• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LOU
    Museum FIN-atic
    • Nov 20, 2003

JOKER SHOES-Original or CTVT REPROS?

Hey Guys!
    I recently snagged a loose Joker off E-bay and he arrived today. Upon inspecting him and reviewing the "Accessory Check" section here at the great MM, I suspect I have repro shoes on this Joker...but I just can't tell. Why CTVT didn't mark their repro stuff to begin with I'll never know, thus this confusion. So I am asking you Mego experts to chime in on this. Here's a detailed pic of the shoes that came with my Joker. Am I correct that they are likely CTVT repros? Thanks guys! I want to confirm before I contact the seller.

• RobTMego
    Career Member
    • Mar 15, 2013

The only way I know how to tell Joker shoes apart is from the inside where the heel would sit,Originals have clean smooth inside ( ] , DM's are marked DM and CTVT have what looks like a PLUS or a cross with 4 raised sections where heel is -+-

Hope this helps,

Comment

• LOU
      Museum FIN-atic
      • Nov 20, 2003

Hey thanks Flesh! Let me take a look at the shoes again to see if I can find the telltale cross and raised section you mention. What also makes me think these are CTVT repros is the fact that the foot opening on the shoe doesn't appear to be as wide as the originals. However since Joker was made from 1973-1981 or whatever the years were, I imagine there were some subtle changes in the shoes. I just don't want to contact the seller and say they are repro if they aren't. Let me take another look at them.

Comment

• LOU
        Museum FIN-atic
        • Nov 20, 2003

I just took a look Flesh and it looks like there is just one line inside the shoe where Jokers heel would sit. I don't see a cross in there as you descibe unless you are talking about the indention where the arch of the shoe inside turns into the heel. These repro parts really make Mego collecting a lot harder. Clearly CTVT should've had enough sense to mark their parts like the Doc does. All it does is crate confusion for us collectors who have zero interest in fake parts. Even on E-bay the number of figures with repro parts is ridiculous. Simply marking the parts as the Doc did would've made all the difference in the world. There is no reason for there to be this much confusion over Mego accessories. If you reproduce something, you should clearly mark it as such. Repros...a blessing and a curse to Mego collectors everywhere...all at the same time. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. I really think these are repro shoes, I just want to be sure before I contact the seller. Thanks for the help Flesh!

Comment

• LOU
          Museum FIN-atic
          • Nov 20, 2003

Oh and if you look closely at my pic...another reason why I think these are CTVT repros is because of the little pin-tip sized bumps along the side of the shoe. You can actually see that in the CTVT Joker shoes pic in the Accessory Check section...however I'm not sure if the originals also shared that characteristic.

Comment

• LOU
            Museum FIN-atic
            • Nov 20, 2003

Hey Flesh!
            I think I see what you're talking about. I just went and looked at the pic of the original Mego Joker shoes and it appears there is no "line" inside the show...however these shoes I have have a line that goes right down the center of the shoe lengthwise...you can see it inside the shoe and on the bottom. Did original Joker shoes have a lengthwise line on the bottom of the outside? These shoes I have do have a line under the heel on the outside that extends from toes to heel. Perhaps this is a tell tale sign that these are indeed CTVT repros?

Comment

• scoth70
              Persistent Member
              • Oct 17, 2008

hi lou

you got 100% repros heres mine ...repro on left original on right

Comment

• LOU
                Museum FIN-atic
                • Nov 20, 2003

Hey Scoth! Thanks my friend! Much appreciated! That helps IMMENSELY! Thank you!

Comment

• LOU
                  Museum FIN-atic
                  • Nov 20, 2003

Well I jettisoned a message to seller. I offered to accept a partial refund of $20. I paid $50 for the Joker and his head and outfit are real Mego and in great shape. So I think $20 is a fair refund amount because it's going to cost me $20 to get real Joker shoes I would imagine. Otherwise he's a gorgeous figure.

Comment

• scoth70
                    Persistent Member
                    • Oct 17, 2008

yes id say that's fair..if your happy cool... just need to hunt your originals now good luck

Comment

• LOU
                      Museum FIN-atic
                      • Nov 20, 2003

Thanks Scoth! Yeah,I mean $50 isn't obscene for a Joker with no shoes so I'm not too upset, as I said, his outfit, head, and jacket are great. I just need to find an original pair of Joker shoes. I wouldn't mind replacing his body either as it's a bit loose. I'll just grab a naked Joker somewhere and a pair of real shoes if I ever see them. I think John Boy Walton also wore the same shoes. Thanks!

Comment

• LOU
                        Museum FIN-atic
                        • Nov 20, 2003

Well THAT was fast! The seller already refunded me $20. So for $30 I have a nice Joker head and a complete outfit. So now I just search for a naked Joker and a pair of original Joker shoes! The hunt is on! Thanks again for your help in this thread guys!

Comment

• RobTMego
                          Career Member
                          • Mar 15, 2013

Yes, length wise lines are diff CTVT :( good luck getting it straightened out.

Comment

• LOU
                            Museum FIN-atic
                            • Nov 20, 2003

It's all good now Flesh! The seller gave me a partial refund of $20 so I only wound up paying $30 for a gorgeous Joker outfit and head. I just acquired a new body for him too so now all I need are his shoes and all is well in the Clown Prince Of Crime's world! Thanks again for the help fellas!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                              galactic yo-yo
                              • Apr 6, 2006

For the shoes,just keep your eyes open for parts lots. I just got a pair for mine last month in an Action Jackson parts lot. Got a pair of Hutch/Mr.Fantastic boots in the lot as well.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎