Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures Official Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Remco Monster
    GLOWS in the Dark!
    • May 3, 2006

Awesome. Thanks for the update!

Comment

• Jeff Cope
      Museum Patron
      • Jun 11, 2013

Originally posted by ZICA
      I'm hoping to have the prototypes ready by the end of the month.
      Squeeeeeeeeee!

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
        Career Member
        • Jul 30, 2012

Originally posted by David Lee
        So cool Craig! Glad to see this come to fruition!

Let the epic universe "mash ups" begin! Steve versus Alien! Bigfoot vs. Chewbacca! Steve takes Leia for a spin in the Adventure People jeep! Bigfoot in Creature Cantina! oh the possibilities...

But seriously, crongrats bro! you labor of love is gonna be huge... THANKS!

Dave
        Zica red tracksuit Steve Austin putting the moves on Kenner TTP Jamie Sommers, then getting clocked by a jealous TTP Steve Austin. That's one stopmotion video I may produce.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
          Career Member
          • Jul 30, 2012

Just received my figures today. Man, I feel like a kid again. Very impressed by the sculpting and card art. Seeing knee articulation was a pleasant surprise. Reminds me of the Kenner Butch and Sundance figures from 1979. Excellent job, Craig. Hope this line does well enough so we can maybe get a Bionic Woman line somewhere down the road.

Comment

• megonaught
            Career Member
            • Jan 29, 2008

I just got a Steve Austin today.
            OMG he is awesome.
            I am thinking of picking up Bigfoot and Blue suit Steve.
            Action Jackson is his name.
            Bold adventure is his game.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 12, 2004

Just bought a complete M.O.C. set of three on Ebay.

Comment

• Boshek
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 26, 2011

I finally got mine yesterday. You know which one is my favorite? Blue track suit Steve!
                Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• megonaught
                  Career Member
                  • Jan 29, 2008

I only got mine last week.
                  I only bought a red suit Steve and when i got him and showed him to a friend he bought it from me.
                  So i ordered a set.
                  I got those and fell in love.
                  I have another friend who collects smdm and when he gave me a complete Kenner 12in Steve i gave him the red suit Steve
                  From my second set.
                  My third Steve should be arriving today.
                  Funny thing is as i liked smdm and remember one of my fondest Christmas mornings is getting a Steve and a bionic repair station i never got back into these until i got the little figures.
                  Thank You Craig.
                  Now with these and new Megos.
                  Alls i need is for Hasbro to release retro vintage Star Wars.

Originally posted by Boshek
                  I finally got mine yesterday. You know which one is my favorite? Blue track suit Steve!

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                    • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by megonaught
                    I only got mine last week.
                    I only bought a red suit Steve and when i got him and showed him to a friend he bought it from me.
                    So i ordered a set.
                    I got those and fell in love.
                    I have another friend who collects smdm and when he gave me a complete Kenner 12in Steve i gave him the red suit Steve
                    From my second set.
                    My third Steve should be arriving today.
                    Funny thing is as i liked smdm and remember one of my fondest Christmas mornings is getting a Steve and a bionic repair station i never got back into these until i got the little figures.
                    Thank You Craig.
                    Now with these and new Megos.
                    Alls i need is for Hasbro to release retro vintage Star Wars.
                    I had the exact same Christmas morning you did, got Steve and the repair station.

BTW why the blue suit? Did he ever wear that in the series, or is it just a color variation?

Comment

• megonaught
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 29, 2008

He wore the blue track suit in the first episode.
                      I havnt seen it in years but you can see him running in it in the opening credits.

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                      I had the exact same Christmas morning you did, got Steve and the repair station.

BTW why the blue suit? Did he ever wear that in the series, or is it just a color variation?

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by megonaught
                        He wore the blue track suit in the first episode.
                        I havnt seen it in years but you can see him running in it in the opening credits.
                        Awesome! I have the first season on DVD, will have to check it out.

Comment

• Boshek
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 26, 2011

I like the blue one the best because it looks more like something Steve would wear in public and not so much a training outfit.
                          Check out my YouTube page

Comment

• Bionic Chris
                            • May 21, 2014

Originally posted by BionicMatt
                            Just received mine in the mail. They are every bit as cool as I expected. The card art is eye-popping awesome! I'm imagining how cool it would have been to find these in the toy store back in the 70s. Great work, Craig!
                            Originally posted by mego
                            I just placed an order for the bionic Bigfoot. He is just sooooo freaking cool.
                            And that card art! Holy smokes Zica, you guys really hit this one outta the park.
                            Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                            The cards are a beauty, the way toy packaging used to be. Can't wait to see what you come up with next! Extremely well done man! Thanks!!!
                            Originally posted by Aricosaur
                            Finally got mine (mix-up with my preorder, totally my fault). I was going to just get one set and open them but now that I have them I can't bring myself to open them! And I don't have an extra 50 bucks laying around to order a second set! AARRGGH!!

Originally posted by ZICA
                            The artist I use did work for Hasbro/Kenner when they were still located in Cincinnati, OH. He knows a thing or two about cool toy packaging.

Why oh why wasn't the artist from Kenner used again for Wave 2!? I tell you it was the boring photo cards of Wave 2 posted on the retailer sites that hurt presales, along with not mentioning Mr. X Evil Robot will have a removable face mask. Kenner made the Six Million Dollar Man toys with artwork like the above Wave 1 figures, just search eBay for boxed Kenner bionic action figures and you'll see, and I'm sure they would have done the same if they made a line of 3 3/4 inch bionic figures before the Star Wars photo carded figures came out. If Craig would have previewed and released Mr. X Evil Robot with similar artwork, along with Oscar Goldman, and the Seven Million Dollar Man running in his black jogging suit, Wave 2 would have been a hit too. Blame it on "fickle" collectors all you want, should not have cut costs with boring photo cards! Then bring out Wave 3 with Steve in khakis and Fembot with more cool artwork along with Rudy Wells (the Martin E. Brooks version), and would have been another home run...such a shame, a wasted opportunity, and disappointing the line was canceled, didn't have to happen. I hope Zica Toys tries again some day.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by Bionic Chris

Why oh why wasn't the artist from Kenner used again for Wave 2!? I tell you it was the boring photo cards of Wave 2 posted on the retailer sites that hurt presales, along with not mentioning Mr. X Evil Robot will have a removable face mask. Kenner made the Six Million Dollar Man toys with artwork like the above Wave 1 figures, just search eBay for boxed Kenner bionic action figures and you'll see, and I'm sure they would have done the same if they made a line of 3 3/4 inch bionic figures before the Star Wars photo carded figures came out. If Craig would have previewed and released Mr. X Evil Robot with similar artwork, along with Oscar Goldman, and the Seven Million Dollar Man running in his black jogging suit, Wave 2 would have been a hit too. Blame it on "fickle" collectors all you want, should not have cut costs with boring photo cards! Then bring out Wave 3 with Steve in khakis and Fembot with more cool artwork along with Rudy Wells (the Martin E. Brooks version), and would have been another home run...such a shame, a wasted opportunity, and disappointing the line was canceled, didn't have to happen. I hope Zica Toys tries again some day.
                              First, while I loved the artwork on the first wave, I don't think the photo cards are bad, and if money for the artist was an issue I can understand why ZICA went that way. If the Wave 1 cards were a 10, I would put the Wave 2 photo cards at an 8 or 9.

There's a few things that I think hurt this wave's preorders:

1 - No Steve in khakis. Had to have that.

2 - Too many figures. Steve and Oscar were musts. Maskatron was probably as well, but after that I could see the first version of Rudy Wells, and that being it. 5 figures is too much and I don't think a second Rudy or Barney Miller/Heller were going to push this or any wave.

3 - The figures were priced too low. They should have been $15 at least. I think pricing them at $10 didn't impress upon collectors a sense of urgency to pre-order.

4 - Maskatron should have been carded with masks shown and robot face exposed. That change alone would have spiked preorders of that figure. ZICA didn't even reveal that the figure had a removable face till after announcing the line had been cancelled. Big mistake, IMO.

If Wave 2 would have had Steve in Khakis, Oscar, first version of Rudy Wells, and Maskatron with robot face shown and masks, I think pre-orders would have been much stronger. I would have preordered that figure assortment, and at $15 a figure.

Live and learn. I'll still pick up the first wave at some point, they look great. One thing: What really made the original SMDM figures so special was that you could literally roll up the skin on Steve's arm and see the bionics. You could literally look through his 'bionic' eye. Not sure how you recapture that magic in a 3 3/4" format, but ZICA couldn't. Not sure anyone could.

Comment

• TRDouble
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jul 10, 2012

I didn't realize that these have knee joints. The ReAction figures do not. I guess those are closer to the original Kenner figures, but I like the knee joints on these.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎