• levyguy
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 4, 2009

Hope those DC sets come out soon!

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Those are packaging props and they were originally revealed last February in deluxe packaging that Iron Man and Wolverine never got produced in. If you're going to post photos of this stuff, at least put context to them...PLEASE.
      Last edited by MIB41; Oct 6, '13, 7:02 PM.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
        If you're going to post photos of this stuff, at least put context to them...PLEASE.
        You bet! I'd hate to post unapproved pictures here.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by drquest
          You bet! I'd hate to post unapproved pictures here.
          So sorry to ask for some integrity. A lofty request for CA Enterprises.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

Yes you just can't trust those guys...
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Yes you just can't trust those guys...
              That pesky year-long trend in 'faulty' marketing and attacking your start up supporters is a beach isn't it?

Comment

• Robin NY
                Museum Super Collector
                • Nov 13, 2008

is the pointy shell head and stark face going to be released?

Comment

• bleit1701
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 1, 2009

Brainiac and Joker mock ups weren't shown were they? So they would be something new to look at.
                  Better late than never.....

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by bleit1701
                    Brainiac and Joker mock ups weren't shown were they? So they would be something new to look at.
                    The DC license was announced back in October of last year. They started showing DC packaging mock ups soon after which included previews of the Joker, Brainiac, and even Green Lantern as character options (advertised for a Summer 2013 release). My point to Quest was to simply offer context to photos, so people understand what they're looking at. Anyone unfamiliar with the line could have easily have taken that image as factory-ready product coming out of a shipping box. But it's just recycled marketing props getting a new photo shoot. Why does that even matter? Because EVERY SINGLE mock up they advertised from last year was never manufactured. That's fairly breath taking when you consider the smoke they blew over the product and the mile long list of missed release dates. And to answer Robin NY's inquiry about those Iron Man mock ups with Tony Stark and the pointed face mask? No Robin. They're not getting made. So given the track record they currently possess ( and proudly so, apparently), expectations should be tempered since their distribution pool is down considerably and their marketing philosophy remains as misleading as ever. A sad come down from a line I use to love tremendously.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by bleit1701
                      No they haven't been shown. And aside from cardboard mock ups, I haven't seen any DC costume sets.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

They look great can't wait to get my hands on them.....

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

When the Captain Action sets hit Toys R Us, the sales were quite good. Good enough that TRU asked for more stock of the initial run. When that 2nd order arrived, the Classic Covers hit as well, and the Arctic Captain Action version. The quantity of C/A stock in stores ended up being quite high, even with the initial sales and lower price sales, TRU opted out of the 3rd wave.

Honestly, without TRU's involvement, the direct to Comic shop Deluxe sets probably wouldn't have been produced at all. TRU's purchasing power created the line and them not opting for the 3rd wave has caused the delays with Iron Man and Wolverine and anything else that gets produced down the line.

I think honestly we are lucky that Iron Man and Wolverine made production, and those are going to be produced in much smaller quantities than the previous sets. How well those sell will probably determine if the DC sets make production.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Oh and here's a picture of the new Wolverine.

Iron Man and Wolverine will be for sale at the NYCC this weekend according to Ed at CAE.

Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

When the Captain Action sets hit Toys R Us, the sales were quite good. Good enough that TRU asked for more stock of the initial run. When that 2nd order arrived, the Classic Covers hit as well, and the Arctic Captain Action version. The quantity of C/A stock in stores ended up being quite high, even with the initial sales and lower price sales, TRU opted out of the 3rd wave.

Honestly, without TRU's involvement, the direct to Comic shop Deluxe sets probably wouldn't have been produced at all. TRU's purchasing power created the line and them not opting for the 3rd wave has caused the delays with Iron Man and Wolverine and anything else that gets produced down the line.

While everyone was disappointed by this news, its not surprising given the overstock STILL sitting in stores. What is NOT understandable is why the license holders took it upon themselves to publicly blame TRU for essentially protecting their own books. You said it yourself. TRU purchasing power allowed Round 2 to make these Deluxe sets. Translation: TRU provided the funds to make this happen. So Round 2 got paid. The license holders (Ed and Joe) got paid their fee and their cut of the deal from Round 2. Who didn't get paid? TRU. So why are they getting blamed when the company is still functioning off the profit made by that association? TRU is bleeding from this deal because they bought more product than there was demand. They believed in this product. They took an unusually high risk with an unproven product and got burned. And this is how they're rewarded? And Ed's unwarranted jab at Castaway didn't shore up any good will from that past partnership either.

I think honestly we are lucky that Iron Man and Wolverine made production, and those are going to be produced in much smaller quantities than the previous sets. How well those sell will probably determine if the DC sets make production.
                              Finally a statement that rings true. Which further underscores my comments to you about that photo released. This company needs to quit advertising product that doesn't exist! If sales of Iron Man and Wolverine costumes are SO important to make DC costumes a reality, then where are all the photos with the Captain dressed in the new factory outfits? There is not ONE of Iron man which is the biggest grossing film this year. And the one of Wolverine just shown today is overly doctored. So if the company isn't promoting the product, who will? And if you keep hocking concept pieces like they're already on the production line, the consumer is not going to have any urgency about what you have out in limited quantities right now. So if you wave the Captain flag that proudly, why don't you ask Ed to give you plenty of shots of Iron Man and Wolverine so people can see them on the figures?

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

TRU is bleeding from this deal because they bought more product than there was demand. They believed in this product. They took an unusually high risk with an unproven product and got burned.
                                Exactly correct.... They ordered more, and have too much on the shelves. Items sitting on the shelves only continues to cost them money. TRU isn't in the best shape financially anyhow, and everyone I go into is buried under stuff not selling, Iron Man 3, Power Rangers etc....

Regarding Castaway, I saw the comments, but took those as mostly centered around the fact their license only applies to 1/6 figures, so going down the 8" scale again wouldn't work and they are focusing on 12". Also I know a number of C/A collectors that purchased the Castaway sets and never got them because of the issue there, and Ed and Joe caught a lot of flack over that as well.

Finally a statement that rings true. Which further underscores my comments to you about that photo released. This company needs to quit advertising product that doesn't exist! If sales of Iron Man and Wolverine costumes are SO important to make DC costumes a reality, then where are all the photos with the Captain dressed in the new factory outfits? There is not ONE of Iron man which is the biggest grossing film this year. And the one of Wolverine just shown today is overly doctored. So if the company isn't promoting the product, who will? And if you keep hocking concept pieces like they're already on the production line, the consumer is not going to have any urgency about what you have out in limited quantities right now. So if you wave the Captain flag that proudly, why don't you ask Ed to give you plenty of shots of Iron Man and Wolverine so people can see them on the figures?
                                The collectors bug the crap out of Joe and Ed about what's happening and what's going on, so maybe they are sharing too much. Personally I like the transparency of the design process, but it does potentially set us up for being let down. A good example is the Rocketeer, they talked about it, and people were excited, but they couldn't secure the license. The Tony Stark masks for Iron Man, another example, but that was killed off because of the lower price point they have to be operating under. The DC license was announced practically the day they got it I think, and everyone was thrilled, but again, funding for that line was based on sales, which have dropped at TRU, which set everything up for what we are seeing today.

If they could switch into a direct sales type of deal, or a subscription deal, get 4 figures a year or something like that it might help.

I just posted the only Wolverine picture I've seen on a figure, and it's not the one I would have preferred to see, too close. Iron Man I haven't seen aside from the one in the box. We've all asked to see more pictures, no idea why we haven't seen them yet. Considering they will be selling them this weekend, we should see some pictures soon.

I don't have anything to do with CAE, or Round 2 personally, but have talked with Joe and Ed both. I also started the Captain Action email list back in 1998 or so and a lot of collectors are on there. The C/A line died in the late 1960's, and again with Playing Mantis and I'd prefer to not see it go away again as I think it's a pretty cool line.
                                Last edited by drquest; Oct 8, '13, 12:34 PM.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡