X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filmation batman fan
    The Man of Many Voices
    • Aug 30, 2005

Super friends dvd collection: The complete discography

I'm posting this for the benefit of new member Megotoys. Unfortunately, I am unable to post pictures from my digital camera on this site, though I have tried. Some sort of compatibility issue. Anyway, here is the complete discography for the entire Super Friends series.

SUPER FRIENDS: The Original Series 1973: Hour long series with Wendy, Marvin, and Wonder Dog. 16 Hour long episodes with slow moving plots. Very tame, kid friendly. No real villains, just misguided scientists and aliens. Has first guest appearance of the Flash and one shot appearances of
    Green Arrow and Plastic Man. Available on 2 DVD boxsets. Season One Volume One contains the first 8 episodes on 2 discs and a trivia challenge game. Season One Volume Two contains the remaining 8 episodes and another trivia challenge game. Both Volumes have the artwork of
    Super Powers artist Jose Garcia Lopez. Volume One is yellow in color. Volume Two is purple in color and has Flash and Green Arrow on the front cover with the original five.

THE ALL NEW SUPER FRIENDS HOUR: Season Two made in 1977. This series has the Wonder Twins and Gleek making their debut. There were 15 hour long segments of this series making a total of 60 episodes. 4 episodes per segment. 3 shorts and 1 half hour episode. Also included were health and safety tips, craft segments, and magic tricks and secret decoders. The last short in each segment featured guest heroes. This season is not in its correct chronological order, but the correct order is revealed with the next week's episode trailers. For some odd reason, the DVD sets are called Season One Volumes One and Two, even though this series is really season two. Season One has Seven hour segments on 2 discs along with extra features: One Dimensional Goodness: The Super Friends and the Good Old Days. And The Origin of the Guest Stars. Volume Two contains a the other Eight hour segments and a feature called the Wonder Twins Phenomenon. Volume One has red coloring with yellow flashes. Superman is shown in large profile. and we see smaller poses of Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman and headshots of Zan, Jayna, and Gleek. Volume Two is dark blue or purple in color, has a full profile of Batman, has action poses of Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash. And headshots of Aquaman, the Wonder Twins, and Green Lantern.

SUPER FRIENDS: 1978. This is the 16 half hour episode series that is part of season three. It is the companion series to Challenge of the
    Super Friends and it actually aired first in the hour. For the Wonder Twins, this was season two for them. The DVD boxset is called
    "SUPER FRIENDS: VOLUME TWO" since it was released after the Challenge of the Super Friends series. This is the season with Count Dracula, The Phantom Zone villains, Superman aging by Red Kryptonite, the first appearances of the Supermobile and Mr. Mxyzptlk. The boxset is a blue box art with the original five Super Friends on the cover. It contains all 16 episodes on 2 discs along with two features. Pajama Rama, a Super Friends Retrospective and a goofy music video called the Ballad of Zan and Jayna by a singer trying to imitate Adam Sandler. In theory, since this series uses the same intro as the All New Super Friends Hour, and it was released before the 1977 series, is probably why the 1977 series DVDs are called season one when they are really season two.

CHALLENGE OF THE SUPER FRIENDS: 1978. The 16 half hour episode series that was the headlining Super Friends series of season three. It is the most popular and the very first series released on DVD back in 2004. The boxset is red with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on the front cover and this series has the most special features. It contains all 16 episodes uncut and the features consist of Saturday Mornings, Sleeping Bags, and Super Friends, 2 episode commentaries, and music videos of each Super Hero in a set called the Hall of Justice and music videos of each Super Villain in the Legion of Doom in a set called the Hall of Doom.

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS: 1979. By far, the shortest season of the Super Friends ever animated. There are only 8 half hour episodes. In its original run, there were plenty of episodes from 1977 to serve as fillers. This series is the easiest to access. This is the season with Lex Luthor and Mr. Mxyzptlk returning. The stories were inspired from American Literature tales. We see the Kandorians, the hobbits of Middle Earth, Frankenstein, and Land of Oz, and the big fan favorite, the evil counterparts of the Super Friends. This season was released as a Target Eexclusive earlier this year and will be the last season released on retail in November. It is single DVD that has all 8 episodes and no special features. It features tan box art and the artwork of Jose Garcia Lopez. The DVD set is titled THE WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER FRIENDS: AND JUSTICE FOR ALL. It has all five originals on the cover with Batman in the center.

SUPER FRIENDS HOUR: 1980 The first season of the shorts. Recently released on DVD at the end of July. There are 24 episodes. 8 segments consisting of three episodes per segment. This season has the return of Bizarro, the Riddler, and Mr. Mxyzpltk. There are also originals like the Voodoo Vampire, the Crude Oil Monster, Yuna the Terrible, and that's to name a few. This was released on a single disc DVD and is called
    SUPER FRIENDS SEASON 5: A DANGEROUS FATE. It contains all 24 episodes uncut and no special features. The DVD set is grey with Jose Garcia Lopez artwork featuring Superman, Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman on the front.

SUPER FRIENDS: 1981. This is the second season of the shorts. It only has 18 episodes. 6 segments consisting of 3 episodes per segment. This is the season that introduces El Dorado as the newest hero. He only shows up in Alien Mummy and Palette's Perils. This season has the Outlaws of Orion, Lava Men, the General Zod look alike named Zycree, and the return of Bizarro and Mr. Mxyzptlk. This DVD set will be released in early October and is called SUPER FRIENDS SEASON SIX: LEGACY OF SUPER POWERS. It will contain all 18 episodes and no special features. The artwork is tan with the five originals on the front cover illustrated by Jose Garcia Lopez.

SUPER FRIENDS: THE LOST EPISODES: 1983. This was the season that did not air on Saturday Mornings in the U.S. and they didn't reach the airwaves until the 1990's as part of the edited Superman/Batman Adventures. There are 24 episodes. 8 segments containing 3 episodes per segment. This season has the return of the Legion of Doom, and individual episodes with Grodd and Giganta, Brainiac, and Bizarro. Mr. Mxyxptlk returns. The Wonder Twins actually work with the other Justice Leaguers and there are two Superman/Batman team up episodes. The DVD set was 5th in line released on DVD on a 2 disc set containing all 24 episodes uncut and the only special feature was a Super Friends comic book you could view on the DVD. The artwork is in dark blue and has Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Wonder Twins, and Green Lantern on the front cover.

SUPER FRIENDS: THE LEGENDARY SUPER POWERS SHOW: 1984. This season has 16 episodes. 8 segments and 2 episodes per segment and they're about 15 minutes each. The last two seasons got involved with the Kenner Super Powers Toyline and comic book mini series published by DC. This season introduced Firestorm as well as Darkseid, Kalibak, Desaad, the new Brainiac, one episode with Lex Luthor in his power suit. Luthor shows up quite a few times. Wonder Woman's look and voice have changed. And Adam West voices over Batman. This series was the third in line released on DVD in 2007. It has 2 extra features on the Super Friends. One about the villains, Firestorm and about the 4 ethnic Super Friends. The other feature is on the Super Powers Toyline by Kenner and several episode commentaries. The front cover of the boxset has Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on it.

SUPER POWERS TEAM: GALACTIC GUARDIANS: 1985. The final series. It contains 10 episodes. 4 15 minute episodes and the other 6 are half hour episodes. The character designs and the title of the series has changed to be more compatible with the Super Powers Toyline and Comic Book Mini Serties. The series introduces Cyborg and features episodes like the Fear (The origin of Batman) and the Death of Superman. This series was released on DVD fourth in line not long after the release of the previous season. The extra feature on this set is called Super Friends Redux and discusses this series as the graduation series. The front cover has character designs that look more like the Super Friends as opposed to the Super Powers Team. There are headshots of Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, and the Flash. And small action poses of Batman, Cyborg, Hawkman, and Aquaman.

There are a total of nine seasons (or 10 seasons if you count the Challenge of the Super Friends and Super Friends 1978 separately).
    Hanna Barbera produced a complete total of 206 episodes.

Anyway, hope this helps.
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Thank you
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Glad to see it's all out. And I personally appreciate the guide, because even though I grew up with the program when it originally aired, I NEVER had the slightest clue there were so many variations of it. That just blew my mind.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Yes, thanks for compiling this. There are a few seasons there I tend to lump together in my mind, especially after World's Greatest and before Super Powers.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

My recollection of the series is mixed up because of watching it so much in syndication on TBS in the early eighties to mid eighties. Good work.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
            The Man of Many Voices
            • Aug 30, 2005

Many thanks. I am always glad to help out any questions that fans of the Super Friends might have. As a matter of fact, one of the chapters I'm going to be working on in my ebook report for kindle, THE ULTIMATE SUPER FRIENDS COMPANION is a chapter on the syndication years. It's interesting to note that from 1981-1985, that several Super Friends seasons that ran under the Lexington Broadcast Services excluded a few episodes from certain series.
            The Origin of Superman story was excluded from the Planet Splitter episode of the original series to make it a half hour story and the Watermen was excluded as well. The All New Super Friends Hour was missing Forbidden Power, Pressure Point, the Lion Men, and Day of the Rats and the 1978 season with the Wonder Twins was missing the Incredible Space Circus, making it a super rare episode. Challenge, World's Greatest, and the 1980 and 1981 seasons were all intact. Anyway, this is just a sample of what I'm working on for this ebook. I am determined to keep the memory of the Super Friends alive and I am currently enjoying this endeavor. So if you have any questions about the Super Friends, feel free to ask me. While I may not know every single thing, I do know more than most. Super Friends is my passion. And I'm always glad to help. You can either ask me here on the forum or PM me.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

The missing Superman origin explains how flummoxed I was when I first saw it. My first real exposure to Season 1 was in syndication, and several years later (maybe on Cartoon Network or Boomerang) I finally saw the origin sequence in that episode.

I remember the "We'll return to the Super Friends, after these messages" bumpers used in syndication. I know for sure one showed a bird's eye view of the main 5 and the Wonder Twins looking up on a yellow background (pulled from an episode where they are watching the Trouble Alert monitor). I seem to recall one that showed the Challenge opening scene where the SF (including GL, Flash and Hawkman) are flying/running away from the Hall of Justice (swiped from that JLA Tabloid comic with modifications).

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• megotoys
                • Mar 28, 2011

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! and DOUBLE WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to the opening poster for drafting such a GREAT post that includes a LOT of TERRIFIC information.

It was SUPER NICE of you to do this.

Of course I am VERY appreciative of the time and effort you put into this.

Thank You Again!

Comment

• megotoys
                  • Mar 28, 2011

Again, I just want to say THANK YOU! to the opening poster.

This is such a tremendous overview that is full of AMAZING information!

The Super Friends are one of my very favorite vintage cartoons, and getting this kind of information is just terrific!

I would very much like to see a Super Friends book on Amazon (and elsewhere). It seems like it is a book that is long overdue.

As a side note, when I see all the information the opening poster provided and the number of seasons out there, it would be great to have a dvd / book box set available with everything in one place with uniform cover art for the box set and dvd sets included therein. If they can do it for a series as recent as the Justice League cartoon series (a cartoon I also like tremendously), then certainly a similar box set given great care in its presentation is also long overdue.

Thank You again for a GREAT thread!

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                    The Man of Many Voices
                    • Aug 30, 2005

Originally posted by megotoys
                    Again, I just want to say THANK YOU! to the opening poster.

This is such a tremendous overview that is full of AMAZING information!

The Super Friends are one of my very favorite vintage cartoons, and getting this kind of information is just terrific!

I would very much like to see a Super Friends book on Amazon (and elsewhere). It seems like it is a book that is long overdue.

As a side note, when I see all the information the opening poster provided and the number of seasons out there, it would be great to have a dvd / book box set available with everything in one place with uniform cover art for the box set and dvd sets included therein. If they can do it for a series as recent as the Justice League cartoon series (a cartoon I also like tremendously), then certainly a similar box set given great care in its presentation is also long overdue.

Thank You again for a GREAT thread!
                    Hello Mego Toys. I am the opening poster. My name is Will, but my handle here is Filmation Batman Fan because what got me into the
                    Super Friends let alone comic books and super heroes was the New Adventures of Batman cartoon from 1977. That led to everything else. Anyways, I'm glad this information was helpful to you. I too wish that Warner Home Video might someday consider a complete set of all
                    Super Friends series with a guidebook in a Hall of Justice shaped box container. That's what I'd do anyway. But yes, I am currently working on an ebook for amazon.com. I've already done this with Superman: The Animated Series and the Justice League Unlimited. They're on amazon. I decided I want to do one on the Super Friends and it will be big, considering I'm not only going to cover the animated series, but also the 47 issue comic book series by DC. I will also do chapters on any toylines that came close and I also want to cover things like comic and cartoon comparisons, voice actors, and more. And I will let everyone know when it's out and published. Currently, I am watching the 1978 episodes with the Wonder Twins and should be working on Challenge of the Super Friends next week.

Again, I'm glad I could help you out with this info.

Comment

• megotoys
                      • Mar 28, 2011

Hello Will,

Thank you for the preview of what will be one awesome coming attraction (your ebook)!

Also, thank you again for your great posts.

I think your idea of a dvd box set (with series correct art and uniform design) and book (how about one authored by you all beautifully housed in a Hall of Justice is a terrific idea!

For a cartoon that has inspired 40 YEARS (don't faint folks, but yes it has been that long) of kids, adults, cartoons, toys, posters, buttons, etc. etc. there is remarkable little material (that I am aware of) dedicated to the Super Friends, but like another hero, here you are to "Save the Day!"

Suffice it to say that the haphazard Super Friend dvd releases in the way of chronology, design, presentation, etc. etc. has been less than impressive (to say the least!). I know I have beaten this dead horse before, but hey it still blows me away how little respect the series gets, with more haphazard dvds released with little "direction" this very year. It would seem to me that it would be in the best financial / economic interest of those "in power" to release the Super Friends seasons within a more "coherent" and "understandable" framework, and that way you would reel in the "completists", double and triple dip (into the masses hard earned cash), etc.

Once the initial "coherent / uniformly designed" sets were available, they could then go the much familiar route of "double and triple dipping" into our pockets by re-releasing the individual seasons with, here it comes, "REMASTERED" sights and sounds, then AGAIN with "UPGRADED AND REMASTERED" sights and sounds, then YET AGAIN when they release the seasons with "bonuses", and finally they release the "COMPLETE" Super Friends "NUMBERED" box set, with "REMASTERED AND UPGRADED" seasons "WITH BONUSES", in a (yes, you guessed it) LIMITED EDITION Hall of Justice case with FULL COLOR book (authored by Mego Museums very own Will)!

Hey, they could even tempt the HARDCORE Completists and action figure hoarders by offering the meagerly priced $249.99999999 Super Friends Box Set YET AGAIN with EXCLUSIVE action figures of the Super Friends for the UNBELIEVABLY LOOOOOOOOWWWWW price of $349.9999999999999999999! Buy one to open and one to save (kind of like we do nowadays with the mint on card Mego Wonder Woman and Iron Man figures).

But alas, we are given what we are given, and we lap up the crumbs that are thrown to us, and are happy to have them (better than not being released at all that's for sure).

That you are undertaking a book that ties in the cartoon with other cultural phenomena (toys, comics, etc.) that tied into the Super Friend Series makes you my first pick for a
                      Noble Prize for the Arts (if there is such a thing)

It would be great to see your book published in mind blowing full color "omnibus" style, replete with an episode guide, series artwork, model sheets, cels, toys, memorabilia, the complete comic covers, and of course lots of great knowledge and information from yourself, but evidently things are going "electronic" now.

Anyhow thank you for taking on such a tremendous project that many, many people will get to enjoy.

I wish you all the best in this, and your other ventures.
                      Last edited by megotoys; Oct 1, '13, 1:33 AM.

Comment

• Jason73
                        Correctamundo!
                        • Jan 11, 2009

I'm so glad this is all finally released. I now have every disc and plan on running two weekend marathons to watch it all in order. Easily my favorite cartoon series from when I was a kid.
                        Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          Still Old School
                          • Feb 14, 2008

Just sat and watched the entire dvd with the kids today. Awesome.
                          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• VintageMike
                            Permanent Member
                            • Dec 16, 2004

Will be starting the most recent release tomorrow morning. Tough to decide if I should watch it in the original blocks or break it up into one short per Saturday Morning.

Comment

• filmation batman fan
                              The Man of Many Voices
                              • Aug 30, 2005

Originally posted by VintageMike
                              Will be starting the most recent release tomorrow morning. Tough to decide if I should watch it in the original blocks or break it up into one short per Saturday Morning.
                              Even though I have them all now on DVD and can watch them any time I want to, it seems to be more fun to watch the Super Friends on Saturday Mornings. As soon as I got my DVD, I had to take some pics of the Ultimate Super Friends DVD collection, and finally, after viewing it, the greatest joy was tossing away the old bootlegs and homemade recordings of the edited versions from Cartoon Network and Boomerang and place the DVD in its place of honor on the DVD shelf. I look forward to doing season marathons myself.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎