X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoCapnMike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 22, 2012

What's up with the Tribble?

Well, I thought I knew most of the Star Trek / Mego / trivia but somehow I missed or overlooked this. Likely I was looking for info on something else and just looked past it I guess. Anyway, I am wondering about the Tribble in the Star Trek line. Info on the site says something about its existence being debated. What's the story here? Is there one even?

I assume its one of those that somebody "had" or "saw" as a kid but none have been recorded. So like I said, what's the story?
    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught
  • MegoCapnMike
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 22, 2012

Anyone? I know there has to be at least a simple story here...
    Looking for:

--Lion Rock "Mr Rock's" shoes/ boots (these may also be the same as the lion rock monster line boots)

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Mego never released a plush tribble.

Another company did eventually, so people did see them as kids, just not in Toys R Us.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Aricosaur
        Museum Super Collector
        • Jul 26, 2013

Originally posted by palitoy
        ...just not in Toys R Us.
        There was a tribble in Toys R Us when I was there a few days ago. It was sitting on a shelf purring to itself.

Comment

• palitoy
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Aricosaur
          There was a tribble in Toys R Us when I was there a few days ago. It was sitting on a shelf purring to itself.
          Okay, it wasn't made by mego.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

I'm guessing that new one is the one that's up on Ebay now under the Mego section.

Comment

• DaBillmann
              Museum Patron
              • Jun 16, 2011

Ok, I remember having a mego catalog when I was about 11, so would be around 1977 1978, and on a Star Trek page in that catalog, they advertise tribbles that "coo and purr". I do not have the catalog anymore, but, I know for a fact that was in there. So, if mego never made their own tribble, did they ever buy something someone else made and sell it in their catalogs?

Oh wait, it might not have been a mego catalog. It might have been a Heros World catalog. Did thye put non mego items on the same page as mego items?
              Last edited by DaBillmann; Aug 31, '13, 12:47 PM. Reason: Oh wait

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Heroes World grouped things by category, not by manufacturer and is probably the main source of the confusion.

Comment

• Aricosaur
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jul 26, 2013

Okay, it wasn't made by mego.
                  No, obviously not. I gave the tribble a couple of strokes on the back, but I didn't look close enough to see who made it. I suspect Diamond Select.

It was just so weird wondering down the action figure isle and there's a tribble contentedly cooing on a shelf.

Comment

• scifiguy94
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 18, 2009

I remember seeing a tribble back in the day in the Johnson C Smith catalog in the section with all the other Trek stuff but it wasn't made by Mego.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

I can understand why Mego didn't go through with making one. The pics of the one on the back of the aliens series cards here on the Museum look like a fuzzy potato.

Comment

• MegoCapnMike
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 22, 2012

So basically, Mego planned one but didn't release it, then another company made one and that is often confused with the Mego line? Sounds like what I'm hearing anyway.

It really amazes me how many little things like this are out there. Things that were scrapped or changed or whatever at the last minute and no explanation. Of course the mystery can be fun too...
                        Looking for:

--Mystery Astronaught

Comment

• johnmiic
                          Adrift
                          • Sep 6, 2002

I would guess any Tribbles released in the 1970's were made for Lincoln Enterprises; which was the company Rodenberry took away from Bjo Trimble and gave to his wife Majel to run.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MegoCapnMike
                            So basically, Mego planned one but didn't release it, then another company made one and that is often confused with the Mego line? Sounds like what I'm hearing anyway.

It really amazes me how many little things like this are out there. Things that were scrapped or changed or whatever at the last minute and no explanation. Of course the mystery can be fun too...
                            We now have a network of people who communicate directly with toy companies and get answers. Adult collectors in the 1970s, were weirdos and treated as such. So we didn't get answers until we tracked down these folks.

The answer as to why Mego didn't make something is usually "Nobody bought".

Comment

• DaBillmann
                              Museum Patron
                              • Jun 16, 2011

Heroes World grouped things by category, not by manufacturer and is probably the main source of the confusion.
                              Ok, now that you say that, I remember there may have been other non mego items in that catalog, though I have no idea what they were.

i never even knew how i got the catalog. I got home from sixth grade camp in the middle of january, and my sister said I got soem mail, and it was on my bed.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎