X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain Awesome
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2012

Mego POTA Astronaut on a T2 body

How rare are the POTA T2 Astronauts? I've been keeping an eye out in the marketplace and on eBay for a while now and I see T1's all the time. Not so much on the T2's though. Kinda been thinkin that I may hafta get a T1 and transfer everything to a T2 body. Anyway, just curious...
    Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne
  • Captain Awesome
    Career Member
    • May 27, 2012

Anyone ???

Comment

• cjefferys
      Duke of Gloat
      • Apr 23, 2006

From the MM Gallery:

" He was released on a type1 body and for a very short time as on a type 2. His suit and belt were resized to fit the larger body."

I don't think these turn up very often from what I've seen. You might have a problem getting the T1 outfit to properly fit a T2 body though, his outfit doesn't really have much give to it, it's not very elastic at all. Mego had to resize the outfit to fit a T2 body.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

The T1 nylon suit actually fits perfectly well on a T2 body--I converted mine.

I thought that the T2 Astronaut was released in a brighter blue knit flight suit--maybe that was the Palitoy release?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2012

I've never seen a knit material flight suit. Only ones I've ever seen are the nylon material. That'd be freakin SUH-WEET to find one of those!

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            The T1 nylon suit actually fits perfectly well on a T2 body--I converted mine.

I thought that the T2 Astronaut was released in a brighter blue knit flight suit--maybe that was the Palitoy release?
            Didn't know that about the nylon suit, well there ya go. As far as the knit suit, per the gallery:

"The first austronaut (sic) released on the 1st issue cards have a suit made of a soft nylon which does not fade over time but remains a deep blue"

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

That soft, bright blue was what I was thinking of, I saw one on ebay--maybe Megozilla's? I don't recall the articulation, my mistake.

The gray cotton AJ pilot suit will also fit a t2 body, I kitbashed a second, custom POTA astronaut using this suit and added a Little John head.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Sep 20, '13, 6:04 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hobub
                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                • Jun 18, 2001

I have one. The type 2 has a very bright blue suit and the head is different on a type 2 as well. And you are correct. They do not come up very often.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

What are the differences on the head? I'm guessing that he probably has a bit of the "T2 tan", anything else?

Comment

• Captain Awesome
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2012

Shorter neck plug on the T2 as well? I'm curious bout the head differences as well.

Comment

• hobub
                      Ghost of a Dead Indian
                      • Jun 18, 2001

It definitely looks different as far as the vinyl T2 tan and very blue eyes. I'll try to photograph them side by side when I get home. I have a nude type 1 but the type 2 is crispy mint. I"m really not sure about the neck plug and I really don't want to remove it.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

Ah, more POTA variants mysteries!… the never ending discourse that drives my want of all of them!

From my experience, you're not going to get anywhere using the color of the suit as much of an identifier, except is it's likely true the brighter blue non-fade were early T1 releases. T2 were definitely released in nylon variants as well.

Any idea how it was qualified that the T2 suits were upscaled? Doesn't seem intentional to me given the sewing variants in a loose jumpsuit... meaning I don't think there was a need to create new patterns. Having looked a dozens of them, no two are identical anyway. Lots and lots variations in cut, pocket size and placement, collars and stitching.

The heads do seem to have some differences, in color and touch, but this could also be attributed to environmental or chemical expose, or lack thereof. One thing I have noticed is a run of heads where the plug is narrow with less of a neck ring, a mold identifier of some T1 me thinks.

If only we had a well researched, beautifully photographed and printed book. [Ben give us some ape love!]

Comment

• scifiguy94
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 18, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
                          Lots and lots variations in cut, pocket size and placement, collars and stitching.
                          So true, I have one that has the pocket sewn on the inside of the suit.

Comment

• megozilla13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 10, 2002

From what I've seen the very early type 1's and the late type 2 suits don't fade or change color. I'd describe the fabric on an early T1 as more of a satiny knit then a nylon. And I've only seen the figure on larger first issue cards. The type 2 suit is bigger than a type1 suit and the belt is noticably longer. Type two astronauts I'd say are just as scarce as silver soldier apes. During the many years I documented this variation I saw less than 5 carded examples.

mikej
                            WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

Thanks for your intel Mike… I'm gonna have to go back and compare my suits to see just how much bigger they are.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎