X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaBillmann
    Museum Patron
    • Jun 16, 2011

Does anybody else feel old?

I loved my megos. I am so completely stoked, jazzed, excited, etc that they are releasing these Mego Batman figures, as Batman is my absolute favorite. I am hoping they will eventually do vehicles and playsets too. (Groan, my poor budget)

Buuuuut, I sent a link to an ad for the first wave to an online friend of mine who is in her mid twenties. (I am 47) and you want to knwo what she said to me?

"Wow, pretty cool. They remind me of the figures on Robot Chicken."

she had never HEARD of megos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am old. So old!
  • powersthatbe
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 27, 2010

eh,i'm 44 in august.but you know what?all the characters we wanted when we were kids in the 70s.has pretty much been made into toy form one way or another.for instance.i'm thrilled to have the lost in space robot and jupiter 2,ultraman figures and many versions of the mach five,etc.and all these remegos are the cream of the crop

Comment

• Saroyan
      Persistent Member
      • Oct 4, 2011

It happens to the best of us!

It can be frustrating when I reference something from the 70s or 80s and get a blank look from someone too young to know the reference- but what're you gonna do? Just roll with it and know that our age and experience put us in the era with some of the best toys EVER!

But, if it makes you feel any better, next time that happens, curse the ignoramous with:

"One day you will be OLD and YOU will reference something from YOUR youth to a younger person who will then give YOU the same look and eye roll you just gave ME!"

That will get 'em!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

Kids watching a 70s movie and saying "why didn't he use his cell phone?!"
        That makes me feel old....

Or a year or two back, that girl complaining that Lon Chaney's Wolfman was a rip-off from Twilight.
        That just makes her look stupid, true...

They had 15-16 year old kids in the UK answer some history questions. 25% thought that Hitler was a soccer player. Yeah, that man sure knew how to score...
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I don't think of it as getting old; I think of it as getting closer to death.

Don C.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

What makes me feel old is walking into a comicbook store that I visited frequently in my teens (I'm 48 now) and seeing used LP's priced the same as when they were new back then. Now if THAT doesn't knock you on the head nothing will.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
              Kids watching a 70s movie and saying "why didn't he use his cell phone?!"
              That makes me feel old....
              I know, I really hate that. But what I hate worse is that the parents of these kids obviously don't talk to them about when they were kids, and sharing the history. As a child, I knew there was no such thing as TV when my mom was a kid, and that they had to use an "icebox" instead of a fridge. My mom actually talked to me, and I loved hearing about her life back then.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Jason73
                Correctamundo!
                • Jan 11, 2009

When I turned 12 I was worried that I was getting too old to collect action figures. Within a year I stoppped until I turned about 22. Then I picked right back up.

This summer I'll be turning 40. I have a smilar feeling to when I turned 12. Am I once again too old to collect figures? Not sure why I'm feeling this way, but I'm hoping it will pass, becuase I don't want to take 10 years off again.
                Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Saroyan
                  Persistent Member
                  • Oct 4, 2011

Jason73- if the feeling doesn't pass, pack up your toys and put them in storage for at least a year maybe 2- it will be much cheaper in the long run to pay for a storage unit than to try to re-buy all the toys you got rid of while you weren't feeling it!

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by ctc
                    Hmmmm....

Don C.
                    Hahahahaha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• DaBillmann
                      Museum Patron
                      • Jun 16, 2011

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                      I know, I really hate that. But what I hate worse is that the parents of these kids obviously don't talk to them about when they were kids, and sharing the history. As a child, I knew there was no such thing as TV when my mom was a kid, and that they had to use an "icebox" instead of a fridge. My mom actually talked to me, and I loved hearing about her life back then.
                      My Dad used to tell me "Yeah, I used ti sit around and say "man, I wish they'd hurry up and invent the television." LOL

Comment

• DaBillmann
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jun 16, 2011

Originally posted by ctc
                        Hmmmm....

Don C.
                        IIIIII think i'd rather think of it as getting old.

Comment

• JediJaida
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 14, 2008

Tell me about it!

When I was a kid, we didn't have all the fancy doo-dads that kids have today.

8 track cartridge tapes.

LP's and turntables.

Transistor radios.

Reel to reel tape recorders.

There were no VCR's or VHS tapes; no way to record your favorite shows except on reel to reel audio tape; what was shown on TV was IT! You had to wait WEEKS to see if your favorite movie was going to be broadcast.

During weekends at Grandma's you had to listen to all of the old stories from when she was a little girl, or when your parents were children, etc. You had to dress nice, sit still, eat what you were given, and generally behave like a little doll or puppet for the entire day.

Kids today, when they go to Grandma's house, they do it in jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, leggings, tank tops, sweats, and shorts; with their hair barely combed and just a layer of deodorant. They eat out of the fridge as they please, and blow off Grandma's stories, saying that they have to call their friends or meet them later on at the mall.
                          JediJaida

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                            Same with my mother. Even to this day I call it the icebox because that's what I heard growing up.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by DaBillmann
                              I loved my megos. I am so completely stoked, jazzed, excited, etc that they are releasing these Mego Batman figures, as Batman is my absolute favorite. I am hoping they will eventually do vehicles and playsets too. (Groan, my poor budget)

Buuuuut, I sent a link to an ad for the first wave to an online friend of mine who is in her mid twenties. (I am 47) and you want to knwo what she said to me?

"Wow, pretty cool. They remind me of the figures on Robot Chicken."

she had never HEARD of megos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am old. So old!
                              It's worse for me to think about that indeed, those ARE the Megos we had as kids on Robot Chicken (or something close to them) and that while the RC guys are making money playing with toys... making money off of audiences that include your mid-twenties friend and millions of others of all ages... while I... currently... am not.

Money/chicks always trumps age issues in my book.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎