X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den82
    Career Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Paint for Vintage Star Wars

After seeing a custom Yavin Luke, I want to try my hand at custom vintage SW. My only question is what kind of paint do you use? Obviously not Acrylics. Model paint?
  • ussapache
    • Feb 26, 2010

Hi,

I use Vallejo and Games Workshop paints to paint my custom figures and have never had a problem. The best way is to wash the area you want to paint with warm soapy water and then let it dry.

Once dry give the area a spray of testors dull coate or something similar this will let the paint adhere better. Once the dull coate has dried just start painting and once complete seal it with dull coate again.

Ron

Comment

• Access
      Veteran Member
      • May 22, 2013

Vallejo is acrylic. I've been toying with the idea of getting back into modeling too, any suggestions on a full paint setup? Price isn't really an option.

Comment

• Den82
        Career Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

OK, cool. I got my two fodder figures yesterday. I want to make a Yavin Luke Skywalker inspired by the one Mego Mike here did. The Luke I got was a Bespin Luke. Which is a boil and pop head, but the han figure isn't. So I had to buy a vintage Luke Farmboy. I did a good job of sanding details out, but the head issue was a mess. Any tricks to getting sculpty to bond to plastic better?

I am going to buy paints this week. Any other suggestions? Something I can get in a Michaels Craft store.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Any tricks to getting sculpty to bond to plastic better?

If you're using Sculpey things get tricky. Sculpey has almost no adherence. Epoxy putty is better, but even then it doesn't always stick to the types of softer plastics they use on some figures. I've had some luck sculpting the part on the figure, and once the putty hardens letting it fall off, and gluing it back on with superglue.

>Something I can get in a Michaels Craft store

That's tricky too. A lot of the acrylics you get at craft shops are nice, but fragile. Get some Testors spray varnish to protect them with afterwards.

Don C.

Comment

• Den82
            Career Member
            • Jan 17, 2011

OK, cool. Thanks.

I tried to use some Acrylic paint on it just to test, but it looked awful. Very gritty and rough and just washed off.

Comment

• gaga4toyz
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 10, 2004

I would try aves epoxy sculpt to sculpt with.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎