Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike77
    • Mar 7, 2009

Dick Grayson Romani descent?

I recently have gotten back into the comic book scene after a long hiatus. Dick Grayson is my favorite character. I have read that he is of Romani / Gypsy descent. Was this always true? or was he retconned? I always thought when Bob Kane created him he was white. (Also, every actor to ever play him on the big or little screen has been Caucasian). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • sauce
    Removed
    • Jun 24, 2007

Are you really a human?

You keep asking the same question over and over again for months!

Maybe you're my mother-in-law?

Comment

• Mike77
      • Mar 7, 2009

Originally posted by saucerful
      Are you really a human?

You keep asking the same question over and over again for months!

Maybe you're my mother-in-law?
      Let me give you a little bit of friendly advice. When you show a little bit of class and kindness it goes a long way. When you act rude and classless you will receive the same. Don't respond if you do not have an intelligent answer.

Comment

• sauce
        Removed
        • Jun 24, 2007

Teach by modeling.

My post was full of class and hardly rude. Try reading it again with a smirk on your face.

And seriously, why have you begun more than one discussion thread with the same question?

Oh, and one last thing, if you have been around long enough, you'll see that replying hardly necessitates intelligence as a prerequisite.
        Last edited by sauce; Aug 7, '13, 8:37 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I think there are probably quite a few good websites out there on Nightwing that can give you the information you want. But the basic gist of it is, yes, Dick was retconned into being of Romani/Gypsy descent by writer Devin Grayson (no relation), during her stint writing the various Batman titles, including Nightwing, and even The Titans, of which Dick was a member.

As created, Dick seemed to be just a generic white kid, but modern writers like to give characters more depth and backstory, so Grayson embellished things. I think (this is just off the top of my head) she even retconned Dick's father's real (non-stage) name into Gionvanni, instead of just "John". Dick's middle name was also established as John, I believe by Grayson.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Mike77
            • Mar 7, 2009

Teach by modeling.

My post was full of class and hardly rude. Try reading it again with a smirk on your face.

And seriously, why have you begun more than one discussion thread with the same question?

Oh, and one last thing, if you have been around long enough, you'll see that replying hardly necessitates intelligence as a prerequisite.
            Maybe you should try and read your comments again. Insulting someone by asking if they're human or they're your mother in law is full of "class" ? Those comments may be a part of your colloquial vocabulary but definately not part of mine. Maybe you should practice what you preach by, as you so eloquently put it, "teach by modeling"

Comment

• sauce
              Removed
              • Jun 24, 2007

Point taken.

Now, why do you ask this question about Dick again?

Comment

• Mike77
                • Mar 7, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                I think there are probably quite a few good websites out there on Nightwing that can give you the information you want. But the basic gist of it is, yes, Dick was retconned into being of Romani/Gypsy descent by writer Devin Grayson (no relation), during her stint writing the various Batman titles, including Nightwing, and even The Titans, of which Dick was a member.

As created, Dick seemed to be just a generic white kid, but modern writers like to give characters more depth and backstory, so Grayson embellished things. I think (this is just off the top of my head) she even retconned Dick's father's real (non-stage) name into Gionvanni, instead of just "John". Dick's middle name was also established as John, I believe by Grayson.

Chris
                Thanks for the feedback Chris.

Comment

• Mike77
                  • Mar 7, 2009

Point taken.

Now, why do you ask this question about Dick again?
                  Just curious my friend. Its like finding out a secret about someone you've thought you've known for years. I've been to numerous websites; some say Caucasian, some say Roma. I'm just not sure which is fan fiction and which is official. I thought maybe someone on this board would have seen or heard from an actual DC writer what the answer, but don't worry, I will not start another thread on this matter so you'll be able to rest easier tonight

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Last time I checked Gypsies were Caucasian

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Unless your Klinger from M*A*S*H. Wasn't he a Lebanese Gypsy?

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>Last time I checked Gypsies were Caucasian

Depends on where they're from, if they're true Rom or not, and who you ask. "Gypsy" is a generic, simplified term (kinda like "caucasian") and doesn't have too much probitive value. If he's Romanian (which is what most folks think of when they think "gypsy") then yeah, he's probably a white guy. ("Probably" because in any sampling of humanity you're gonna get significant amounts of ethnic drift.) But a European white guy, which most folks consider a slightly different phenotype than a N. American or British white guy.

Until they reveal he's actually a long lost Thanagarian prince, or escaped from the Vega system, or was adopted by his Earth parents when a magic troll took him from his home dimension to escape his evil uncle....

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎