• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOU
    Museum FIN-atic
    • Nov 20, 2003

Hybrid Thor hammer?

Hey Guys!
    I recently acquired a Thor hammer. It is original Mego for sure but it seems to be a hybrid hammer of the ones shown the MM's "Accessory Check." In reference to the image below, mine has the bottom left as the top of the hammer and the top right as the bottom of the hammer. It seems to be a hybrid of the two mentioned here on MM. Anyone else hear of this?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Lou, my understanding is that the hammer can be assembled at the factory either way: by putting the handle through the hole (which IMO is incorrect), or by putting the button through the hole (which to me seems correct/looks better).

I'm confused by the accessory check pix...
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 15, '13, 9:44 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LOU
      Museum FIN-atic
      • Nov 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Lou, my understanding is that the hammer can be assembled at the factory either way: by putting the handle through the hole (which IMO is incorrect), or by putting the button through the hole (which to me seems correct/looks better).

I'm confused by the accessory check pix...
      Thanks PNGwynne! Yeah the MM pic confuses me too as it appears they are saying there are only two hammer variations. That's why I figured I'd ask here. It's strange...I have only the "button" on top of my hammer with no rectangular cut-out. The bottom of my hammer does have that rectangular cut-out. However here in the MM pic, it appears there were only two...with one hammer with rectangular cut-outs on top and the bottom and the other with no rectangular cut-out. Mine is somewhere in between. I suspect you are probably right, perhaps they started, at some point during production, assembling the hammers with both pieces. Here's a pic of my hammer...top and bottom, so you can see what I am talking about...

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I got a Doc one that's like yours, if that helps any. (So there's at least two of 'em that were made; yours and his original.)

Don C.

Comment

• LOU
          Museum FIN-atic
          • Nov 20, 2003

Thanks for the reply Don! May I please ask if you can tell me if the hammer handle is somewhat flexible on your repro? If this is a repro hammer I'm going to seriously rip someone a new one on E-bay. This was bid on and purchased as an original Mego Thor hammer. I hope, for the seller's sake, it's real because if there's one thing in this world I NEVER forget, it's when I'm screwed by someone...and this guy doesn't want to get on my bad side. I specifically asked him if this was 100% original Mego. If he lied to me...he's going to wish he sold it to someone else. To me it feels too soft to be a repro though...it's not a hard resin. The hammer handle is bendable to a degree. The guy had great E-bay feedback and the bidding went relatively high so there was a lot of people bidding on it...that also led me to believe this must be real...I can't see that many people bidding on something unless they were sure it was as advertised. Thanks Don!

Comment

• LOU
            Museum FIN-atic
            • Nov 20, 2003

Okay, someone on Facebook just solved this for me. Apparently the Thor hammers all had one side the knob and the other side the rectangular cut out. Whether or not the knob was alone on top, or the knob with the rectangular cut out was on top; the other end was the opposite. So unless I am misunderstanding this...the MM "Accessory Check" photos are the source of the confusion. Looking at those MM pics...it seems they are positioned wrong as it makes it appear there was a Thor hammer with no rectangular part at all...just a handle with a knob on top stuck through the head of the hammer. This, as best as I can tell, does not exist as all hammers have a rectangular cut out either on top or the bottom. In other words, the first row of pics of Thor's hammer above as it appears here on the MM, appears to be a hammer with just the handle and a knob on top (top left and bottom left pics.)

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

I'll have to take a look at the Accessory Check to see how/if it's confusing matters, but as I've always understood it, the rectangular cut will either be at the top or the bottom, depending on which way the two parts were assembled in the factory. So yours just sounds like one of the normal two ways it could be assembled Lou, IMO.

Comment

• LOU
                Museum FIN-atic
                • Nov 20, 2003

Originally posted by cjefferys
                I'll have to take a look at the Accessory Check to see how/if it's confusing matters, but as I've always understood it, the rectangular cut will either be at the top or the bottom, depending on which way the two parts were assembled in the factory. So yours just sounds like one of the normal two ways it could be assembled Lou, IMO.
                Thank you kind sir! Actually the confusing pic is the one I posted in first post above. Perhaps it's me just looking at it wrong but it appears as if that photo suggests (based on the way the hammer pics are arranged) that there is a hammer with just a handle and the knob on top and another hammer with the rectangular cut outs. In other words, you'd have to read those pics diagnonally. Aside from the pic, I do have clarification that the hammers were just assembled randomly at Mego so some have the knob and the rectangular thing on top, some on the bottom.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Ok, now I see what you are saying about that photo layout that makes things confusing. But basically, the top left is the same hammer as the bottom right and the top right goes with the bottom left.

Comment

• LOU
                    Museum FIN-atic
                    • Nov 20, 2003

Exactly! Thanks for clarifying! I'm sure out of 5000 people who look at that pic...there's only one whom it confuses...that would be me LOL! Thanks cjeffreys!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cjefferys
                      Yes, exactly. Mine is assembled like yours, Lou, but an alternate assembly is possible.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• LOU
                        Museum FIN-atic
                        • Nov 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                        Yes, exactly. Mine is assembled like yours, Lou, but an alternate assembly is possible.
                        Thanks PNG! I was worried when the hammer arrived because at first it didn't appear to match the MM photos. Then when ctc said his repro looks like mine...I really got worried. I still want to make sure this isn't a repro but I don't think so. I don't see any air bubbles on it which they say to look for, and the handle is not a real hard resin...it's somewhat flexible. Hard to tell about the head of the hammer because I can't squeeze it to see if it's soft but it too doesn't feel like a hard resin...which I assume is the same as some of the custom heads I've gotten, where they are so hard you could knock someone's teeth out with them LOL! Does mine (the photo with the red background) look legit? I'd like to leave the guy feedback tonight as he packed it super great and shipped fast so if it is real, he's getting an A+ feeddback from me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Your photo looks legit to me--my hammer has a bit of flex to it as well & is from a boxed Thor.

Comment

• LOU
                            Museum FIN-atic
                            • Nov 20, 2003

Wonderful! Thanks PNGwynne! Much appreciated sir! I will leave him some feedback now!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

Ben's book explains it better,I think. Pictures aren't quite as confusing either.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎