X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego MkIV
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 9, 2013

I'm glad to see these sets are made,The DC sets look very promising but I'm going with a wait and see mentality with any more Captain Action releases.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by levyguy
      I do not know why they produced the exclusive Khem panther- just to get more money I suppose.
      But they have not answered me about the return of AB, and Robin said they stated clearly there are no plans for them to produce Action Boy.
      I hope I'm not the only one disappointed.
      I hope someday another company will bring back Action Boy and do the CA line as Ideal did.
      I think the answer is likely found in their finances at the moment. With the surplus of CA figures, not to mention the utter flop of selling the Dr. Evil figure, it's probably not a sound move to try and manufacture another figure when it took them a year to finance two costume sets. In short, they don't have the money to make a Action Boy figure. They're in survival mode. And with the sell out of the Iron man and Wolverine costumes sets at NYCC, we don't know if that was a significant event since we don't know how many they brought with them. I spent two years unsuccessfully trying to get them to sell product at Wonderfest, so who knows if they brought a meaningful volume to begin with? They're busy saying their sorry on their Facebook page to people who showed up to get them. And the Dr. Evil exclusive appears to have been a complete miss. But should anyone be surprised? Selling it at four times it's street value was a insane publicity stunt just to get a different box. They certainly know how to tick people off.
      Last edited by MIB41; Oct 14, '13, 7:27 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
        I think the answer is likely found in their finances at the moment. With the surplus of CA figures, not to mention the utter flop of selling the Dr. Evil figure, it's probably not a sound move to try and manufacture another figure when it took them a year to finance two costume sets. In short, they don't have the money to make a Action Boy figure. They're in survival mode. And with the sell out of the Iron man and Wolverine costumes sets at NYCC, we don't know if that was a significant event since we don't know how many they brought with them. I spent two years unsuccessfully trying to get them to sell product at Wonderfest, so who knows if they brought a meaningful volume to begin with? They're busy saying their sorry on their Facebook page to people who showed up to get them. And the Dr. Evil exclusive appears to have been a complete miss. But should anyone be surprised? Selling it at four times it's street value was a insane publicity stunt just to get a different box. They certainly know how to tick people off.
        I really hope they've got more Iron Man and Wolverine sets coming. So far there's only one set for sale on Ebay and the guy wants $150. Weren't they $20 each? Gotta love scalpers.
        Have to agree, that Dr. Evil pricing was a bone-headed stunt. I don't know what their financial situation is, but it's pretty obvious they didn't take the profits from the first sets and roll them over into producing more new sets. Instead they blew it on developing a bunch of hair-brained ideas including that animated series which we all know is NEVER gonna happen, and all that superfluous junk they hock on their website. If they really wanted to build a following, they should have focused SOLELY on producing as many great costume sets as possible. The rest would have taken care of itself.

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

So far, Round 2 has not produced any mask that follows the vintage half-half format (Playing Mantis didn't either).
          Didn't the Playing Mantis Phantom costume have a 2 piece mask? I never got that set, but it would surprise me if that had a 1 piece mask.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
            I don't know what their financial situation is, but it's pretty obvious they didn't take the profits from the first sets and roll them over into producing more new sets. Instead they blew it on developing a bunch of hair-brained ideas including that animated series which we all know is NEVER gonna happen, and all that superfluous junk they hock on their website. If they really wanted to build a following, they should have focused SOLELY on producing as many great costume sets as possible. The rest would have taken care of itself.
            I absolutely agree. Now from the license holders position, it's been all gravy. They just signed whoever wanted to take their license and do whatever with it. The problem is their chief profit maker will always be the costumes. And if your not feeding that line, then nothing else works. Alot of people forget that Captain Action, as a license, has never been very successful. It has it's standing amongst us kids from that generation, but so do allot of things that never broke big. Ultimately I think Captain Action has a greater deficit as a generational toy than Megos, because it's chief appeal is dressing a action figure. That's the gimmick. And for all the reworking the license holders have tried to give his image, ultimately his name is too generic to make brand worthy. "Captain Action" is simply a host body for license heroes... PERIOD. Yes, all of this would have been fun to see... forty years ago. But this won't work in today's market.

Captain Action is 100% a collectors product. T-shirts, buttons, comics, coffee mugs, and cartoons are wasted investments because he's not nostalgic like Six Million Dollar Man or BSG because he was never big. No one grew up watching him on television where these novelty items once existed. And the cartoons and comics are especially pointless because they can't depict him as these other licensed heroes. So they make all of these products that never depict or promote what the action figure actually was (or is). So when you try to be all things to all people, you end up being nothing to nobody. Captain Action should be about the costumes and promoting licenses for that figure. They should quit chasing this misguided belief the Captain will ever break big and focus resources and revenue on the market who want him. Translation: They need to adopt business models like BBP that set up pre-orders and manufacture according to demand, or do like Mattel for specialty licenses and finance the product through subscriptions. This old formula of trying to break him big like it's the late 60's again is dated. Know your market and cater to it.
            Last edited by MIB41; Oct 14, '13, 8:53 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by warlock664
              Didn't the Playing Mantis Phantom costume have a 2 piece mask? I never got that set, but it would surprise me if that had a 1 piece mask.
              Nope. That was molded as one piece. I know it well. I have three of them and one overlooking me daily in my office.

Last edited by MIB41; Oct 14, '13, 8:36 PM.

Comment

• Mego MkIV
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 9, 2013

MIB41 is right I have the Playing Mantis Tonto set the mask is one piece.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Gotta admit, I'm not excited about the Iron Man costume, which bums me out. Will have to see it in person before making my final decision, but so far I'm not liking what I see.
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• levyguy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 4, 2009

They have put money into producing a Lady Action figure which is due out in Feb. 2014. They could have put that money towards producing Action Boy.
                    I agree, they know how to tick people off but it seems they don't care what us Captain Action collectors think or want.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by levyguy
                      They have put money into producing a Lady Action figure which is due out in Feb. 2014. They could have put that money towards producing Action Boy.
                      I agree, they know how to tick people off but it seems they don't care what us Captain Action collectors think or want.
                      Yeah, I heard about that. But my understanding is Tonner is making the figure. They just agreed to partner with CA for this character. It's also not in the same scale as the Captain (she's taller), so it won't even be compatible if people were wanting to add her to his line. Add that to the list if head shaking decisions. They just seem to be throwing their license around without any meaningful direction.
                      Last edited by MIB41; Oct 15, '13, 5:46 AM.

Comment

• levyguy
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 4, 2009

If the Superman and Batman sets get made and tru sells them, it should give the line a big boost.
                        We have not heard anything about if Walmart will be carrying CA.

I think they are just doing anything they can to get money. They should put their focus on getting the new uniform sets produced and out there.
                        I am very disappointed about their decision not to produce Action Boy. I really wanted new sets of Superboy, Robin, Aqualad as well as Kid Flash, Bucky, Speedy, Jace (from Space Ghost!),
                        Speed Racer, etc.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Voting for the Walmart deal ended about two weeks ago. I would think if CA were a contender, we would have heard something by now. I'm willing to bet they won't say another thing about it unless pushed to address it. That's the way they do things. Personally I wish they would have gone straight to Action Boy after Captain Action, instead of pushing Dr. Evil. His look has always been very dated, and I never thought that would translate well into sells. With Action Boy they could have covered alot of A-list heroes from the vintage line, plus cover the Speed Racer sets Playing Mantis never got to.

Comment

• levyguy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 4, 2009

^^^ Voting for the Walmart deal ended about two weeks ago. I would think if CA were a contender, we would have heard something by now. I'm willing to bet they won't say another thing about it unless pushed to address it. That's the way they do things. Personally I wish they would have gone straight to Action Boy after Captain Action, instead of pushing Dr. Evil. His look has always been very dated, and I never thought that would translate well into sells. With Action Boy they could have covered alot of A-list heroes from the vintage line, plus cover the Speed Racer sets Playing Mantis never got to.
                            I agree 100%! But they do not have plans to bring back Action Boy. I was never that interested in Dr. Evil and have no interest in Lady Action. I do not thiink LA will be a big seller. I think most CA collectors would want AB too, at least those of us who had CA as a child.
                            I voted for Walmart to carry CA every day but I kind of knew it would not actually happen.

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

I think we'll be lucky if we even see Batman.....won't get my hopes up for a DR.Doom

Comment

• Chippupperty
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 5, 2004

A Dr Doom

100_0943.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎