X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bronxboykev
    Permanent Member
    • Mar 7, 2011

Wherever the powers that be decide to hold this just let a brotha know, I'm ready to travel... Wheeling is cool and we love the travel (6-8hr drive) it also gives me a reason to visit my friend who lives in Pitt on the way back... post the hotel link and I'm booking!!!
    This is not a vote or a push to move it out of wheeling and into New York but ladies and gentlemen who have a bad impression of a move to NY don't let the NY fool you, NYS is not NYC... I myself born and raised in this great city (DA Bronx) Can not stand the Borough of Manhattan AKA NYC... I do everything possible to avoid the City... Everything there is over priced and over crowded, but come out of Manhattan and to the outer Boroughs and cities the Marriott/Hampton/Quality inns are the same everywhere as are the fast food chains and diners drive ins and dives...
    As long as its OUR group attending, the venu is secondary... I'm already getting ancy, Hope the days fly till June!!!

Comment

• Bronxboykev
      Permanent Member
      • Mar 7, 2011

What I wouldn't be opposed to this year is a change of weekend... The weekend before or after the first weekend in June... Unfortunately the first weekend in june will leave me without my trusty side kick my brother, being that we started this adventure together I'd hate to have to do it without him )

Comment

• WannabeMego
        Made in the USA
        • May 2, 2003

Are there going to be multiple proposals/suggestions and it will be put to a vote?
        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

Why do we have to have only ONE meet? Couldn't we have one for those of us on the East Coast, and one for the ones on the West?

It could be held over a three day weekend in the summer, at a host hotel like the Marriot. I've been to DragonCon in Atlanta, and they have HUMONGOUS rooms for panels, as well as for vendors. Okay, so we might not need something that vast, but we could easily get one of the mid sized suites for all of us megoheads, couldn't we?

Mind you, I have never been to one, because I am usually working on the Father's Day weekend, but if it were in NY, even up here in the Bronx, I'd be glad to attend. There are quite a few hotels within a short distance from LaGuardia airport, and they host conventions quite a lot.

Okay, I understand that driving from Rhode Island is a pain in the rear, and flying up from Florida can be a hassle; but unless we start having bunches of mini-Meets in different states, what other options are there?
          JediJaida

Comment

• drmego
            EMCE Toys
            • Jun 15, 2001

I mentioned making Eternal Con Mego Meet mainly because it happens so close to the Meet. I really did not expect so much teeth gnashing over it.

I have attended EVERY SINGLE Meet since 2004 - even in 2009 when I was about to leave for China to adopt
            my son Eddie and I was working day and night on the Mattel prototypes for SDCC. I still found time to get myself to the Meet.
            And if we are in Wheeling this June - I will be there again - because I actually like you guys.

What I don't like about Wheeling is that you can't fly there. You have to go to Pittsburgh, rent a car, and drive an hour.
            When we drive, there is almost always a horrible accident or construction adding a good hour to the trip. We come off the
            highway, check into the hotel, and spend all our time at the Toy and Train Musuem basement - which can be done anywhere.
            It isn't that there is anything wrong with Wheeling - it's that there's no compelling reason to be there!

It's up to the Meet showrunners to make the actual decision in their own good time - I just like to start discussions.

Eternal Con is really for New Yorkers and Jersey and I want to bring attention to 2014's show. If Frank didn't expand Eternal Con to 2 days, I wouldn't have brought it up at all.
            If he moved it to July, I wouldn't have brought it up -except as a show for New Yorkers.
            www.drmego.com
            www.megoman.com
            www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• boss
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 18, 2003

I think until someone else steps up and agrees to coordinate this whole thing on their time (and deal with the resulting backlash) we should be thankful this even happens at all. Moving it seems silly.
              Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Random Axe
                The Voice of Reason
                • Apr 16, 2008

There are great points to be made for both moving and not moving it. The bottom line is somebody here is going to have to do the majority of the legwork, making calls to reserve a hall, hotel/motel info or discounts, finding restraunts, organizing and collecting figures for the custom auction, updating registration information, making sure tables are secured and everyone gets what they paid for, getting presenters for panel discussions, find judges for the customs contest, find prizes for the customs contest, find someone to deliver Friday night pizza, coordinate group photo, pay for a Mego suite out of their pocket and of course deal with the aftermath of negative Nancys who didn't have their version of a perfect weekend even after all the hard work was put into it.

Any volunteers?

When you break this down, there's a lot going on behind the scenes that isn't seen and rarely appreciated. Anyone thinking we can just move this without a lot of thought or planning behind it is very, very wrong. We need to have a pointman wherever we end up getting stuff coordinated, someone local we can trust. Also, expect a raise in price to attend and for tables. There's a helluva lot of things to consider with this, not the least of which is the human effect on the show planners. This is a major decision that needs to be fully thought out. A vote will do nothing but cause further division. Let's make a decision soon and lets get to work on it.
                I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

We're weighing our options, they are:

1) Get a new venue in a new town, pay all expenses and hope it breaks even. This is very seriously being considered. I'm willing to invest personally in this as is Scott. We're not looking at places that we live near, both of us will be hopping planes.

2) Staying in Wheeling for one more year than setting sail.

Not every one is going to be happy with whatever decision we make and some will feel they can do it better but at the end of the day, we're going to try and make it the best Meet we can and hope some join us.

We've got a game plan to make this one our best yet, already started with a few things and we're hopeful we can have some fun with this one. Stay tuned as we'll probably need some volunteers.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• VintageMike
                    Permanent Member
                    • Dec 16, 2004

It was already said earlier that announcement regarding the "official" Meet would be made soon. Seems like any discussion wait should until that announcement is made.

Comment

• batmanmc
                      mego batman collector
                      • Jun 22, 2004

I drive 10-12 hours depending on traffic and stops , I will attend as long as I can drive because if I have to fly I can't bring my stuff for my table and not sure that would work for me. If they move it I will do everything possible to attend. I attend because of the people not the show or dealers .

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

It's really none of my Buisness.... Because I have never attended a Meet ..., and at this point I really dunno If I could ever afford 1, make myself afford 1, or even wanna go ... But like, going to New York, sounds so much cooler than going to West Virgina . Just Say'in.
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Doc - I know where you're coming from. It's undeniable that the Northeast corridor is MegoLand. But somewhere in PA, away from Camden, makes more sense.

NY is affordable for those within the tri-state who are driving in, maybe staying one night, and heading back. I honestly think you could pull that off and tie it into E-Con and not affect the Meet attendance.

My vote has, is and always will be Columbus first, but the Steel City Con, i.e - Pittsburgh/Monroeville - has always been ideal. Great show. Twenty minutes outside Pittspuke. You get to hang at the Dawn of the Dead mall.

And both of these are the same drive time in different directions as Wheeling is.

I would also second Cincinnati, but all attendees must first sign a pact agreeing to the burning of Kenner Street, in the name of revenge.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                            Made in the USA
                            • May 2, 2003

Hmmm...doing some research...I know this https://www.c2e2.com/ was tossed around before http://megomuseum.com/community/show...-in-April-2010 ...

...a definite welcome change from Wheeling, but could be a challenge both physically & financially for a lot of 'potential' folks...almost no different then NY in alot of ways.

Granted, there is no perfect 'One-Size-Fits-All' solution...the core group of regulars as a whole is pretty wide spread...but I know that whatever is chosen definitely had a lot of thought.

As always...I hope I can attend and help where I can.
                            Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• HumanWolfman
                              Type3Toys Has Transformed
                              • Oct 5, 2011

The megomeet is at a crossroad right now, as is the entire format. Failure to act now could send this whole 8" movement back into the dark ages. The Beatles started out in The Cavern Club with a handful of fans and ended up at Shea Stadium. Because they rode a wave. With the 10 year anniversary of megomeet, dozens and dozens of new 8" figures available and a few new, budding companies emerging, there is a wave beneath the 8" format right now. We cant keep mego figures a secret in some basement and expect big toy companies to take notice and start making characters we like and putting them in stores. Remember, the more characters that get made, the better chance there will be that your favorite one gets made. Although I would love to walk out my front door and right into the megomeet, I would rather see the whole event move to someplace I could not attend if it meant making the 8" movement as a whole better.
                              View My Customs
                              www.type3toys.com
                              or check here
                              http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                                Moderation Engineer
                                • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by HumanWolfman
                                The megomeet is at a crossroad right now, as is the entire format. Failure to act now could send this whole 8" movement back into the dark ages. The Beatles started out in The Cavern Club with a handful of fans and ended up at Shea Stadium. Because they rode a wave. With the 10 year anniversary of megomeet, dozens and dozens of new 8" figures available and a few new, budding companies emerging, there is a wave beneath the 8" format right now. We cant keep mego figures a secret in some basement and expect big toy companies to take notice and start making characters we like and putting them in stores. Remember, the more characters that get made, the better chance there will be that your favorite one gets made. Although I would love to walk out my front door and right into the megomeet, I would rather see the whole event move to someplace I could not attend if it meant making the 8" movement as a whole better.
                                I have a mental image of a man with long b(l)ack hair, wearing jean shorts and work boots, riding a giant wave on his custom Mego surfboard.

If I had to guess fifteen months ago, I would have thought it was a foregone conclusion that the tenth Mego Meet would not be in Wheeling. But there is something magical about Kruger Street for a lot of folks, and we're giving that careful consideration. A return to Kruger Street will require some assurances that certain things will be better. Options are being weighed, costs examined, etc. Stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎