X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MEGOMAN
    Defender of the Megoverse
    • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by imp
    The colors are wrong. The textures and materials are wrong. The graphics are hideous.

Can you think of another industry where such broad, general interpretations of the original are acceptable as "reproduction" items? When I think of reproduction and/or replacement pieces in other arenas (e.g. classic cars, vintage jewelry, antique jukeboxes, T-shirts, movie posters, etc.), it seems that dead-on accuracy is the objective. Not some loose composite of every version of the product ever manufactured.

Imagine someone wanting a reproduction silver part for their antique watch, and coming across one made of tin that looks only mostly like the original sculpt. No sale.

These are being touted as "reproductions" of the original Mego WGSH -- right down to the minutiae of offering painted- versus removable-masks. Yet from what I've seen thus far, FTC toys are a far cry from the accuracy or detail such claims suggest.

What, specifically, was I expecting? Something like this:

-b
    I'm with you on this!!!

Comment

• sauce
      Removed
      • Jun 24, 2007

It's funny to me that one might pass on factory made MEGO vintage counterparts from Peru or Mexico but jump on these.
      Last edited by sauce; Sep 24, '13, 7:01 PM.

Comment

• Uni
        Museum Patron
        • Sep 7, 2008

Originally posted by imp
        I'm a bitted stunned.

First, this company needs a lot of help when it comes to photography, design and presentation.

[...]

Why go 95% of the way there? These kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like authentic, vintage Mego figures. Yet they also kinda sorta almost nearly vaguely look like cruddy knock-offs. It's baffling.

Finally, it seems clear to me that FTC used authentic Mego figures in all of their print and online advertising and promotion while soliciting pre-orders. That feels like the ol' bait-and-switch, and I hope it's not too late to cancel my pre-order with my local comic shop, because I am passing on all of these. Two enthusiastic thumbs down. What a shame.

-b
        I am also with you on this. After seeing the facebook post, I came here to voice my frustration and found that you had voiced my concern:

Why go through all the trouble to get these so close only to get it wrong? The reason I wanted these is because I love Megos and want affordable *reproductions,* you know, like they were advertised. The Batman colors are wrong. They might "look nice" as someone suggested, but they don't look Mego.

And while I'm laying it down, I need to call BS on this:

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        only 5 bucks more than your DC attempt, and maybe the bodies won't suck on these.
        Oh, this is low and totally uncalled for. Dismissing the Retro Action stuff here Doc's "attempt" is cruel. Everyone here knows or should know that the Mattel toys's faults weren't because of the Doc, and his bodies (and accessories) have consistently been the best quality of anything Mego-y since Mego.
        Last edited by Uni; Sep 24, '13, 7:30 PM.

Comment

• tllgn
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 6, 2010

i ordered a couple sets of these,i think their fantastic ,kinda takes me back to the 70s when i first got megos,
          and this may be our only chance to get retro mego style superheroes ,and once the retro mego movement ends,
          it could take 30 years or never to have this chance again,i am in for them all,just like emces offerings,because
          in 30 years we will be to old to care.so enjoy,enjoy!!.if you dont like them dont buy them.i dont like the
          clamshell idea,but i still want the toys.

Comment

• HapSlash
            Tribal Witchdoctor
            • Nov 18, 2009

I think it's still a little early to tell, as these are still some pretty poor photos. I ran them through my image editor and sharpened them up a bit, which helps. But personally, I'm still torn... With them tied down to the shells with twist ties, it doesn't let them sit in the natural positions a mego would take. They might look better once freed from the cards (Which also gets me thinking, that you won't be able to take these out without some wire cutters which run the risk of damaging the figures, or destroying the packages.)

Overall, I think Batman looks alright. I like that they made him all match, although I would have preferred they made him a lighter color that would match his original boots and gloves... It was a much closer to the color used in the comics at the time. His cape also looks cheaply put together, lacking the bunched up section in front, needed to hide the neck seam. But in the end, I think it's a passable figure.

Robin on the other hand is my favorite mego, and the thing that jumps out the most, is the head and colors. Too mint-green, not enough lime-green... which I also think would be closer to the comic depiction. Also his cape is quite a bit shorter than the originals, making it look more like one of those trim jobs you see now and then. Meanwhile the mask isn't painted wide enough, making his forehead larger. His eyes are more closed, giving him a squint, and even the shape of the head seems to be thin and downcast.... all of it together almost gives him an old look. But then again, this may just be a trick of the light, the poor resolution, and over compressed quality of the pics.

I wasn't really thinking about these for myself. I have a young nephew whom I think would have a blast with mego figures, just as I did when I was younger. But, it's hard to tell if he would really take a shine to them. But then... I'm not a kid anymore either :P

As it was said, they do seem to lack the charm of the originals, But I will say this, they are much closer to what I was hoping might come out of Mattel's outing with the ReMego phase. I still can't look at some of those without laughing to myself.
            Last edited by HapSlash; Sep 24, '13, 7:42 PM.
            ALL HAIL MING!

A slapped together sample of my work:
            HapSlash's Image Slideshow

Comment

• osker55
              Booyaaa
              • Aug 8, 2011

When do the figures series 1 come out? I like to get a set
              Wants....

AHI wolfman mint hairy Version
              AHI wolfman moc
              Lincoln Wolfman and Mummy
              Kresge moc WGSH
              Other stuff to update

Comment

• Boywonder0
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 29, 2007

Vintage Mego Batman and Robin fetch $250-$400 each in average if carded. The FTC Batman & Robin are $25 each and I can remove from their clamshell, play with them and put them back in their clamshells. I would have never been able to do that with my carded Mego Batman & Robin...

Thank you Figures Toys Company! I very much welcome these and other WGSH repros. Haters would always exist and justify themselves for not being able to buy them. I bet anything that none of them would refuse a FREE set if offered...

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by imp
                  Finally, it seems clear to me that FTC used authentic Mego figures in all of their print and online advertising and promotion while soliciting pre-orders. That feels like the ol' bait-and-switch...
                  -b
                  When it comes to advertising "reproduction" figures, this is not the first time FTC has used this method of advertising. When they first promoted the KISS figures, they clearly used the Mego dolls as models, but always suggested those were their own. This is just another example to bait the consumer. And while some here may take cheap shots at Dr. Mego and his run with the DC heroes, he ALWAYS depicted his product honestly by showing prototypes of what was coming. FTC likes to idealize and overstate expectations. And once again, character selection plays a role here too. These Batman and Robin figures look like custom stuff all of us have seen on Ebay for years. But at the end of the day, it's not the figure that was advertised. Everyone expected photos of the figures displayed when the announcement was initially made. The company didn't suggest it, they stated it as "exact reproductions". To date the only figures that have come close to that description are EMCE's Planet of the Apes and early Star Trek lines. And Doc were behind those.

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

I like 'em. Not sure what all the fuss is about. The colors on Batman are more consistent throughout than on the originals, where the heads, capes and boots/gloves were all different colors.

These look quality, and definitely not like crappy knock offs. In fact, quite the opposite. To me they look exactly like what Mego would have made with better, more consistent materials.

I think they actually look better than the prototypes.

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      I like 'em. Not sure what all the fuss is about.
                      It's difficult to sell nostalgia. It's very subjective.

Comment

• THE FALCON
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 2, 2011

I like them. Didn't expect them to match the originals perfectly. I'm just happy these are all being offered in the first place. The only thing I don't like is the fold on the front corner of the card exposing the DC logo but that's just me. Thanks FTC for making them and keep them figures coming.

Comment

• Wise4671
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11, 2007

I like them and am glade I pre-ordered. Sure they don't look exactly like the ones from when we were kids but I already own the ones from when I was. I for one am Happy they can be told apart from the Originals but still close enough that my kids and nephews will be able to play with them and see why I collect the Megos that I collect.

Thank FTC for making these and doing such a GREAT job doing so.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                            Mego obsessed!!!
                            • Jul 20, 2010

Their first mistake was in saying "These action figures are exact reproductions of the original ones that were produced by Mego."
                            They are not! Obviously, right from the get go, the prototypes were on Type 2 bodies! If they were exact, they would be on Type 1 bodies.

Having said that, I am tempted to buy an RC Batman, and a painted cowl Batman, because they are a little different, just for my Batman collection.
                            The price point is what is making me hold off.
                            Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                            My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• MEGOMAN
                              Defender of the Megoverse
                              • Dec 30, 2008

Originally posted by MIB41
                              It's difficult to sell nostalgia. It's very subjective.
                              One reason why I will not buy these. Why would I when I have the originals!!!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                                • Apr 3, 2007

You guys are amazing. If they looked too close to the originals, you'd complain that it would be too easy to fool the original collectors w/ an imitation. (and I remember those same comments when Doc/EMCE came out w/ the POTA figures). Why can't you guys just appreciate the fact that FTC is bringing the wonderment, the memories, the retro grooviness that was once Mego to the masses of today? OK, so they're not EXACT...does that make them any less fun? These are the ones you can open and play w/ and give them to your kids. And if you have the originals anyway and don't plan on buying these, that's OK. But to say that they look like knockoffs is a bit harsh. I'm hoping the line does well so that they'll want to add more waves, and more superheroes. 'Cos if you guys are putting this down and won't buy them, we'll never see Superman, Aquaman or any villains.
                                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎