Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

My God, this was just so incredible to watch, was it me or when he first was flying did you hear the wind kinda swoosh like the TV superman........Everything about this was Spectacular!!! I want to go back and see it again......

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

Yes they definitely used the tv sound. I loved that.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

Totally forgot the feed. Sorry about the...

SPOILERS!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

I keep seeing reviews where they say Humorless Superman, but I'm trying to remember when was Superman suppose to be
          a Marx brothers movie?......The new movie had moments where i laughed out loud especially when he was cuffed, but why are so many people looking for Humor?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Maybe these folks REALLY liked Superman III. Oh wait, that wasn't funny either.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

SPOILERS

Originally posted by hedrap
              I think the problem with killing Zod, is Supes is oblivious to the devastation building up to that moment.

And that is the exact opposite of Superman 2.

Hugely important moment in all Superman canon, as it succinctly shows Superman sees himself as the responsible protector.

Maybe they're going to tackle this in the sequel. If they think about it, the devastation is prime motivation for Luthor to want to get rid of the guy.
              Yes, that's exactly what I was pointing too in my other post. The recent take on Luthor is that he truly sees Superman as a threat to human kind or rationalizes his hate for him in that manner. He's an anti-Zod. Instead of destroy the humans for the sake of Krypton, it's destroy the Kryptonians for the sake of Earth, and after this movie, Luthor would have a point.

While there are a few nods to the Donner and Lester films, I think they made opposite choices not just to distance them but in an attempt to make it interesting.

If a sequel does not address Superman's lack of care for collateral damage, I would kind of agree with Mark Waid's assessment, but again, I think Goyer/Snyder/Nolan made a choice that they could exploit in later installments.

Totally different note, love that Clark sported Royals and Kansas Jayhawk gear like a young man from that neck of the woods might. Small bit, but it meant something to me.

I forget what they were calling it, but the little key with the emblem they were using reminded me a bit of the eradicator from the comics in the 1990s.

I read where the estimate was $21 million for the Thursday take. Some were making a big deal out of the 7 p.m. Wal Mart showing and how that should have earned more than a 12 p.m. showing. To me, it's the same audience. If you see the film at 7 are you going to turn right around and watch it at midnight on a week night?
              Last edited by madmarva; Jun 14, '13, 3:07 PM.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                Superman's Pal
                • Jun 17, 2005

I really want to see it again.

(SPOILERS FOLLOW)

I absolutely LOVED the portrayal of Krypton in this film. It's futuristic without being cold, and alien without being completely inhuman. The scenes with Jor-El riding that flying beast were a revelation to me. My fanboy wish now is a Krypton prequel starring Crowe and Shannon.

There were a few parts that were slow, I thought. The Superman finding himself part just seemed a little boring to me. Not bad, but I just wonder how cutting maybe fifteen minutes from the movie might have worked (that whole scene with him working at the restaurant/bar and the guy picking on him could have gone; I guess it was a callback to Superman II's diner scene).

Did anyone else who plays video games get a Mass Effect vibe from the Kryptonian armor?

Faora was freaking awesome. I could watch an entire movie of her fighting people at super-speed.

The final fight with Zod was amazing, too. It's exactly what I wanted out of a Superman movie since seeing the Smith vs. Neo fights in the Matrix sequels. One thing I didn't really care for was the wanton destruction of Smallville and Metropolis. How many thousands of people died in those fights? It just seemed cartoony and excessive... that kind of violence needs to have repercussions; otherwise, it just seems fake.

Those are really nitpicks, though. I'm very excited at the prospect of sequels. A lot of people are going to hate the ending (which I don't want to talk about for fear of someone accidentally reading it), but I think it sets up character development for future sequels.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  Maybe these folks REALLY liked Superman III. Oh wait, that wasn't funny either.

Chris
                  LMAO!!!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                    OH JES!!
                    • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                    I really want to see it again.

(SPOILERS FOLLOW)

I absolutely LOVED the portrayal of Krypton in this film. It's futuristic without being cold, and alien without being completely inhuman. The scenes with Jor-El riding that flying beast were a revelation to me. My fanboy wish now is a Krypton prequel starring Crowe and Shannon.

There were a few parts that were slow, I thought. The Superman finding himself part just seemed a little boring to me. Not bad, but I just wonder how cutting maybe fifteen minutes from the movie might have worked (that whole scene with him working at the restaurant/bar and the guy picking on him could have gone; I guess it was a callback to Superman II's diner scene).

Did anyone else who plays video games get a Mass Effect vibe from the Kryptonian armor?

Faora was freaking awesome. I could watch an entire movie of her fighting people at super-speed.

The final fight with Zod was amazing, too. It's exactly what I wanted out of a Superman movie since seeing the Smith vs. Neo fights in the Matrix sequels. One thing I didn't really care for was the wanton destruction of Smallville and Metropolis. How many thousands of people died in those fights? It just seemed cartoony and excessive... that kind of violence needs to have repercussions; otherwise, it just seems fake.

Those are really nitpicks, though. I'm very excited at the prospect of sequels. A lot of people are going to hate the ending (which I don't want to talk about for fear of someone accidentally reading it), but I think it sets up character development for future sequels.
                    Yes exactly!!! that's pretty much sums it up. I loved the that Jor-El held his own, seriously seeing Jor-El fight was fantastic.....

Just one note....I know people have their Opinions about whether Superman should kill or not.....but I'm one that always believed that even Superman facing a foe who would kill a whole race without thought, would force Superman to do the obvious...I knew he was going to kill him when he called Zod a monster....soon as he put him in the choke hold I said he's going to break his neck......but the remorse he had afterwards...was spot on....

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I personally think you needed those scenes to understand how much Clark must keep himself in check. And they also made us feel the character. When he got to cut lose on Zod he was beating the crud out of every bully who ever picked on him or anyone else.

Yeah, it's similar to The Avengers in that respect. And we did see some repercussions from that in Iron Man 3. I think the wanton destruction will indeed lead to a more motivated, and sympathetic Lex, which will make him that much more challenging, much like this Zod was.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
                        Superman's Pal
                        • Jun 17, 2005

While I'm kind of tired of the movie Lex, I wouldn't mind seeing him as a "villain" if they present him as you describe... someone who is motivated by protecting humanity from aliens and sees himself as a hero instead of someone who is motivated by cheap real estate schemes for personal gain.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS

I honestly think Xenophobe Lex is the best interpretation of the character. It's an angle that really makes him work beyond Mad Scientist or Evil Billionaire.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Well, it's time for the Marvel guy to chime in! Christopher Reeve has been replaced as the ultimate Superman in my eyes. I freaking LOVED this movie. Was moved to tears more than once during the whole thing.
                            This movie was as close to perfect as I believe a movie can be. It's a four way tie for me between this, Dark Knight, Avengers, and Amazing Spider-Man.
                            This movie took the IDEA of Superman and brought it to a new place...It's like they took the depth of characterization Marvel is known for and applied it to a DC character. Kudos also to Michael Shannon. His General Zod would leave Terence Stamp shaking in his thigh high disco boots.
                            Hector's gonna wet himself!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

SPOILERS

The movie's not even a day old, and already we know of a deleted scene that was filmed, and one from the script, thanks to David Goyer:

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                                Talkative Member
                                • Jul 7, 2007

I understand why it didn't make the film, but I would have loved to have seen "super baby."

The real estate scheme Luthor has never seemed like Luthor to me either, Steve. While I admire the majority of Gene Hackman's work, Those scripts didn't serve Luthor well as as a character.

I hope they do fast track a sequel and get it out for summer or Christmas 2015. I don't see how Warners could get a DC film out for 2014, unless something has really been brewing behind the scenes or its a truly grounded project.
                                Last edited by madmarva; Jun 14, '13, 5:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎