X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imp
    Mego Book Author
    • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    I worry that the line will run out of steam before we see significant interest in, & production of, other characters.
    This is precisely my concern, distilled to its purest essence. You guys are just more succinct than I.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I'm wondering if they had access to the entire DCU to begin with. I can't imagine they WOULDN'T do Superman in an early wave, especially since it's his year.

I'm skipping wave 1, but will get Bruce and Dick from Wave 2, since I've never owned them.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• captact
        King of Super Queens!
        • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        I'm passing on all these and saving my money for the Adam West series. If they do some new figures that weren't from Mego or covered by Mattel recently I'll get those, too.
        Im with thunderbolt all the way!!!!

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

I think the worse thing that could happen is the quality isnt there. That will ruin any future chances right there. I believe thats partly why interest in the Retro-actions dwindled so quickly. I'm afraid to even take mine out of their packages because of it.

I do think theres a market there from younger folks that have never seen a mego before BUT they have to be made aware of them. Thats one of the major hurdles for online retailers. How can they advertise this type of product in this day in age? If comic shops dont carry them thats gonna make things worse.

I wish we had another big toy retailer that would carry this sort of thing. The void left when K.b. toys went under never has really been filled.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

Wave 1 and 2 are supposed to be out in August and September, right. Who is to say Figures won't have a wave a month and get to Superman before the end of the year?

Comment

• imp
              Mego Book Author
              • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by madmarva
              Wave 1 and 2 are supposed to be out in August and September, right. Who is to say Figures won't have a wave a month and get to Superman before the end of the year?
              That would certainly assuage my fears. In fact, if FTC's pockets are deep enough, timing may not be an issue. If they're already a lock to produce DC characters beyond the Batman family, i.e. they're not counting on achieving certain sales from Series 2 in order to move forward, all of my concerns would be moot. FTC could be golden. Fingers crossed.

Comment

• garfoot
                Museum Patron
                • Aug 28, 2012

I am in the minority here, but I currently do not own any original Mego WGSH figures. I am just getting back into this size after 15 years of collecting Hasbro Star Wars. I can see both sides of this, wave 2 is awesome for someone like me who wants all of them, but if you have them, or just don't care for them, I could see why this would be a dull wave. As for why they wouldn't jump right into wave 2 with Superman and other popular characters, maybe they're just not far enough into production yet? Batman was announced first, so maybe these first 11 figures are ready to go now. I'm sure they want to start making back some of that cost on that very expensive DC license.

If you have them ready to go, why not release them? We assume wave 3 is Batman, but we really don't know. Like imp said, they could have deep pockets. It's all a guess for those of us on the outside, but my guess is simply that these Batman figures are ready to go while the others will be along shortly after. I think in the end we all wish this line to prosper and it's so much fun having these debates about these great nostalgic figures.

Comment

• tllgn
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 6, 2010

I really like what FTC is doing ,i am in for all these great retro DC figures,not just to support the movement ,but because i want them.wave 1 is perfect,and i
                  think wave 2 is also nice,true i never had the bruce & dick figures as a kid ,but i sure remember how much i wanted them after seeing them in that wish-book.as
                  for catwomen ,i loved it as a kid ,she was my first supergal,still have it,looking forward to get her again.Penguin - i like this one too,had him as a kid,still have it,i
                  personally want all the repros first,they really take you back,just like emces Star trek & apes did.and looking forward to all new figures that i never had (but thought
                  they would make at the time)but didnt,Lets just enjoy these toys now,because when the retro movement is over,its over,i will enjoy this while it lasts.

Comment

• tllgn
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 6, 2010

oh, and i love the fact that each figure has their original mego card color,-great touch.

Comment

• jayraytee
                      Career Member
                      • May 27, 2011

I always kind of figured that they started with Batman figures for the first few waves of these because they were also producing the 66 Batman figures which will get all the buzz for a while. That and the fact that Spiderman and Batman are probably the two biggest super heroes for kids, if they are hoping for getting support for the line outside the collector market. But really, none us really know which characters would be the catalyst to launch the line into success or which characters would seal its doom. Its all speculation. I mean I would rather see Dr fate and the Spectre than Bruce and Dick, personally, but who knows they might be a couple of characters that would kill the line while Bruce and Dick might get some collector market buzz and just work for some unknown reason. We've all seen great toy lines fail and some that we never would of thought would continue live on for years. All we can really do is buy the ones we want to buy and sit back and see if they made the right choices or not.
                      My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Random Axe
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Apr 16, 2008

If FTC initially had the entire DC license then these waves would be look considerably different. These wheels were probably put into motion a year ago and the momentum wasn't easily stopped. In my estimation, I doubt wave 2 will have anywhere near the piece run that wave one does. I certainly wouldn't make them in those quantities, and I doubt they do. With the money already spent, this is probably a two to three year business model that will not be altered if wave 2 sits. Clearance those things out and move on to the rest of the DCU. I sincerely doubt the entirety of the line hinges on three guys wearing button ups and an uglyass version of Catwoman. They made too huge of a commitment to have that happen.

By wave four, they will HAVE TO make a couple of completely new figures to appeal to more than a nostalgiac cutomer base. I am rooting for these guys to pull it off big time, but I'm not worried about the lackluster wave 2. I need to own a Dr. Fate and Deathstroke.
                        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          That said, I supported Emce Trek & POTA and I'll give the same courtesy to FTC if the quality is present. I'll be one of those collectors who wants a set. But many wont, and I worry that the line will run out of steam before we see significant interest in, & production of, other characters.
                          I don't think it'll run out of steam. Look at how long it took EMCE to get to their new Trek stuff. Heck,look at how long KISS has been chugging along for them. And it's pretty much the same four guys in different outfits.

Comment

• imp
                            Mego Book Author
                            • Apr 20, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                            I don't think it'll run out of steam. Look at how long it took EMCE to get to their new Trek stuff. Heck,look at how long KISS has been chugging along for them. And it's pretty much the same four guys in different outfits.
                            Both KISS and STAR TREK enjoy vastly larger fan-bases than Mego. So your analogy is kind of apples and oranges, but I like your thinking!

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by imp
                              Both KISS and STAR TREK enjoy vastly larger fan-bases than Mego. So your analogy is kind of apples and oranges, but I like your thinking!
                              Since he is specifically referring to the properties themselves AS Megos, I'd say his analogy is spot on. Batman is even more popular than either Kiss or Star Trek, so logically Batman MEGOS should do better then Kiss or Trek Megos.

Comment

• ctc
                                Fear the monkeybat!
                                • Aug 16, 2001

>logically Batman MEGOS should do better then Kiss or Trek Megos

....except that they don't look like any recent versions of the characters. Although I suspect they'll do better than Trek, the KISS army is pretty dedicated, so I could see those lines doing surprisingly well.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎