Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to move the Meet out of Wheeling WV

Images
    Blog Entries
    It's really none of my Buisness.... Because I have never attended a Meet ..., and at this point I really dunno If I could ever afford 1, make myself afford 1, or even wanna go ... But like, going to New York, sounds so much cooler than going to West Virgina . Just Say'in.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Images
    Doc - I know where you're coming from. It's undeniable that the Northeast corridor is MegoLand. But somewhere in PA, away from Camden, makes more sense.

NY is affordable for those within the tri-state who are driving in, maybe staying one night, and heading back. I honestly think you could pull that off and tie it into E-Con and not affect the Meet attendance.

My vote has, is and always will be Columbus first, but the Steel City Con, i.e - Pittsburgh/Monroeville - has always been ideal. Great show. Twenty minutes outside Pittspuke. You get to hang at the Dawn of the Dead mall.

And both of these are the same drive time in different directions as Wheeling is.

I would also second Cincinnati, but all attendees must first sign a pact agreeing to the burning of Kenner Street, in the name of revenge.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...doing some research...I know this https://www.c2e2.com/ was tossed around before http://megomuseum.com/community/show...-in-April-2010 ...

...a definite welcome change from Wheeling, but could be a challenge both physically & financially for a lot of 'potential' folks...almost no different then NY in alot of ways.

Granted, there is no perfect 'One-Size-Fits-All' solution...the core group of regulars as a whole is pretty wide spread...but I know that whatever is chosen definitely had a lot of thought.

As always...I hope I can attend and help where I can.
    Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Images
    The megomeet is at a crossroad right now, as is the entire format. Failure to act now could send this whole 8" movement back into the dark ages. The Beatles started out in The Cavern Club with a handful of fans and ended up at Shea Stadium. Because they rode a wave. With the 10 year anniversary of megomeet, dozens and dozens of new 8" figures available and a few new, budding companies emerging, there is a wave beneath the 8" format right now. We cant keep mego figures a secret in some basement and expect big toy companies to take notice and start making characters we like and putting them in stores. Remember, the more characters that get made, the better chance there will be that your favorite one gets made. Although I would love to walk out my front door and right into the megomeet, I would rather see the whole event move to someplace I could not attend if it meant making the 8" movement as a whole better.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HumanWolfman View Post
    The megomeet is at a crossroad right now, as is the entire format. Failure to act now could send this whole 8" movement back into the dark ages. The Beatles started out in The Cavern Club with a handful of fans and ended up at Shea Stadium. Because they rode a wave. With the 10 year anniversary of megomeet, dozens and dozens of new 8" figures available and a few new, budding companies emerging, there is a wave beneath the 8" format right now. We cant keep mego figures a secret in some basement and expect big toy companies to take notice and start making characters we like and putting them in stores. Remember, the more characters that get made, the better chance there will be that your favorite one gets made. Although I would love to walk out my front door and right into the megomeet, I would rather see the whole event move to someplace I could not attend if it meant making the 8" movement as a whole better.
    I have a mental image of a man with long b(l)ack hair, wearing jean shorts and work boots, riding a giant wave on his custom Mego surfboard.

If I had to guess fifteen months ago, I would have thought it was a foregone conclusion that the tenth Mego Meet would not be in Wheeling. But there is something magical about Kruger Street for a lot of folks, and we're giving that careful consideration. A return to Kruger Street will require some assurances that certain things will be better. Options are being weighed, costs examined, etc. Stay tuned.

Someone mentioned mini meets. Would be nice to have one in California.

Images
    For me personally if the meet is moved to a place I have to fly to then I go from a dealer to an attendee. There is no way I'm mailing stuff to the show. Plus I will have to drive 3 hours to Atlanta to fly basically any where (Montgomery only has direct flights to a handful of cities). And that means paying for my vehicle being there all weekend. But that's just my situation.
    WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    We're weighing our options, they are:

1) Get a new venue in a new town, pay all expenses and hope it breaks even. This is very seriously being considered. I'm willing to invest personally in this as is Scott. We're not looking at places that we live near, both of us will be hopping planes.

2) Staying in Wheeling for one more year than setting sail.

Not every one is going to be happy with whatever decision we make and some will feel they can do it better but at the end of the day, we're going to try and make it the best Meet we can and hope some join us.

We've got a game plan to make this one our best yet, already started with a few things and we're hopeful we can have some fun with this one. Stay tuned as we'll probably need some volunteers.
    i'm sure you guys will make the best decision for the meet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by starsky View Post
    i'm sure you guys will make the best decision for the meet.
    My thoughts exactly... I know it will be made by gathering all the information and probably by making tough choices and I appreciate the effort put into it. Once the decision is made I will start making my plans to be there.

Having said that; I am available to help in anyway I can, from grunt work to event sponsorship. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Dave
    Castaway Toys... bringing back the action!

Images
    It's easy to suggest a city or location for an event like Mego Meet, but in reality you need to have connections, a venue lined up, and god knows how many other details to consider. I think Doc suggestion has more to do with the connections and opportunity to tie it to an existing event and venue than just the convenience of being nearby. It is impossible to find a location convenient to everyone, but I know that those in charge of the event will do everything they can to make it the best they can. I've not been able to attend in the past, but that has more to do with my own situation and ability to commit the time and money and scheduling than location.