Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures Official Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZICA
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by bgiles73
    I'll be sure to spread the word when I get my SMDM figures in from Big Bad Toystore! Some of those guys at Rebelscum just can't grasp the concept of 5 POA but I absolutely love the Alien ReAction wave as I know I'll also love The SMDM line. I notice on the trektoy.com forums it seems a lot of the collectors there aren't really aware or receptive of the 8" or 3 3/4" retro lines. I've tried to generate some interest in the Funko announcement about Star Trek Classic being added to the list of ReAction licenses and got another forum member trying to dispute the validity of the announcement! I'd certainly love to see you and David, and Brian@funko dropping in at those other sites too! I honestly think you guys are going to save the hobby by bringing it back to its roots. I can't understand some of these collectors that don't realize that Skylanders and Disney Infinity characters which are unarticulated action figures have pretty much sucked up all the retail dollars which used to go to action figures, playsets and ships.
    Unfortunately, the group of collectors who are going to fully grasp this concept are now in their late 30's and early 40's, and I'm still not sure how big that group is. However, I do think that lines done in the classic Kenner style have a lot of potential to be successful, I just hope the market doesn't get saturated with them.

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
    Craig, will the SMDM figures have peg holes on the feet?
    They most certainly do.

Comment

• Jeff Cope
      Museum Patron
      • Jun 11, 2013

Originally posted by ZICA
      Unfortunately, the group of collectors who are going to fully grasp this concept are now in their late 30's and early 40's
      ...maybe late 40s ;-)

They most certainly do.
      Awesome. Perfect. Thanks.

Comment

• ZICA
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Cope
        ...maybe late 40s ;-)
        I'll be 46 in February, so sure, I'll agree with that.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

This feels like an impending explosion of this style figure. Looking forward to the 6mdm shipping.

Hey Craig, I bet Funko hasn't snagged the license for Creepshow yet. They would make swell figures!

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Hedji
            Hey Craig, I bet Funko hasn't snagged the license for Creepshow yet. They would make swell figures!
            I wouldn't be too sure about that. They seem to be grabbing licenses left and right so it wouldn't surprise me if Creepshow wasn't one of them.

Comment

• Aricosaur
              Museum Super Collector
              • Jul 26, 2013

Unfortunately, the group of collectors who are going to fully grasp this concept are now in their late 30's and early 40's, and I'm still not sure how big that group is. However, I do think that lines done in the classic Kenner style have a lot of potential to be successful, I just hope the market doesn't get saturated with them.
              I'm not so sure of that. If you go by that logic then only guys in their 60s should be buying bobbleheads. Look at the current 5-points lines for Marvel, Star Wars, DC (They're usually more 7-points, but ya'know) made for kids.

Comment

• ZICA
                Persistent Member
                • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by Aricosaur
                I'm not so sure of that. If you go by that logic then only guys in their 60s should be buying bobbleheads. Look at the current 5-points lines for Marvel, Star Wars, DC (They're usually more 7-points, but ya'know) made for kids.
                Based on responses I've seen on other forums there's been a fair amount of people saying they don't get the 5 points of articulation, or the simple detailing or the simple paint applications. If you're a person that likes action figures but can't grasp why this style would be appealing or get the idea, then odds are you're a younger person in your mid 30's or lower.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

There IS a target audience that want these. I have no doubt this line will be a big hit. The younger generation can't even get past texting and Twitter to notice their room on fire. I doubt they 'get' much of anything unless it's abbreviated. Looking forward to my order Craig! Sunny days ahead.

Comment

• bgiles73
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 14, 2010

Never would have thought there would come a day when I'd be complaining about all these young whipper snappers but here it is. In total agreement with Craig and MIB41's comments! Lol Funny thing is, I know my 4 and 7 year old daughters are going to love Funko's Nightmare Before Christmas ReAction figures as much, if not more than me! That multi-articulated NECA Jack Skellington broke just breathing on it. So glad my girls will have some good solid 5 POA action figures that will last through whatever they can dish out!

Comment

• Aricosaur
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jul 26, 2013

Based on responses I've seen on other forums there's been a fair amount of people saying they don't get the 5 points of articulation, or the simple detailing or the simple paint applications. If you're a person that likes action figures but can't grasp why this style would be appealing or get the idea, then odds are you're a younger person in your mid 30's or lower.
                      Being one of the "younger persons," I had always thought of the older collectors being the ones that were obsessed with articulation and 'detail' (like the 1/6 collector figures.). Thinking about it the last couple of days, it's not a generational thing, eschewing toy-like toys, it's an adult-collector thing. Once most any collector gets to teenage-hood and beyond they tend toward more detail in their collectibles. I've always thought of myself as a toy collector and avoided "statue figures" by companies like Neca, McFarlane, Sideshow (the 1/6th figures), and Hot Toys as not real toys. If I want statues I'll get real statues (I love Gentle Giant and I wish I had the money to really collect Sideshow's Premium Format Star Wars.).

As for the comments at other forums, such as Rebelscum, the attitudes on those forums represent the consensus at that forum, not the toy collecting community at large. I've considered joining Rebelscum forum in the past (I use their reference guide often), but was turned off by the Articulation Zealots (we come up with some weird, nerdy terms in toy collecting). I mean, I enjoy a good super-articulated 3 3/4 figure (and I have a lot of them) but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a cool 5-point's figure, new or vintage.

I could go on but I think that's enough for now. Thus endeth my nerdy rant.

Comment

• bgiles73
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 14, 2010

I like super articulated figures too, when done right. I think modern GI Joe is the very best of what there is to be offered in 3 3/4" figures. Some of Star Wars has been hit or miss. Playmates 3 3/4" Star Trek and Terminator Salvation lines are best forgotten. I feel that these figures from Funko and Zica that harken back to the good old days might just bring back some interest to action figures which has really diminished considerably due to the higher production costs. I think it won't be long at all when we will be able to print these 5 points of articulation figures at home on our very own 3D printer! I love to paint and I'm pretty good at it , so I'm actually kind of looking forward to that!

Comment

• starsky
                          veteran member
                          • Aug 26, 2007

i just want the limbs to be tight. most of the time with the super articulate 3.75 inch figures, once they're out of the package they can't seem to hold a pose.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                            GLOWS in the Dark!
                            • May 3, 2006

This wait is KILLING me!!!

Comment

• ZICA
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by TCM Hitchhiker
                              This wait is KILLING me!!!
                              You and me both!