Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Million Dollar Man Action Figures Official Announcement!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by slats7
    Jeez. And I thought the BBP figures were bad. What's the point if you can't tell if Steve is bionic? Unlike the cover art, the prototype doesn't look anything like Majors; it looks like a regular guy in a molded red tracksuit. Again, no bionic limbs to be seen. Bigfoot looks like an exact duplicate of Kenner's design, which is unfortunate because the Kenner version didn't look anything like the TV Bigfoot. There's a reason why Kenner didn't go the Mego route with their action figures: because miniaturization wouldn't do the characters justice. Consider this an opportunity lost.
    Ummm...Kenner created miniaturization with the Star Wars line. You DO get the point that these are supposed to look like 1970's Kenner figures right? Could you see Darth Vader's bionics? How about Jedi Luke's bionic hand? As far as likenesses go, the Bigfoot is great and Steve has more than a passing resemblance to Lee Majors. More so than the vintage Star Wars figures looked like Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Your arguments make zero sense. Please enlighten us as to what you think a proper SMDM figure should be.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

I've been a devout fan since '73, and I know junk when I see it.
      I know a troll when I see one too. You didn't come here to offer an objective critique. You just came here to put everyone down. It's one thing to not like aspects of a line and offer a discussion on those points. But to make a blanket statement in an effort to inflict injury has it's own designs. Craig, Jason and everyone involved in making these figures are outstanding members of this forum. And their contributions deserve better than your juvenile remarks. You put together a figure and finance it yourself and lets see what you come up with. Your comments are classless, thoughtless, and immature.
      Last edited by MIB41; Jul 24, '13, 6:31 AM.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Complaining is commonly accepted as evidenced by many threads on these forums (see Retro Action). However, the original and subsequent posts are more of an attack than much of a critique. We don't have to tolerate caustic threads with ad hominem responses, if you can't debate without insulting members, then you should refrain.

We don't have to agree on every subject but we do have to keep it civil. I think that's a fair and achievable expectation.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• David Lee
          The Fix-it-up Chappie
          • Jun 10, 2002

Comment

• ZICA
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2006

Originally posted by enyawd72
            Ummm...Kenner created miniaturization with the Star Wars line. You DO get the point that these are supposed to look like 1970's Kenner figures right? Could you see Darth Vader's bionics? How about Jedi Luke's bionic hand? As far as likenesses go, the Bigfoot is great and Steve has more than a passing resemblance to Lee Majors. More so than the vintage Star Wars figures looked like Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
            This is exactly what I'm trying to do but surprisingly enough some people just don't get it, or they just want to complain that I didn't design the figures with modern features and aesthetics. The idea, like has already been pointed out, is that the figures need to look like what Kenner might have done back in the 70's when they held the license. This is why the original Kenner large scale figures were used as a reference for the smaller figures. So far the response to the line has been overwhelmingly positive and I think it's going to do very well. The factory is working on the tooling now and and has already sent me some tooling sample images. I'm pretty confident that the figures will be available before the end of the year, possibly in November.

Comment

• torgospizza
              Theocrat of Pan Tang
              • Aug 19, 2010

You DO get the point that these are supposed to look like 1970's Kenner figures right?
              Yeah, I think that's being lost on a few people. They're intended to replicate that look. If they wanted to produce a modern-looking figure with ultra-realistic sculpting, that's what they would have offered us.

EDIT: Posted the same time ZICA did, and essentially echoed his post. Sorry!

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

Vintage Kenner

steve and bigfoot by Plaidstallions, on Flickr

Comment

• Scousebadger
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Vintage Kenner

steve and bigfoot by Plaidstallions, on Flickr
                  I think Kenner's Steve and Bigfoot are sad because Craig's figures are being slated unfairly.

I don't see where the problem is. Craig has set his stall out and offered figures in a certain style for sale. People (including myself) can't wait to buy them.

Not everyone will like them. But the answer is easy: don't buy them. Why complain about a series of figures you have no intention of purchasing?

There are a fair few figures or whole ranges I would never buy in a million years. But I don't go around screaming at the creators because their vision differs to mine. What would be the point? That's not providing an objective critique, it's just insulting Craig and the people who choose to buy into the range.

What's so big and clever about that?

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by zica
                    so far the response to the line has been overwhelmingly positive and i think it's going to do very well. The factory is working on the tooling now and and has already sent me some tooling sample images. I'm pretty confident that the figures will be available before the end of the year, possibly in november.
                    Awesome news!!! There's so many good things for Six Mill right now, it's truly a dream come true! I can't wait to add your line to my collection Craig! It's always quality and it's always part of my favorites. So many of us stand with you my friend!

Comment

• slats7
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Jun 20, 2007

Ummm...Kenner created miniaturization with the Star Wars line. You DO get the point that these are supposed to look like 1970's Kenner figures right?
                      Yes, and I'm saying that's a terrible mistake. Why would adult bionic fans want a smaller, inferior version of what they grew up with?

Could you see Darth Vader's bionics? How about Jedi Luke's bionic hand?
                      Darth's appeal was his costume, and Luke's bionic hand (which didn't show up until the end of TESB) wasn't instrumental to his character. A Steve Austin doll without bionics is like a Jedi without a light saber: pointless.

As far as likenesses go, the Bigfoot is great and Steve has more than a passing resemblance to Lee Majors.
                      Modeling it on Andre the Giant instead of ripping off Kenner would have been preferable. Totally disagree about Majors, and I'm not alone in that respect.

More so than the vintage Star Wars figures looked like Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
                      That's not saying much. I never cared for or collected those figures anyway.

Your arguments make zero sense. Please enlighten us as to what you think a proper SMDM figure should be.
                      Either a tricked out version of the old 12" figures or a realistic looking model like McFarlane does with NFL players or movie monsters. If you don't have the money or resources to do it right, then don't.

Originally posted by MIB41
                      I know a troll when I see one too.
                      More insults.

You didn't come here to offer an objective critique.
                      These toys are objectively bad. Do you think someone's paying me to slam these cheap looking figures?

You just came here to put everyone down. It's one thing to not like aspects of a line and offer a discussion on those points. But to make a blanket statement in an effort to inflict injury has it's own designs.
                      Inflict injury? Get a grip. Did Roger Ebert "inflict injury" on the movies he didn't like, or was he just proffering his honest opinion? The person who started this thread did so for the purposes of feedback, and now he's gotten it.

Craig, Jason and everyone involved in making these figures are outstanding members of this forum.
                      Irrelevant. We're talking about their product, not their reputations. Bill Gates is a standup guy too, but that doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 sucked.

And their contributions deserve better than your juvenile remarks. You put together a figure and finance it yourself and lets see what you come up with. Your comments are classless, thoughtless, and immature.
                      My remarks are blunt and honest, not juvenile. "Juvenile" is throwing a hissy fit when one person out of a hundred doesn't care for the prototypes.

Complaining is commonly accepted as evidenced by many threads on these forums (see Retro Action). However, the original and subsequent posts are more of an attack than much of a critique. We don't have to tolerate caustic threads with ad hominem responses, if you can't debate without insulting members, then you should refrain.
                      You mean the people who keep calling me a "troll"? I couldn't agree more.

We don't have to agree on every subject but we do have to keep it civil. I think that's a fair and achievable expectation.
                      Have I used swear words or something? You job is to moderate, not protect favored parties from harsh yet fair criticism. I'm sure the braintrust at Zica can defend themselves without anyone's help.

Comment

• palitoy
                        • Jun 16, 2001

What are you hoping for here? Where I sit, I can only see it's to cause a flame war.

The figures are not for you, fair enough but where do you hope to get by insulting the producers and any member who offers a differing viewpoint.

I can think of better ways to offer an opposing viewpoint without being caustic, it actually discredits you a little when you do that.

Have I used swear words or something? You job is to moderate, not protect favored parties from harsh yet fair criticism. I'm sure the braintrust at Zica can defend themselves without anyone's help.
                        Swear words are not the only criteria for fair. My job, thank you, is to make sure that conversation is kept moderate. My job is not to defend ZICA right but if they spoke to you in the same manner you are, I'd also warn them.

Your tone is rude, inflammatory and it's entirely unnecessary. If you can't defend your point without insults and name calling, you'll be asked to go.

Comment

• slats7
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Jun 20, 2007

What are you hoping for here? Where I sit, I can only see it's to cause a flame war.
                          I'm no different than someone offering a product review on Amazon. If you can't deal with dissent in a calm, rational manner, that's not my problem.

The figures are not for you, fair enough but where do you hope to get by insulting the producers and any member who offers a differing viewpoint.
                          Again, I'm the one who's been insulted in personal terms. Conversely, I'm slamming inanimate objects (toys). Is this a toy forum or a kangaroo court?

You're not going to buy, fair enough but your opinion doesn't hold more weight because the figures don't meet your criteria.
                          strawman. when did I argue otherwise?

Swear words are not the only criteria for fair. My job, thank you, is to make sure that conversation is kept moderate. My job is not to defend ZICA right but if they spoke to other members in the manner you are, I'd warn them.
                          99% of my comments have been directed at the toys, not other members. I'm allowed to defend myself when attacked.

Your tone is rude, inflammatory and entirely unnecessary. If you can't defend your point without insults and name calling, you'll be asked to go.

Bad reviews are inflammatory?? Then control yourselves. A bad review isn't the end of the world.

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

OK, message received.

Comment

• ZICA
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 7, 2006

. . . I'm sure the braintrust at Zica can defend themselves without anyone's help.
                              OK, I'll give it my best shot.

The reasoning behind the vintage Kenner design and aesthetics I've chosen for the line has already been explained so I won't bore anyone with those details again. Other than you, I've had two other people that I know of complain about the line. However, your method of complaining gets the "least amount of tact" reward by a long shot so congrats on that. If you would like to take a shot at doing what you consider to be a better job on the line I'll give you a checklist of what you'll need to do.

1. Find a reliable and trustworthy factory in China. There's plenty of them that are con artists and crooks so this might be a little tough.
                              2. Contact NBCUniversal and negotiate the license contract.
                              3. Have the financial resources to pay for the license, promotions, a sculptor, a graphic artist, tooling, the actual product and product liability insurance (very expensive).
                              4. Once you have all of that taken care of you'll need to be sure that you've made arrangements to have the product shipped safely from China, and to have an reliable method of distribution once the product arrives in the US.

These are pretty much the basics but there will most likely be some unexpected BS you'll have to deal with along the way. Best of luck if you decide to give this a shot and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Craig

Comment

• enyawd72
                                Maker of Monsters!
                                • Oct 1, 2009

Yes, and I'm saying that's a terrible mistake. Why would adult bionic fans want a smaller, inferior version of what they grew up with?
                                Darth's appeal was his costume, and Luke's bionic hand (which didn't show up until the end of TESB) wasn't instrumental to his character. A Steve Austin doll without bionics is like a Jedi without a light saber: pointless.
                                Modeling it on Andre the Giant instead of ripping off Kenner would have been preferable. Totally disagree about Majors, and I'm not alone in that respect.
                                That's not saying much. I never cared for or collected those figures anyway.
                                Either a tricked out version of the old 12" figures or a realistic looking model like McFarlane does with NFL players or movie monsters. If you don't have the money or resources to do it right, then don't.
                                More insults.
                                These toys are objectively bad. Do you think someone's paying me to slam these cheap looking figures?
                                Inflict injury? Get a grip. Did Roger Ebert "inflict injury" on the movies he didn't like, or was he just proffering his honest opinion? The person who started this thread did so for the purposes of feedback, and now he's gotten it.
                                Irrelevant. We're talking about their product, not their reputations. Bill Gates is a standup guy too, but that doesn't change the fact that Windows 8 sucked.
                                My remarks are blunt and honest, not juvenile. "Juvenile" is throwing a hissy fit when one person out of a hundred doesn't care for the prototypes.
                                Listen...I'm not sure what your problem is, but your attitude is completely uncalled for. First of all, it's YOUR opinion these are inferior. Not everyone else's. You say you never cared for the vintage Kenner figures? Fine. But since many, many people DO, and that's what these are supposed to be reminiscent of, your "criticism" is completely invalid. These are purposely intended to be simplistic and that's their charm. Who are you to say that's pointless? ZICA's product does not now, nor has it EVER "sucked". You've obviously never seen Craig's Buck Rogers figures. Lastly, your comment "If you don't have the money or resources to do it right, then don't." was just over the top. ZICA is doing exactly what they intended to do, put out a quality retro figure done in the STYLE OF THE PERIOD FROM WHICH THE SOURCE MATERIAL EXISTS.

Let me spell it out for ya...when Kenner made the original SMDM toys, Star Wars hadn't hit yet. If it had, you can bet Kenner would have treated SMDM just as they did Star Wars and Indiana Jones, with 3 3/4 inch figures, and that's exactly what we're getting. You don't like them or that style now or then, then these aren't for you, and it's time to move along bunky!
                                Last edited by enyawd72; Jul 24, '13, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎