X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by B-Lister
    Oh wait, Doc said on the first page that I and my city don't matter. He also said the meet and this hobby belong to him.
    Actually he never said that.

But, whatever. It seems all people want to do is Bicker and fight anymore...but some people want to make it personal...
    Maybe you should re-read what was posted because the bickering and fighting seem to be coming from you. As for taking it personally:

It has more to do with my dislike for New York and certain people it produces.
    The whole thread is a proposal. Nothing is set in stone. Good ideas and suggestions come from everyone.

Comment

• Captain Awesome
      Career Member
      • May 27, 2012

I dare ya to have it In Dallas/Ft Worth!!!
      Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• johnmiic
        Adrift
        • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by megocrazy
        Still hasn't been found by the way. Minnesota was the same way. Painful 10 days there too.
        You should try 7-11 coffee when DD is not available. You can at least add stuff to it your way to get close to the DD taste.

Comment

• mikeMc6
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 24, 2012

I assume it started in Wheeling because one of the admin/mm creators live nearby (50 mile radius)?...
          Even in its ninth year, there was a lot of tedious busywork to put it together. A new location needs a nearby bigwig...
          Smaller size cities with relatively low cost of living index and with some charming amenities (it appears DD is a cultural must have) and of course, an AIRPORT, is a must....(sorry expensive, big city Northeast, Chicago, Atlanta..)
          New location needs to be relatively close (300 miles) to original mego meet location to retain as many of the dedicated longtime attendees as possible (sorry Tacoma, Phoenix, Florida and including myself in the Pacific Northwest)
          Knoxville, Charleston, Pittsburgh area and yes, Land of Kenner too have possibilities assuming an admin guy is nearby, I dunno... Smaller cities like these complement the underdog style of mego collectors in the same way Wheeling does...
          No thanks IMO on joining a "Con" to lure the casual mego collector, just a frickin' airport will do the trick...
          Definitely do the tenth anniversary in Wheeling. Sounds like you have the best core group ever attending. I will watch the post meet gripes about restaurants, hotels and any other amenities issues with curiosity...sounds like no one explores wheeling outside of Kruger, if you had someplace a little more family friendly but not necessarily touristy would be helpful (what town hosts the Dunkin Donuts Museum?)

And yes, I'm just fantasizing possibilities here, I am not god or a board member here, please keep your underoos unbunched...Read this post carefully, as I have strategically "insulted" everyone's preference or opinion on some level so you can't say I am singling out any one person, ha!
          Last edited by mikeMc6; Sep 13, '13, 12:39 PM.
          INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
          WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• megocrazy
            Museum Trouble Maker
            • Feb 18, 2007

And we do have a Tim Horton's.
            Which is why I bring Dunkin Donuts ground coffee with me every year. Mind you, I have no problem with the Meet being in Wheeling. I actually support staying there. I just can't find a decent cup of coffee for the morning and even bringing the actual product isn't the same as what it is from the right maker.
            Last edited by megocrazy; Sep 13, '13, 2:31 PM.
            It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
              To Fear is Not Logical...
              • Feb 17, 2008

Here's a thought. I know this would separate a lot of people rather than make it one big gathering, but what if a weekend in June was decided to be Mego Meet weekend and then there were locations stationed on the west coast, east coast, central of the US, and then a Canada and Europe location? Admins or long-time members could be elected as "officers" to be the point person for each location?

Like I said that would take the "I get to meet you in person" event out of it, but then it could also put more people into traveling range? Maybe there could be some sort of Skype party or something to link all the locations together?

Just thinking really out of the box. Not thinking this is a great solution.

I personally have not gotten the chance to go mostly for either the summer program I work with or it falls on my son's b-day. This year I was under the weather which was a shame for me. The location is 5 hours away for me, but I've driven longer for other family vacations.
              It's all good!

Comment

• mikeMc6
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 24, 2012

Oooh! The simultaneous regional mego meets sound intriguing!
                I was always surprised there wasn't a midwest and west coast mego meet off-shoot...

Comment

• mikeMc6
                  Persistent Member
                  • Mar 24, 2012

That's where wheeling proponents have us beat. Probably the chief organizers are near there and their track record makes it hard to replicate.
                  I do think new york tri state area has some strong personalities to make a strong regional meet.
                  Do it dr. Mego! Id root for ya and will come if its between dec 24 and jan 1 (my philly xmas vacation)

Comment

• Relic
                    Banned
                    • Jun 24, 2012

I think underdog is on to something. Living where I do it is a 30 hour car drive to New york or anywhere on the east coast. There should be several mini meets a year. East coast, West coast, Southern states and somehere central like Chicago or Minneapolis. This would allow almost everyone to atttend one of these events during the year. In my case Minneapolis would only be a 7 drive. Hopefuly this can become a reality. I have never been to a Mego meet but would love to some day.

Comment

• megocrazy
                      Museum Trouble Maker
                      • Feb 18, 2007

I know there are some that hate to fly but a 7-8 hour one way trip would cost you around $150 in gas alone round trip. Another $20-$30 in tolls on average. My airfare last year was around $250 and I booked late. I was under $200 the year before. My 12 hour drive is a 3 hour flight when I have a stop over. Less than 2 direct. If flying is an option the overall cost is very similar minus the rental car. I paid $68 for 4 days last year of my car. If 2 people get together and arrange to meet it's only $34 each. The price is fairly reasonable into Pittsburgh if you search the different sites like Expedia and Priceline.

Comment

• bobws
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 13, 2008

My biggest reasons for not getting to MM is Cost and Travel, if one was held closer to New England i would be tempted to go. I would rather not go to a Convention even though i like going to those, just can't afford them anymore. My main reason to go to a meet would be to Meet all the other folks here and put faces to names.
                        "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• bgrimm77
                          NORTHEAST REPRESENTATIVE
                          • Jan 4, 2009

Just putting it out there, but the Raddisson Hotel in Manchester, N.h. has been known to host HUGE events...... 2 weeks ago it hosted the granite state tattoo expo with 1000's in attendance. they have the space and affordable rooms, more so if a group discount was possibly offered....... but hey what do I know?
                          WHEREVER YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE AT

Comment

• megocrazy
                            Museum Trouble Maker
                            • Feb 18, 2007

There will be several members in attendance at the RI Comicon this November. Anyone that is in the New England/New York area that wants to attend, and do a local Meet and eat, let me know. There are several nice restaurants in the area, that are affordable. I'm happy to arrange it if I know how many are coming. We had an opportunity to get a booth for ourselves but the date expired for me being able to get it, so I can't arrange that anymore, but it's a very nice venue right across the street from the new Hasbro main offices. It's expanded from 35,000 to 100,00 sf this year and the promoter told me last week that all the vendor and artist booths are sold out.

Comment

• mego maniac mark
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 3, 2010

Originally posted by megocrazy
                              There will be several members in attendance at the RI Comicon this November. Anyone that is in the New England/New York area that wants to attend, and do a local Meet and eat, let me know. There are several nice restaurants in the area, that are affordable. I'm happy to arrange it if I know how many are coming. We had an opportunity to get a booth for ourselves but the date expired for me being able to get it, so I can't arrange that anymore, but it's a very nice venue right across the street from the new Hasbro main offices. It's expanded from 35,000 to 100,00 sf this year and the promoter told me last week that all the vendor and artist booths are sold out.
                              Hey Chuck,
                              Is there tickets available for that show? I am thinking I heard it is a sell out
                              mego's befo ho's

Comment

• toys2cool
                                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                                • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                                even further from Florida and assuming more expensive motel and meal wise.
                                yup, but I agree it should change locations
                                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎