited for organ playing. I made sure he sits well enough for it, so now I'm on the lookout for an in-scale one. Even an old timey piano would look cool. I agree about the socks, and I do wish he came with a mask.
                        There's one thing I've noticed about modern/repro/ReMego costumes in general - We're getting some very nice costumes and suits on these characters. Is there any alternative to the snap at the back of the neck? Maybe just lower it a little or find something thinner? This is a relatively small gripe, but it does affect the fit of the jackets and cloaks, it seems like a shame. For my Phantom, I'm just going to remove the snap and put one or two little hand stitches in to secure his shirt. It's not like I'm planning to undress him.
                        Last edited by Bizarro Amy; Nov 3, '13, 12:17 PM.
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I would take it one step further and say the ENTIRE EMCE monster series has been a ten star performance from start to finish. There's not a throw away in that lot. Each character is done to complete perfection. It's so nice to finally have these iconic monsters in such high quality form. And the best part? No one got put over the barrel on prices for the privilege... AND it's a high demand license too. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• Goblin19
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 2, 2002

Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• drmego
                              EMCE Toys
                              • Jun 15, 2001

SOCKS???? YOU WANT SOCKS!!!! Brian Leitner made the suit. My assistant Carolyn did the cloak and the awesome paint job.
                              And all you guys can talk about is the lack of socks?!!!!!

Did Clark Kent have socks? Suddenly I have to sit and sewn tiny little socks for the scary monsters!!!

The Bride of Frankenstein didn't have any shoes but nobody minded that!

Fine. I'll start including socks with every figure from now on. Happy?
                              www.drmego.com
                              www.megoman.com
                              www.emcetoys.com

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎