Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain Action needs to get it together...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Captain Action needs to get it together...

I was all excited when I saw an "Action Update" in my inbox this morning, but that changed very quickly.
    Boy these guys know how to hype up a lot of nothing.

They showed off a mediocre looking comic book, teased a crappy anime inspired cartoon series which I highly doubt will ever happen and the usual crap merchandise...mugs, sweatshirts, blah, blah, blah.

What they really need to do is forget about all that other garbage and put that time, energy, and resources into some TOYS, you know, ACTUAL PRODUCT?

I see this line tanking harder than the last line did if they don't get their act together soon. They keep promising a lot, and delivering NOTHING.
  • Red Hulk
    Career Member
    • Dec 19, 2012

I agree I'd rather they concentrate on the action figure line than all this other stuff.I get the comic book but the anime cartoon and the rest I just have no real interest in at all.The line started off great but losing the Red Skull set and the indefinite hold on the Rocketeer set has hurt the line.
    Last edited by Red Hulk; Jul 6, '13, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Well said Dwayne. They're doing EXACTLY what they did as Playing Mantis. Same big marketing, big prices, and big ideas. But ultimately their running right back into the same BIG delays which were the same BIG consumer killer that did in the line before. And just like before, they're also changing the price points and packaging after that initial impression has been made. Missing the Iron Man 3 release was a huge marketing blunder for them. Even worse, they've changed the release date about five times since then, indicating they don't have their house in order. 2013 has been a disastrous year for Round 2. Here we are in July and all the scheduled product original marketed to be on shelves right now is nonexistent. And all the saturated product left warming shelves at TRU stores from Christmas has been deeply discounted and is about all gone. Perhaps their poor seasonal sales impacted their deal with TRU and pre-orders are too low for the next installment? Speaking of pre-orders, there are no such listings on Entertainment Earth anymore. And all the other sites that still have them, show months ranging from July (which the company has already said won't happen) to October. Personally I think they've had to scrub whatever their original business plan was and are scrambling to find a way to keep the Captain Action product afloat. They haven't even shown a single production piece for this next costume line, which tells me this offering is likely dead.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^Yep. I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening. No word either about why the second batch of CA figures have greying heads. My Arctic CA's head has turned full zombie grey after only six months on the shelf.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
          ^Yep. I'm afraid that's exactly what's happening. No word either about why the second batch of CA figures have greying heads. My Arctic CA's head has turned full zombie grey after only six months on the shelf.
          Really?!!! Wow...Sounds like they have factory problems to add to their list. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to watch that on mine. I didn't know that could happen to plastic heads. Interesting.

Comment

• jayraytee
            Career Member
            • May 27, 2011

The update full of mugs and other junk is probably a sign they are needing cash.
            My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

What are the comics like? I was really turned off by the comic that came with Dr. Evil. It was violent, filled with sexual innuendo, and just seemed at odds with what should be a kid friendly homage to simpler times.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                What are the comics like? I was really turned off by the comic that came with Dr. Evil. It was violent, filled with sexual innuendo, and just seemed at odds with what should be a kid friendly homage to simpler times.
                I don't know...they said they focus on CA's early career...almost an origin story? They looked very bland, and if they're anything like the last comics, which as you pointed out, were way too adult for my liking, I'm not interested.
                I could not get over the first CA comic they put out. It featured boozing, sex, nudity, ultra violence, gore, and that was the first few pages. I couldn't believe it. No way kids could read it.

Comment

• Mego MkIV
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 9, 2013

Wow I've never seen the comic but I would agree its not for kids.Has anyone been able to complete the Hawkeye costume from the 1st run?

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

Can't complete the Hawkeye costume. The mask has not been released.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by rche
                      Yeah, we still need the non-existent Iron Man and Wolverine sets. Still, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope they have some actual product to show at SDCC.

Comment

• Mego MkIV
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 9, 2013

Originally posted by rche
                        Thanks that answers my question I thought maybe they moved the mask to the Wolverine or Iron Man set.I was looking foward to the upcoming DC sets but with all the issuses Round 2 is having it doesn't sound good for the line as a whole.

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

That's a shame. I was into the Playing Mantis series but didn't buy into this line. I was really hoping they were going to do retro packaging.
                          If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 15, 2010

I got some of the new Captain Action figure and costumes and what I don't like are the hero hands/gloves and how they very poorly attach (or lack thereof) to the figure. A terribly design flaw, IMO.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Round 2 said on their Facebook page that Wolverine and Iron Man costume sets are not "dead". They will "re-solicit" them in the August PREVIEWS magazine. One can only imagine what the 6th revised release date will be. Don't hold your breath.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎