Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Action needs to get it together...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

This may be common knowledge but both the CA guys freely answer questions and address concerns (much like EMCE, BBP, ZICA do here) at this Captain Action group.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mego MkIV
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 9, 2013

Even if they re-submit these sets I think the damage is done,I just don't have faith in the line going foward.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
        This may be common knowledge but both the CA guys freely answer questions and address concerns (much like EMCE, BBP, ZICA do here) at this Captain Action group.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/captainaction/
        That's my Captain Action group and yes Ed and Joe post on there very often. Feel free to join the group and ask your questions! It's a restricted list(meaning I have to approve you to join), but I only do that to keep the spammers out of the fold.

I don't think anyone is happy about the delays, especially them. Retail is a rocky place and they went back to the drawing board a little to shave the prices down on the costumes and even the figure, even though I felt the price points were pretty good.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/captainaction/
          Thanks Brian. I appreciate that. I think what has personally frustrated me is their dodgy approach to answering inquiries on their Facebook page, where they post articles about vintage comics and toys almost daily. There's this 500 pound elephant in the room and they're posting everything but the kitchen sink, so they don't have to talk about it. It reminds me of that scene in Tucker where Jeff Bridges is standing in front of the curtain preparing the crowd for the big reveal for the Tucker car. But the mechanics are in back trying to patch everything wrong with the prototype. So Bridges brings out the clay model, then the dancers, then introduces his family. Finally the crowd starts booing at the obvious delay tactics on display. That's where Round 2 is at with the Captain Action line. They need to offer some REAL release dates that will actually come to pass and quit making distracting gestures that only serve to frustrate those who've been waiting on broken promises. Not a good way to build consumer confidence.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by drquest
            Retail is a rocky place and they went back to the drawing board a little to shave the prices down on the costumes and even the figure, even though I felt the price points were pretty good.
            Didn't bat an eye at the suits personally but I found the doll pretty pricey.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

That's my Captain Action group and yes Ed and Joe post on there very often. Feel free to join the group and ask your questions! It's a restricted list(meaning I have to approve you to join), but I only do that to keep the spammers out of the fold.

I don't think anyone is happy about the delays, especially them. Retail is a rocky place and they went back to the drawing board a little to shave the prices down on the costumes and even the figure, even though I felt the price points were pretty good.
              I think shaving down the price points on the stand alone Captain is a good move. Because, at the end of the day, he only serves as a host for the costumes. And people have no incentive to buy him at $30.00 a pop if those outfits will seat on other figures for much less. Plus you have to keep in mind the original concept was for kids to buy the one figure and then just change him out with each costume. Collectors may wish to put all of them on display, which means a low-end version would service that market and allow R2 to keep the figure viable at a better price point. You have to be versatile in price points to accommodate customer needs, if the end result sells your product.
              Last edited by MIB41; Jul 10, '13, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
                I think shaving down the price points on the stand alone Captain is a good move. Because, at the end of the day, he only serves as a host for the costumes. And people have no incentive to buy him at $30.00 a pop if those outfits will seat on other figures for much less. Plus you have to keep in mind the original concept was for kids to buy the one figure and then just change him out with each costume. Collectors may wish to put all of them on display, which means a low-end version would service that market and allow R2 to keep the figure viable at a better price point. You have to be versatile in price points to accommodate customer needs, if the end result sells your product.
                I'm completely on board with that. We suggested even a direct mail order for the figures at $12-$15 and bypass retail for people wanting just to get the figures.

Personally I feel Captain Action can stand on his own if they can bring out better costumes for Captain Action that doesn't change his identity. They could do adventure packs, jet pack, space set etc, and kids could play with C/A on his own battling Dr. Evil and such. The basic jumpsuit doesn't offer much play value to kids unfortunately. The collectors will still migrate to the Marvel and DC offers, but the Captain could stand on his own as well.
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I'm not so sure. One reason the line failed at Playing Mantis because the costumes lacked recognition with modern audiences...which is nearly the same as the Captain standing on his own. I know there are fans of just CA himself (I like both sides of the concept myself), but I'm not sure he can survive without that "hook" of some big-name, currently relevant characters.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    ^I'm not so sure. One reason the line failed at Playing Mantis because the costumes lacked recognition with modern audiences...which is nearly the same as the Captain standing on his own. I know there are fans of just CA himself (I like both sides of the concept myself), but I'm not sure he can survive without that "hook" of some big-name, currently relevant characters.

Chris
                    Certainly the reason PM Captain Action line died is the lack of licenses. They had no killer products on the shelves. I don't think C/A could survive on his own completely, but instead of pumping out boxes and boxes of blue stretchy suited Captain Action figures that are only being purchased as mannequins for the costumes, give him an identity and some play value. If Round 2 can put a decent $20 12" figure on the shelves with some play value for kids they should be good. Then the figures will move off the shelves of the retailers and their buyers won't be as concerned putting in the orders for the costumes with no figures.
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

I'm completely on board with that. We suggested even a direct mail order for the figures at $12-$15 and bypass retail for people wanting just to get the figures.

Personally I feel Captain Action can stand on his own if they can bring out better costumes for Captain Action that doesn't change his identity. They could do adventure packs, jet pack, space set etc, and kids could play with C/A on his own battling Dr. Evil and such. The basic jumpsuit doesn't offer much play value to kids unfortunately. The collectors will still migrate to the Marvel and DC offers, but the Captain could stand on his own as well.
                      I think the mail order idea is brilliant. That services the collectors without running interference with developing the stand alone Captain Action character. Good idea. They should listen to that. Ideally I think the Captain could stand on his own. But the inherit risk in that is you have to make more figures to share space with him for that purpose - Lady Action, Boy Action, etc. What I don't know is if there's a sizable enough market to buy up an expansion on that level until they clean up how the Captain works on his own. This year has surely been costly without any real product for sale. That and I have no idea whether Dr. Evil sold well or not. That might give you the answer your looking for with respects to expanding the base line figure. Stand alone adventure packs would be fun (in the GI Joe vein). My only concern there is it might further dilute exactly what the Captain IS for the general consumer. I actually had a TRU associate come up to me and my grandson during the holidays and ask me if I was familiar with how Captain Action worked. Of course I smiled and said, "Better than you could possibly imagine." I asked him why he inquired and he said they had returns on the outfits because people thought they were buying a figure too. So that's symptomatic of a disconnect the product is having with the general consumer. Perhaps some clarification is needed on the front packaging? That and better placement on store shelves. I've seen the costumes and the figures literally in two different places in the same isle. So product display might be something they examine with this next round. Assuming they retain TRU as a store that carries these.

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Just to add, I think Round 2 should ship Captain Action figures and costumes in boxes that convert into display cases similar to how Megos were shipped. The display can show how the otufits go with the Captain. I think the more you keep the figures and outfits together, the better you promote the two for anyone who sees them. The display case could really promote the brand while educating the general consumer. Just an idea.

Comment

• Mego MkIV
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 9, 2013

Your group is cool DrQuest I signed up while checking it out.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Mego MkIV
                            Your group is cool DrQuest I signed up while checking it out.
                            Welcome aboard!

There's really some good guys on there!
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

I have another suggestion to go along with the mail order idea...they could save themselves a TON of money by selling the CA figure nude for those who just need a body for another costume. I've already tossed four extra CA suits in the trash.
                              Why pay for suits you're not even going to use?

Comment

• drquest
                                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                I have another suggestion to go along with the mail order idea...they could save themselves a TON of money by selling the CA figure nude for those who just need a body for another costume. I've already tossed four extra CA suits in the trash.
                                Why pay for suits you're not even going to use?
                                The group had suggested mail order C/A figures that were either nude or came with shorts on. At retail that wouldn't probably work, but as a direct order it would.
                                Danny(Drquest)
                                Captain Action HQ
                                Retro shirts and stuff
                                More retro shirts
                                Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡