• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkey tennis
    "Kiss my face."
    • Jun 8, 2007

G.I. Joe Vs Action-Man

"It's not a Doll..." (me in 1977)
    I was always an Action-Man Fan as a child, even before I had a Mego (or knew what they were called)
    I had about 20 Action-Man FIGURES.
    I had the hard handed versions, ones with beards, one with rubber hands, Eagle Eyes,
    Bullet man and my fave Space Ranger.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmvtSmXkw0
    youtube video Action-Man

So did you have a fav ?
    G.I. Joe the original
    Action-Man the innovator
    Was there even a difference.

"I've just bought a house. It's got a Buck Rogers Toilet. One yank, all gone!"
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I pretty much prefer G.I. Joe although I liked the packaging on some of the Action Man pieces way better.

My reasoning is that I really prefer mid seventies Joe's kind of quasi military/ Sci Fi look as opposed to the strictly military theme of AM. For instance, Capture Copter in the US is black and kind of futuristic, the UK version is Green and no nonsense.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I'm a Gi Joe guy,I just never really liked the AM stuff to much and I can't stand the eagle eyes figures
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

I have collected both. The coolest thing about AM as a yank was how reallistic the uniforms were even after Joe went to adventure team (for those who don't know palitoy made action man until the LATE 70's well after hasbro killed 12" and superjoe)
        Toys2cool remember eagle eye was on both sides of the pond. Today you might see alot more eagle eye action men becuase they had an entirely different construction than the rest of the world's later bodies (action men didn't disentrgrate the way US ones did)

my fav is the lifeguards

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

^^ yeah JDS that's true,but I know I just didn't like'em.Don't get me wrong the outfits were amazing,like the Scottish guys,that awesome British Soldier with the tall black hat(sorry can't remember the name)another thing i just hated from the Palitoy figures were the KF grip hands,they looked way to big and turned really yellow and hard

Comment

• Sweep Secondhand
            Museum Super Collector
            • May 18, 2007

I was raised on the G.I. Joe Adventure team and will always hold it dear in my heart but I have to say AM is the hands down better figure. For starters, there late issue muscle body is 100 times better than the US one and does not disintigrate. That is the single most possable vintage body type made anywhere. Action Man not Sci-Fi enough for you? How about the whole Assault series they did (Ground, Artic, Underwater, and best of all Missile)? How about the Space Rangers line? That's as sci-fi as it gets! They even had a Darth Vader like villian named Captain Zargon to fight. The Action Man line took everything that was good about Joe and then improved on it. They took Joe into all types of other areas like the SAS and the Wild West that US kids never got. Toss in a few Cherilea vehicles like the half track with a working missile launcher and searchlight and you have a force to be reckoned with! Joe will always be the original but Action Man was the best.
            - Sweep

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Action Man made a comeback here in the states during the mid 90s. They had a Saturday morning cartoon show w/ live action segments. The action figures looked like a cross between the modern day "classic collection" seriess and Max Steele. I bought a few for one of my kids and a motor boat for myself.

But seeing as how I grew up around cousins and friends who had Adventure Team GIJoes (and I have the classic and modern day ones now), I'll take GIJoe.

I just watched that video and Mike Power looked like a 12 year old w/ an afro!
              Last edited by HardyGirl; Feb 21, '08, 2:13 PM.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

Definitely the Adventure Team for me. That was all I knew of G.I. Joe.

I think the 1964 style figures were off the shelves at that point and I don't recall seeing a G.I. Joe without a fuzz head until Mike Power came along.

I'm sure my older brother had some at one point when he was young because I have a bunch of G.I. Joe accessories that look like they are from the original Joe and not the AT figures that somehow ended up with mine.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by toys2cool
                  ^^ yeah JDS that's true,but I know I just didn't like'em.Don't get me wrong the outfits were amazing,like the Scottish guys,that awesome British Soldier with the tall black hat(sorry can't remember the name)another thing i just hated from the Palitoy figures were the KF grip hands,they looked way to big and turned really yellow and hard
                  Grenadier Guards

The yellow hands are most common on the "pink bodies" which were the later classic body style palitoys (basically its a KFG hand on he standard hand wrist) Pinkies aer a little smaller than early AM or hasbro bodies (early 70's production). The muscle bodies KF hands are really well made and often wer pliable even in the late 90's whena most hasbro hands were starting to shrink

Comment

• jds1911a1
                    • Aug 8, 2007

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                    Action Man made a comeback here in the states during the mid 90s. They had a Saturday morning cartoon show w/ live action segments. The action figures looked like a cross between the modern day "classic collection" seriess and Max Steele. I bought a few for one of my kids and a motor boat for myself.

But seeing as how I grew up around cousins and friends who had Adventure Team GIJoes (and I have the classic and modern day ones now), I'll take GIJoe.

I just watched that video and Mike Power looked like a 12 year old w/ an afro!
                    Yes an "interesting" show. my brother actually has one of the SKULLMAN outfits from the live action segments - he wore it to the Joecon this year

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 10, 2007

I only discovered the origonal GI-Joe and AM in 1991 when I started into collecting action figures. I do like AM and I wanted to get the 40th anneversery sets when they came out, but it was just another thing to collect and I had to draw a line some where.

I only knew of the Adventure Team growing up and all I had was The Land Adventurer, Seismograph, The Brown tracked ATV with boat and big snake,and the Avenger Pursuit Craft, and The Super Joe Commander.

Lynn

Comment

• toys2cool
                        Ultimate Mego Warrior
                        • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by jds1911a1
                        Grenadier Guards

The yellow hands are most common on the "pink bodies" which were the later classic body style palitoys (basically its a KFG hand on he standard hand wrist) Pinkies aer a little smaller than early AM or hasbro bodies (early 70's production). The muscle bodies KF hands are really well made and often wer pliable even in the late 90's whena most hasbro hands were starting to shrink
                        Good stuff bro,you know your AM stuff yeah I remember them having real pink bodies with silver rivets

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I'll give Action Man props for having all of those cool German figures and outfits.

Comment

• Action Martin
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 30, 2007

I was a G.I. Joe Adventure Team kid. I never even heard of Action Man 'til I saw the Action Man as Sean Connery/James Bond from "Thunderball" action figure in the late 90s. As I have now returned to the AT, I have dabbled in some of the reproduction/replica Action Man figures. I have to say the AM boxes look cool. And all of those uniform accessory sets are fantastic. I don't care for the AM Mike Power the Atomic Man. That flocked hair looks weird on him.
                            Scott

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

"Only G.I. Joe is G.I. Joe"

I do have a boxed Action Man Bulletman though.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎