X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drmego
    EMCE Toys
    • Jun 15, 2001

It's time to move the Meet out of Wheeling WV

After 9 years in Wheeling WV, the Meet has gotten bigger, but the location has not gotten better.

Don't get me wrong - I thought the Hampton Inn was a great improvement over the Super 8, but
    I think we need to start trying out the Meet in other cities - ones with an airport!

Most of the attendance to the Meet comes from Museum members travelling hours and hours to
    get there. When we inquired about a different location in the past, all we got was everyone
    saying it should be in their backyard, so this time I am putting forth the location (in my backyard).

Eternal Con - also known as Long Island Comicon - a fun show with vintage GI Joes and megos
    was started on the day before Father's Day and got 3,000 people to attend.
    In 2014, it will be a two day show at the end of May. I am looking for MEGO people who
    want to set up a special area for a New York Mego Meet.

Frank of Eternal Collector - the organizer of Eternal Con - is willing to give us a devoted space. Since a good number
    of us from New York, New Jersey, Conneticut, Maryland, Massascheuts, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island trek to
    Wheeling WV - I thought it would be a good idea to try out a location closer to us.

If you're interested, I will look into getting a block of hotels at a decent local hotel for those dates.

I might even be willing to have a dinner at my house on the Saturday night.
    www.drmego.com
    www.megoman.com
    www.emcetoys.com
  • drmego
    EMCE Toys
    • Jun 15, 2001

Regardless of whether Eternal Con is the actual Mego Meet for 2014, I am sending
    the Meet organizers a list of mego fans by state to see, impartially, where the
    highest concentration is.
    www.drmego.com
    www.megoman.com
    www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• boss
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 18, 2003

sorry... have no desire to go to anything in New York.
      Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I'm in Atlantic Canada and have been dying to attend the Meet since it's inception....but the location never worked for me. I personally would LOVE to see the Meet offered in a different location, easier to get to for the majority.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Bronxboykev
          Permanent Member
          • Mar 7, 2011

Wheeling or LI or somewhere in between. Just let me know when and where. I am a bit torn though about the size of Eternal con as opposed to the quaintness of The Toy and train Museum.

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

even further from Florida and assuming more expensive motel and meal wise. Besides, didn't some other site try a Mego Convention in NY already?
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

Regardless of where we do this, a dec ision needs to be made. If we are expected to save money, make flight arrangements, book hotels and hook up with a con we need to really get this going now. My vote would be for an improved WV experience for a last time, tenth anniversary farewell blast. However this is going to proceed, it needs to start forward momentum soon.
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• LadyZod
                Superman's Gal Pal
                • Jan 27, 2007

I still insist Orlando FL offers the best of everything...

1) two airports (the Sanford airport hosts flights from
                Allegiant Air, the super cheap airline)
                2) more hotels, convention centers, armories, etc than you can shake a stick at.
                3) multiple interstate highway connections
                4) theme parks to entertain spouses and children who don't want to play with dolls all day. (Also works as an excuse as a "Family Vacation")
                5) I'm only 1 1/2 hrs away by car...

Totally unbiased reasons, I assure you.

But NY works too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
                Check out my art:
                Art Portfolio@Redbubble
                Art Portfolio@Tumblr

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

The meet doesn't belong to Doctor Mego and it never will.

Nor, for that matter does this hobby.

Do I think we need a change of venue? That decision is with those who organize the show. And it has been debated.

Will a decision be reached by next June? Possibly.

But MMX will be in Wheeling.

And I might follow the show to Indianapolis, or Philly, but I won't follow it to NYC.
                  Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 7, '13, 7:04 PM.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• drmego
                    EMCE Toys
                    • Jun 15, 2001

Says the guy that lives in Wheeling - I figured anyone in Wheeling would find the idea horrible.

Originally posted by B-Lister
                    The meet doesn't belong to Doctor Mego and it never will.

Nor, for that matter does this hobby.
                    www.drmego.com
                    www.megoman.com
                    www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

We're working on the Meet's future Paul, if you want to discuss your ideas, we'd appreciate your input but I honestly find this counter productive.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

It has nothing to do with where I live (but it apparently is all about where YOU live). The show existed in wheeling for years before i found out about it. yeah, it's nice that it's in my backyard, but that's not my only reason for going. I would happily go to Boston, or Indy, or Philly.

It has more to do with my dislike for New York and certain people it produces. I would give it up to another city. It is unfortunate that You feel Wheeling is undeserving, but then, New York has EVERYTHING so why not take this too, eh?

Do I want the show to grow? Sure. I don't want it in the basement forever. But why does it have to leave Wheeling? Why New York? Because YOU live there?

I have no interest in entering a ****ing match with you, Paul, but this is not your decision to make. It is the community's. and I think everybody should have an equal say in the matter regardless of their entertainment industry credentials.

In the end, the organizers will do what they think is best, and I definitely hope it IS for the best. For all involved.
                        Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 7, '13, 7:50 PM.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• megocrazy
                          Museum Trouble Maker
                          • Feb 18, 2007

I fly in, so location really doesn't mean that much to me. The experience is what I go for. I went to EternalCon and it was an OK show. I can't say that the distraction of a larger show gets me the same experience. Not saying Wheeling is the answer, or suggesting any where in general, but I'm there as long as I get the same end result as I've always gotten, doesn't matter to me where it is. I hardly live in the boonies and I drive almost as far to my own state airport as I do Pitt to Wheeling so that really doesn't make much difference. I do agree that if a change is being made, it should be done early. I know waiting until later to book flights has cost me upwards of $100 plus on airfares. That kinda sucks. As I've always said, the people make the Meet, not necessarily the location.
                          It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

I have to admit a fear of New York. If the meet goes there, I will not.
                            It's totally in my head, no fault of anyone.
                            I don't mind the eight hour drive.
                            Even with Chicago two hours north of me, if the meet went there, I'd have some issues...big cities just aren't my thing.
                            Again, no fault of anyone, just my head.

There was a poll by Brian and Steve not too long ago about this very thing.
                            I'm sure they are discussing stuff that will be cool and new for next year.

Comment

• VinMan
                              Career Member Mego Maniac
                              • Sep 6, 2012

Even if the Meet is not moved to NY, would it be so horrible to do something at Eternal Con as well? Like a "mini-Meet"?
                              I drove almost 100 miles to Eternal Con and met some Mego peeps. I would do it again right now in the dark if I could.
                              Met Doc, batmanmc, megocrazy and spyweb007 that day. Went home happy about that.

I have plans to go to Wheeling this year but would go to Eternal Con as well.
                              We should do both!! There is Mego Eat and other stuff like that. Matbe a "Part 2" at Eternal COn??
                              Last edited by VinMan; Sep 7, '13, 7:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎