Page 1 of 12 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: It's time to move the Meet out of Wheeling WV

Blog Entries

It's time to move the Meet out of Wheeling WV

After 9 years in Wheeling WV, the Meet has gotten bigger, but the location has not gotten better.

Don't get me wrong - I thought the Hampton Inn was a great improvement over the Super 8, but
    I think we need to start trying out the Meet in other cities - ones with an airport!

Most of the attendance to the Meet comes from Museum members travelling hours and hours to
    get there. When we inquired about a different location in the past, all we got was everyone
    saying it should be in their backyard, so this time I am putting forth the location (in my backyard).

Eternal Con - also known as Long Island Comicon - a fun show with vintage GI Joes and megos
    was started on the day before Father's Day and got 3,000 people to attend.
    In 2014, it will be a two day show at the end of May. I am looking for MEGO people who
    want to set up a special area for a New York Mego Meet.

Frank of Eternal Collector - the organizer of Eternal Con - is willing to give us a devoted space. Since a good number
    of us from New York, New Jersey, Conneticut, Maryland, Massascheuts, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island trek to
    Wheeling WV - I thought it would be a good idea to try out a location closer to us.

If you're interested, I will look into getting a block of hotels at a decent local hotel for those dates.

I might even be willing to have a dinner at my house on the Saturday night.

Blog Entries
    Regardless of whether Eternal Con is the actual Mego Meet for 2014, I am sending
    the Meet organizers a list of mego fans by state to see, impartially, where the
    highest concentration is.

Images
    sorry... have no desire to go to anything in New York.
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Images
    I'm in Atlantic Canada and have been dying to attend the Meet since it's inception....but the location never worked for me. I personally would LOVE to see the Meet offered in a different location, easier to get to for the majority.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Wheeling or LI or somewhere in between. Just let me know when and where. I am a bit torn though about the size of Eternal con as opposed to the quaintness of The Toy and train Museum.

Images
    Blog Entries
    even further from Florida and assuming more expensive motel and meal wise. Besides, didn't some other site try a Mego Convention in NY already?
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Regardless of where we do this, a dec ision needs to be made. If we are expected to save money, make flight arrangements, book hotels and hook up with a con we need to really get this going now. My vote would be for an improved WV experience for a last time, tenth anniversary farewell blast. However this is going to proceed, it needs to start forward momentum soon.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Blog Entries
    I still insist Orlando FL offers the best of everything...

1) two airports (the Sanford airport hosts flights from
    Allegiant Air, the super cheap airline)
    2) more hotels, convention centers, armories, etc than you can shake a stick at.
    3) multiple interstate highway connections
    4) theme parks to entertain spouses and children who don't want to play with dolls all day. (Also works as an excuse as a "Family Vacation")
    5) I'm only 1 1/2 hrs away by car...

Totally unbiased reasons, I assure you.

But NY works too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My life through toys: Tales from the Toybox!
    Check out my art:
    Art Portfolio@Redbubble
    Art Portfolio@Tumblr

The meet doesn't belong to Doctor Mego and it never will.

Nor, for that matter does this hobby.

Do I think we need a change of venue? That decision is with those who organize the show. And it has been debated.

Will a decision be reached by next June? Possibly.

But MMX will be in Wheeling.

And I might follow the show to Indianapolis, or Philly, but I won't follow it to NYC.
    Last edited by B-Lister; Sep 7, '13 at 7:04 PM.
    Looking for Iron Man Belt, Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Fever J, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman)

Blog Entries
    Says the guy that lives in Wheeling - I figured anyone in Wheeling would find the idea horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Lister View Post
    The meet doesn't belong to Doctor Mego and it never will.

Nor, for that matter does this hobby.