X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by LadyZod
    I still insist Orlando FL offers the best of everything...

1) two airports (the Sanford airport hosts flights from
    Allegiant Air, the super cheap airline)
    2) more hotels, convention centers, armories, etc than you can shake a stick at.
    3) multiple interstate highway connections
    4) theme parks to entertain spouses and children who don't want to play with dolls all day. (Also works as an excuse as a "Family Vacation")
    5) I'm only 1 1/2 hrs away by car...

Totally unbiased reasons, I assure you.

But NY works too.

I'm with you my friend You guys can make it a true vacation and head to Disney while you're there..I'm sure your kids and wives would love that
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by LadyZod
      I'm just hoping to see a few Mego peeps in O-town come FX Nov 15-17.
      so it's finally back?! yes !! I'm so there

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by bobws
        My biggest reasons for not getting to MM is Cost and Travel, if one was held closer to New England i would be tempted to go.
        There are several people who make the trip from the Boston/New England area nearly every year. If you talked with them, they could possibly have you along and split the costs of gas and tolls. It wouldn't be that bad price-wise I would think. Plus you have actual Mego people to share stories with on the long ride.

This has been suggested time and time again. I know there are many people in the NY/CT area who often say they wish they could go, yet never car-pool to go. All it takes is a little planning and if you can fill a car or minivan with 4-6 people to split tolls and gas it really won't cost that much. The hotel will be your biggest expense-unless you're comfortable sharing a room with someone, (a bit of a stretch I know if you're meeting someone for the first time).

You're all missing out on a lot of fun and meeting cool people who share your interests. Even if you haven't enough money to buy all the tempting vintage Mego merchandise at the event you can take all the photos you want and know that it will take place again next year so you can save up for the next visit. Some members do mail order, so if you can't buy it there, because all your money is tied up in room, board and travel expenses, you can order it at a later date from them.

Not to hijack the thread but I think one goal for next years Mego Meet should be to get people who have always been on the fence about going, to get together and make the trip. If we have multiple Meets next summer, perhaps we should have the Wheeling, Mego Meet later in the summer and smaller ones earlier, to get people to test the waters. A NY Mego Meet early on might be a nice welcoming for people on the fence about going to Wheeling and give them the incentive to make the trip later in the summer. The same could be done in other locales to get people who never went before to meet us and hopefully give them the push to go to the main one.

Comment

• mikeMc6
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 24, 2012

Love the idea of mini mego meets building up to the big meet in wheeling...
          I will say, something about toy collecting can make a sizable percentage of said collectors a bit disinterested in socializing. It can be an introverted hobby. I'm really keen on getting at least one or two newbies to my mego eat in a couple of weeks out here. Hope that happens.

The organizers should sell raffles for an an airline credit and free admission to mego meet. It would get people fantasizing and hoping to win a free trip and maybe invest them in going even if they don't win.
          INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
          WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

Originally posted by mego maniac mark
            Hey Chuck,
            Is there tickets available for that show? I am thinking I heard it is a sell out
            Try booking them. If you get turned down PM me and I'll see what I can do. PM me if you do get them because the hotels, right in the direct area are pricey, but you can room 15 minutes away for half the price and I think parking is around $10 for the whole day. I was told all the vendor sites and all of artist alley are sold out.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

He DID say it.

I said that he didn't own the hobby or the meet, he replied "says the guy in wheeling" how the hell else do you interpret THAT?

If that wasn't what he meant why did he say it? Why didn't he say what he meant?
              Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 14, '13, 10:45 PM.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
                Eccentric Weirdo
                • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by johnmiic
                Actually he never said that.

Maybe you should re-read what was posted because the bickering and fighting seem to be coming from you. As for taking it personally:

The whole thread is a proposal. Nothing is set in stone. Good ideas and suggestions come from everyone.
                It's not a proposal, it's an attack on the host city. Based on ONE GUY's comfort zone, and thinking just because he's charmed some TV and magazine people that he calls the shots.

Naturally he'll have his apologists, but I call it as I see it.

As for good ideas, I have yet to see one from the thread starter. The only one I support is a floating show that moves around the country, but logistics wouldn't cost out on that idea.

Moving it to NY is a bad idea. Everything would be more expensive.

Whatever, I'm done with this. Move the show, whatever. I met some pretty nice people in this hobby, but some people can really suck the fun out of something meant to be an escape.

I love that TPTB conspire to take what little interesting culture is in my friendly little burgh, and turn it into something ugly.
                Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 14, '13, 10:49 PM.
                Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by B-Lister
                  He DID say it. I said that he didn't own the hobby or the meet, he replied "says the guy in wheeling" how the hell else do you interpret THAT?
                  Not the way you interpreted it.

It's not a proposal, it's an attack on the host city. Based on ONE GUY's comfort zone, and thinking just because he's charmed some TV and magazine people that he calls the shots.

Naturally he'll have his apologists, but I call it as I see it.
                  I'm nobody's apologist or shill man. You don't have to take all this so personally. Moving the official Meet location has been discussed once or twice before.

As for good ideas, I have yet to see one from the thread starter. The only one I support is a floating show that moves around the country,
                  You just contradicted yourself. Plus I think there are lots of good ideas here.

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

My family and I rarely get to go on vacation, so a trip to Wheeling, WV is out of the question. There's no way I could convince them to go there, if we actually did get some time away.

My wife and I have been to New York, and she would like to go again. The kids even want to go too. It would be a great opportunity to hit the Mego Meet one day and sightsee the next couple.

Of course, I am putting in my vote for Chicago!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• mikeMc6
                      Persistent Member
                      • Mar 24, 2012

Slightly off course here but... how did wheeling become the Mego meet destination? I'm just curious on it's history. No axe to grind. No ulterior motive.
                      Is there an ancient post that speaks of its origins?
                      INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                      WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by BATMAN89
                        My family and I rarely get to go on vacation, so a trip to Wheeling, WV is out of the question. There's no way I could convince them to go there, if we actually did get some time away.

My wife and I have been to New York, and she would like to go again. The kids even want to go too. It would be a great opportunity to hit the Mego Meet one day and sightsee the next couple.

Of course, I am putting in my vote for Chicago!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                        Been to Chi town and I loved it there...I told my wife if we ever left Miami..Chicago would be on my top 3 in the list

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

I didn't want to get too involved in this thread because I'm sure there is much going on behind the scenes that we don't know about and we will be surprised with the goodness.

One thing I will comment on is tieing MM to a larger event.
                          Last talks about Mego meet I had with anyone was adding Wednesday to the trip.
                          What we find is, it goes by way too fast and not enough time to do all the things we want nor spend time with everyone.
                          If we add this to a convention, that's adding a whole other dynamic to an already overloaded event.
                          I don't mind the location - but I don't like having us split between rooms at Kruger street.
                          I don't mind our format.
                          I was re watching the megocon DVDs recently and aside from hanging with my peeps, the customs, the contests, I'd like to see more displays of vintage goodness.
                          I'd like to see Marty Abrams in person.

Comment

• hobub
                            Ghost of a Dead Indian
                            • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by mikeMc5
                            Slightly off course here but... how did wheeling become the Mego meet destination? I'm just curious on it's history. No axe to grind. No ulterior motive.
                            Is there an ancient post that speaks of its origins?
                            I did a Mego exhibit in there in 2004 that got allot of local media coverage on my collection and the curator Alan asked me what I thought about making an event there as costs would be extremely low since he owned the property and I passed it along to a few folks at the MM including the our very own Dave MC who ran a marathon with it (I could not assist much because I had other obligations at the time such as a pregnant wife and house renovations). I even remember Alan coining the name they could call it... "Megomeet", not to infringe upon name of the 2004 MegoCon (which actually infringed upon the name of the original MegoCon which I attended in Toledo in 1997). How's that for a memory?

====

I have been told that Marty would not go to Wheeling. Although he did go to Toledo, so Go figure. If it's in Wheeling, I'll make a strong point to be there. And I do not live there but it's of course not very far. I'd make the trek to Columbus, Cleveland or Pittsburgh on the same token. But anywhere else and I'll probably be forced to pass this year unless it's drastically moved to another time slot as well.
                            Last edited by hobub; Sep 15, '13, 1:19 PM.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                              Banned
                              • Jun 23, 2001

I thought it was a member called Burgerzking that helped get this started? I'm sorry that I forgot Burgerz real name. That's the way I remembered it...

Comment

• hobub
                                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                                • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                                I thought it was a member called Burgerzking that helped get this started? I'm sorry that I forgot Burgerz real name. That's the way I remembered it...
                                Nope, it was me at first. He blew my cover. I was trying to keep a low profile but did the exhibit under an anonymous name and he posted pictures of my collection all over here. The guys name is Bill Burger and he defitely deserves credit and I'm not sure where he vanished to. He did partner with Dave in the beginning of taking the torch but vanished soon there after. I just had no time to help form an event out of it. But the show was Alan's original idea. He passed it to me and I passed it to them.

Here's an archive I dug up for yunz: http://www.megomuseum.com/megolibrary/mmus/index.shtml They're intertwined with Rob Chatlin's CA exhibit he did around the same time. But my how we've grown. It was a thankless job but someone had to do it

headline.jpg
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by hobub; Sep 15, '13, 2:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎