Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

Better Call Saul!

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by HardyGirl
      You guys are amazing. If they looked too close to the originals, you'd complain that it would be too easy to fool the original collectors w/ an imitation. (and I remember those same comments when Doc/EMCE came out w/ the POTA figures). Why can't you guys just appreciate the fact that FTC is bringing the wonderment, the memories, the retro grooviness that was once Mego to the masses of today? OK, so they're not EXACT...does that make them any less fun? These are the ones you can open and play w/ and give them to your kids. And if you have the originals anyway and don't plan on buying these, that's OK. But to say that they look like knockoffs is a bit harsh. I'm hoping the line does well so that they'll want to add more waves, and more superheroes. 'Cos if you guys are putting this down and won't buy them, we'll never see Superman, Aquaman or any villains.
      Well said! I'm already looking forward to series seven...Hawkman, Firestorm, Dr. Fate, and the Atom.
      Oh yeah, and the Marvel license...

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

I wasnt going to buy these, but they certainly look odd and wierd, and as someone described them" knockoff". I feel a headache for Brian coming on, as these are finally released and comments written, I feel for U

Comment

• Uni
          Museum Patron
          • Sep 7, 2008

You guys are amazing. If they looked too close to the originals, you'd complain that it would be too easy to fool the original collectors w/ an imitation. (and I remember those same comments when Doc/EMCE came out w/ the POTA figures). Why can't you guys just appreciate the fact that FTC is bringing the wonderment, the memories, the retro grooviness that was once Mego to the masses of today?
          The problem is that the pictures of the production samples don't look like what was promised. We were actually hoping for "wonderment, the memories, the retro grooviness that was once Mego"... and for several months we were promised this, in the form of "exact reproductions" of the original figures. Based on the production samples, these ain't that.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Uni
            Oh, this is low and totally uncalled for. Dismissing the Retro Action stuff here Doc's "attempt" is cruel. Everyone here knows or should know that the Mattel toys's faults weren't because of the Doc, and his bodies (and accessories) have consistently been the best quality of anything Mego-y since Mego.
            I liked the retro action, its a shame that between Mattel and Doc Mego it couldn't have been done right. But, for him to take a dig at the pricepoint on these seems a little cruel.
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
              I like 'em. Not sure what all the fuss is about. The colors on Batman are more consistent throughout than on the originals, where the heads, capes and boots/gloves were all different colors.
              These look quality, and definitely not like crappy knock offs. In fact, quite the opposite. To me they look exactly like what Mego would have made with better, more consistent materials.
              I think they actually look better than the prototypes.
              Agreed. I luv 'em. I'll even have Toyroom and Mego73 make up some cool retro packaging. Palitoy can have the clamshells. Everybody wins.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

You guys are amazing. If they looked too close to the originals, you'd complain that it would be too easy to fool the original collectors w/ an imitation. (and I remember those same comments when Doc/EMCE came out w/ the POTA figures). Why can't you guys just appreciate the fact that FTC is bringing the wonderment, the memories, the retro grooviness that was once Mego to the masses of today? OK, so they're not EXACT...does that make them any less fun? These are the ones you can open and play w/ and give them to your kids. And if you have the originals anyway and don't plan on buying these, that's OK. But to say that they look like knockoffs is a bit harsh. I'm hoping the line does well so that they'll want to add more waves, and more superheroes. 'Cos if you guys are putting this down and won't buy them, we'll never see Superman, Aquaman or any villains.
                What she said.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Can't wait to see what happens when the Teen Titans come out.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think calling something a knockoff is not nearly the crime it's being labeled to be here. It's an opinion. And like all opinions, they will vary. This hobby has a great history of knockoffs that are mostly loved - AHI, LJN, Remco to name just a few. So these will likely find their place, just like other efforts have. The license kind of sells itself. But we as hobbyists and collectors typically don't engage in this art form without some passion behind it. So knee jerk reactions should be considered the norm here. Some may warm to them later. Some may go the opposite direction. But sometimes we just have to agree to disagree and move on. Vote with your wallet.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I like the vibrant colors. It would be hard to find original figures for twentyfive bucks in this condition.

I do think Robins head looks a little weird though...unless its just the way its positioned.

edit: I wish they had used this opportunity to get robin titan sized.
                      Last edited by Figuremod73; Sep 25, '13, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                        Christmas presents!
                        yup - with so many waves out there for pre-order, and none shipping yet, this will become fodder for folks to supply me with holiday goodness...cuz lord knows I cannot afford to buy so many waves all at once.

Comment

• Spyweb007
                          Persistent Member
                          • Apr 18, 2006

I think they look good, I like the colors, even the darker blue. If Mego Corp itself rose from the grave and started making figures again they probably would be just as different from the originals as these are, and the differences are minimal at that.

Comment

• Jason73
                            Correctamundo!
                            • Jan 11, 2009

Originally posted by imp
                            A "new" market? Really. Visited eBay lately?

Anyway, it really doesn't matter what I think. I'm disappointed but I'll just move on. I wish FTC the best, but these aren't what I expected, and these aren't for me.

-b
                            All I meant was, I'm glad these won't be easy to pass off as original Mego.
                            Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                              To Fear is Not Logical...
                              • Feb 17, 2008

I am on the side of the fence that is glad they are coming out. My son wants a Riddler as right now he has a Mattel RA Batman and beater Mego Penguin, Joker, and Robin. Like others have said, though, I need to be selective on which ones I purchase as he has the others. I totally feel for those who were expecting an exact duplicate, but 40 years later I can understand why it is not. When I see ebay selling Riddler suits only for $20. $25 & shipping for a whole figure for my son doesn't seem that bad.
                              It's all good!

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

OK, so they're not EXACT...does that make them any less fun? These are the ones you can open and play w/ and give them to your kids.
                                Well said and the pictures on their site do say "prototype pictured" right on the image. When you've been collecting as long as we have you do generally have the idea by now that toys don't often exactly match their mock ups and protos.
                                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎