X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickD
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 31, 2011

Loved the movie.

My only critique of the movie (and it was mentioned earlier) was the major destruction during Superman and General Zod's fight scene. It was over the top and Superman would have broke his 'No Kill' Rule just by this alone. Hundreds would have lost their lives in this sequence.

Superman would have taken the fight with Zod out of the city.

Overall Fantastic movie! I love the DC is back

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by palitoy
      anybody else think the Polar Bear was an inside joke?
      Absolutely.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by 80stoyman
        Loved the movie.

My only critique of the movie (and it was mentioned earlier) was the major destruction during Superman and General Zod's fight scene. It was over the top and Superman would have broke his 'No Kill' Rule just by this alone. Hundreds would have lost their lives in this sequence.

Superman would have taken the fight with Zod out of the city.

Overall Fantastic movie! I love the DC is back
        Perhaps this is WHY he develops the No-Kill rule. Him killing Zod was absolutely necessary. There was no other way to stop him. Plus, that is what he did in the comics.
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

... Anyone that See's this Movie ...
          And that Doesn't like it....
          Has no Buisness watching Movies.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Was the Polar Bear a reference to the aborted Peters/Guber/Burton Kevin Smith script? Jon Peters is still listed as a producer!

chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Originally posted by BlackKnight
              ... Anyone that See's this Movie ...
              And that Doesn't like it....
              Has no Buisness watching Movies.
              Speak for yourself. It was a decent action movie at best. It beared little resemblance to the Superman I grew up loving. I scored it a 6/10 at best. Do I think it'll be successful? Damn right it will because society in 2013 would rather see a dark, serious Superman than a goody-too-shoes bumbling Clark Kent that is a core part of the Superman history.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Speak for yourself. It was a decent action movie at best. It beared little resemblance to the Superman I grew up loving. I scored it a 6/10 at best. Do I think it'll be successful? Damn right it will because society in 2013 would rather see a dark, serious Superman than a goody-too-shoes bumbling Clark Kent that is a core part of the Superman history.
                I think both interpretations are valid. The Reeve movies didn't try to remake the George Reeves TV series and changed the tone to a more adult approach, and now this film has done the same.

Bryan Singer tried to recapture the vibe of the Reeve movies, and even he darkened it, and made it more somber. I think a new approach was worth trying, just as Adam West, Michael Keaton and Christian Bale all played in varied, and successful versions of Batman.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

Ofcourse ...., theres Always 1.
                  .... Thats Why ..., I'll stay out of Any of these Threads Further.
                  No Point, and Far to Busy.
                  Last edited by BlackKnight; Jun 16, '13, 8:27 PM.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

There's room for a lot of different interpretations of Superman. Bryan Singer made that point when publicizing Superman Returns, and while I prefer the Superman I have in my own mind's eye, he was right. But I also realize how disappointing it is when a major interpretation of the character doesn't really measure up to what we'd most like to see or what we perceive as the core of the character.

In MOS, the film doesn't really show Clark Kent as the secret identity of Superman until the closing scenes of the film and then not enough to know how he's actually going to be portrayed in a sequel.

In a majority of the comics, Clark was mild mannered, always getting ill and seemingly undependable to the other staff members of the Daily Planet, but I'd argue, at least from my viewpoint, he wasn't really goofy or bumbling as he portrayed in the previous films. He also was generally portrayed as an excellent journalist. That's why I never really cared for for the bumbling, goofy Clark Kent as portrayed by Reeve and Routh. But, I really enjoyed the majority of the first three Superman movies even some places where they strayed from the comics, yeah even III. Now, I won't claim III's a great movie, but I enjoyed it back in the day.

In the "Adventures of Superman" TV show, Reeves' Kent was the most competent person on the Daily Planet staff. Clark's abilities were almost as important to the show as Superman's. Reeves' Kent is my favorite portrayal of the character. I even liked Dean Cain's Kent and the chemistry between Teri Hatcher's Lois and the scenes with Ma and Pa Kent. He may have been a little too emo for me but he wasn't goofy or bumbling.

I liked a lot of Smallville, but in it, Clark was not a secret identity, although his powers were a secret. In the early seasons, the show deftly used Kryptonite to make Clark awkward and sickly at times, but it became a crutch, got old and they moved away from it.

In the next movie, the film-makers may have Clark tripping over his own feet, getting caught in elevators, falling over Niagara Falls and into fire places and dodging cream pies and paint buckets, but I hope not.

I question the neck-snapping and Superman's lack of regard for the amount of mayhem and destruction and death his super-powered throwdowns with PZ villains caused. But, I believe I understand what is being set up and I think the explanation revolves around the fact that this Superman is very new to actually using and fighting with his powers.

One could even question whether he meant to actually kill Zod or did he snap his neck in an effort to just turn Zod's head and divert his eye beams away from that family.

If his killing of Zod is used in the sequel to have him forge a no-killing code or determine he will do whatever he can to avoid killing and do a better job of protecting humans, then I'll really enjoy seeing that growth. If it's not addressed, then it will probably nag at me.

But, on the whole, I was really pleased with the movie and I freely admit it might just be from the geek-high of seeing the film recently, but it's probably my favorite super hero film, supplanting Avengers, Superman: The Movie, The Dark Knight and Iron Man.
                    Last edited by madmarva; Jun 16, '13, 8:32 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

I welcome all versions of Superman (except Smallville, don't get me started), I love Supes in any incarnation, bright and fun, comical and campy, all the way to baddarse, brooding, dark, and just plain gangsta, I don't care, it's all good in Hector's house, Superman rules, period, lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

• johnmiic
                        Adrift
                        • Sep 6, 2002

Anone interested in hearing what John Byrne thinks, and perhaps other comic book insiders, can check out his own web site. Reviews and spoilers abound tho starting on page 27. I'm off from work tomorrow and may go see it 1st showing-discount matinee:

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Enjoyed the film, could have used some explosions though....
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Enjoyed the film, could have used some explosions though....
                            sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              Anone interested in hearing what John Byrne thinks, and perhaps other comic book insiders, can check out his own web site. Reviews and spoilers abound tho starting on page 27. I'm off from work tomorrow and may go see it 1st showing-discount matinee:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/f...81&PN=1&TPN=27
                              Bryne is another crank, who also believes he created the end all be all Superman.....He can't get past Superman the movie...this is the same guy who would cry then quit a book as soon as they criticize him for anything....

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Agreed ^^^^^^

All these Superman artists and writers benefited from a character not created by them, who cares what they think about Superman movies, it's out of their jurisdiction and outta their league.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎