X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornelius POTA
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2011

Originally posted by toys2cool
    I'm with you my friend You guys can make it a true vacation and head to Disney while you're there..I'm sure your kids and wives would love that
    I'm with Lady Zod and Toys2cool .... I mentioned Orlando, Fl...not because I live here but it's a tourist destination mega.

You have Mego peeps all over Florida and the South. It's traditionally held in a NORTH town of Wheeling, VA.

Just think how many MM peep would plan a yearly vacation to Florida.

There are so many hotels here and I could even call and ask about rates for MM if needed.
    Cornelius POTA sigpic MEGO of the Planet Of The Apes :ape:
    :smiley13: Cornelius is home.
    I'm in a groove and on the move collecting Mego POTA figures. PM me anytime.

Comment

• Duncan
      Museum focus-groupie
      • Jun 27, 2009

Random suggestions, in case anyone wants some:

- I recently stayed at The Inn at Reading in Reading PA. Nice, big, clean room for $50 on Priceline or Hotwire. Looks like they could easily hold the Meet, and only an hour from Philly.

- Columbus would be a great choice, but I live there so I'm biased.

- I'd strongly prefer Indy over Chi if we're headed to that area, for the same reason I'd avoid Bos, NY, Phi, etc. It's just not worth it to me to put up with the Big City headaches.

- Pitt, Erie or Buffalo would work if you want to stay near the same longitude. I spent a day in each city this summer, and there's plenty to do. Pitt would be a good choice: Pirates, Kennywood Park, Ikea, Nordstrom.

Comment

• mikeMc6
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 24, 2012

Love the backstory on mego meet! Consider yourself a mego celebrity, hobub!
        I thought I set myself up nicely for ridicule, or at least a Reply With Quote when I said "I consider myself the future Of Mego Collecting" ha!

This whole feeling out what it would be like to move mego meet is, if anything, a fun exercise in fantasy conjecture..especially for the large contingent of mego collectors who will probably never make it to wheeling because of logistics.
        I understand completely the urge to keep the staus quo..if it ain't broke don't fix it. Meanwhile the mystery bigwigs that control the future of mego meet observe from above this thread like those Watchers from marvel or those Ant like Priest kings from those horrid John Norman Gor novels* What will they do? Which pant leg do they pull up first?
        IF they do move out somewhere within a few hundred miles of wheeling but near an airport with decent accommodations, I know for sure the stalwarts** will be there as well as a whole bunch of new friends only previously known on the ether net...Can you imagine?

*I read that series when I was twelve, man that messed up my idea of human relationships for a while
        **This is not a wart joke on the mego meet longtime attendees
        Last edited by mikeMc6; Sep 15, '13, 11:54 PM.
        INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
        WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• rchatlin
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 24, 2001

Originally posted by hobub
          ... not to infringe upon name of the 2004 MegoCon (which actually infringed upon the name of the original MegoCon which I attended in Toledo in 1997). How's that for a memory?

Len,
          did I meet you at Megocon? I was there with my 8" figure set up against the back wall.
          I think I have pics somewhere - I'll try to dig them out.

r
          o
          b

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

Ok i like megomeet becuase of the people make it part of a bigger show and its no longer megomeet. Sorry just my opinion. Its not a show or con its a meet i go for the people not displays goodes or deals or whatever. Making it part of a bigger show or con takes away the megomeet experience in my opinion. I will try to attend it the first year it moves if it moves. Whatever the people who do all the work decide is fine with me even if i didnt like thier final decision. Mike

Comment

• hobub
              Ghost of a Dead Indian
              • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by rchatlin
              Len,
              did I meet you at Megocon? I was there with my 8" figure set up against the back wall.
              I think I have pics somewhere - I'll try to dig them out.

r
              o
              b
              Rob,
              In '97, you had a complete set!
              Yes we talked and I admired your SI's and your RMR and RCB. That was a major inspiration to go after them all.

I only regretted passing on the $75 complete Silver Soldier ape.

Comment

• mikeMc6
                Persistent Member
                • Mar 24, 2012

I agree with batmanmc and no matter what happens, mego meet should NOT be part of any Con or any other what have you. And Moving megomeet to another nearby small city near an airport will not render the comraderie that exists in the Wheeling experience IMO.
                I just received a pop up bubble telling me my posts to this thread have exceeded their limit. I humbly pull from this fantasy conjecture and will excitedly read future posts on this informative thread as an audience member.
                Freebird!
                INEPT VINTAGE WISENHEIMER
                WANTS: Thrashed Riddler Box, RM mask (beater ok) ...and a pony

Comment

• Evel KMego
                  Museum Daredevil
                  • Apr 26, 2006

My ten cents.... I would hate to see it tied to a bigger con. It would lose it's tight knit community friendly feeling. I believe if it is moved, it should be a medium sized city. Columbus, Cincy, Indy. Not a huge Mecca like New York, Orlando or LA - very cost prohibitive. One thing I think has slowly been disappearing from the Meet is vintage mego related stuff. I enjoy customs and own a few, but customizers are only a portion of our members. We need to do something to spotlight vintage again. 80'sToyman(sorry can't remember your name), Greg Mason, we need more dealers to show. Whatever is decided, I will still do my best to go, I've made some great friends over the years.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I would love to do Orlando, but you're looking at 2K between flying a family, lodging and Disney or Universal.

At that point, it really would be a Mego "Meet", cause I ain't buying s***

Comment

• drmego
                      EMCE Toys
                      • Jun 15, 2001

My whole point for starting this dust-up was to get the word out there for Eternal Con - also known as Long Island Comicon.

I come from a big family where it's fun to get everyone arguing over something just to hear what comes out.

I will be in Wheeling next June XX if that is where the Meet is - because I am the Mego Pope!
                      www.drmego.com
                      www.megoman.com
                      www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• pmwasson
                        Maker
                        • Sep 12, 2007

Infallible?
                        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• drmego
                          EMCE Toys
                          • Jun 15, 2001

Inflatable!
                          www.drmego.com
                          www.megoman.com
                          www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• starsky
                            veteran member
                            • Aug 26, 2007

i think it's a great to have discussions!

Comment

• Captain Awesome
                              Career Member
                              • May 27, 2012

Inflatable Pope! HA!!! I don't care who you are, THAT'S funny!
                              Courage is being scared to death but saddlin' up anyway. - John Wayne

Comment

• megojim
                                Permanent Member
                                • Oct 13, 2001

wow, quite the thread here . . . . I think Mansfield, TX is the obvious choice . . . . . see you guys next summer
                                My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎