X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Action Martin
    Yeah, I "trip" over Gorns all the time on eBay.

But still a $15 brand-new Gorn is better than a $20-$30 "used" Gorn that could snap apart the day it arrives.
    Every piece of the Gorn can be replaced by EMCE parts save for the head, so it's somewhat moot.

While it makes sense to reproduce the "Disco" Mugato because it's a valuable figure. It makes much more sense for EMCE to do a show accurate Gorn.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Action Martin
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
      Every piece of the Gorn can be replaced by EMCE parts save for the head, so it's somewhat moot.
      Thus making it more expensive to buy and own.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have a show accurate Gorn or any figure for that matter. But telling someone that they can buy a vintage one because they aren't all that expensive defeats the purpose if they have to eventually buy the replica body or accessories. With your logic EmCe would not have had to make Kirk, Spock, or Klingon.
      Scott

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Action Martin
        Thus making it more expensive to buy and own.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great to have a show accurate Gorn or any figure for that matter. But telling someone that they can buy a vintage one because they aren't all that expensive defeats the purpose if they have to eventually buy the replica body or accessories.
        Actually no I'm not saying that, you're the one who threw the arguement of "it could snap apart", I haven't had a body break in years. You can get or make a Gorn for about $10 more than an EMCE will cost, I'm living proof.

with your logic EmCe would not have had to make Kirk, Spock, or Klingon.
        No, please do not assume that, to attract a new audience you have to swallow the bitter pill of reproducing the core (ie most popular) characters. You can't just do the rarer figures or else all you will get is one type of collector.

All I see locally are Andorians which were priced $2 less than Spock, who sold out.

What I'm trying to say is given a choice, a show accurate Gorn is wiser than the Mego one, trek collectors like accurate things. It will appeal to many Mego collectors as well, I see custom ones going for more than an original Gorn. It's not a crime to see this one improved, nobody is going to be hurt.

Comment

• Action Martin
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 30, 2007

Actually no I'm not saying that, you're the one who threw the arguement of "it could snap apart", I haven't had a body break in years. You can get or make a Gorn for about $10 more than an EMCE will cost, I'm living proof.
          You're luckier than me. I've had 3 Apes snap apart since Christmas. But I do have other Megos that are still looking & feeling like they are brand new.

No, please do not assume that, to attract a new audience you have to swallow the bitter pill of reproducing the core (ie most popular) characters. You can't just do the rarer figures or else all you will get is one type of collector.
          True. Very true.

What I'm trying to say is given a choice, a show accurate Gorn is wiser than the Mego one, trek collectors like accurate things. It will appeal to many Mego collectors as well, I see custom ones going for more than an original Gorn. It's not a crime to see this one improved, nobody is going to be hurt.
          And I agree with that.

My thinkiing is why buy used when a new one is cheaper and better made.
          Scott

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

You're luckier than me. I've had 3 Apes snap apart since Christmas. But I do have other Megos that are still looking & feeling like they are brand new.
            Oh now that I've said that, I'm sure my toy room will look like an emergency room. I forgot to knock wood.

Comment

• Captain
              Fighting the good fight!
              • Jun 17, 2001

I dont know this for certain, but I wouldnt count out a Mego style Gorn just because of the accurate one coming out. I'm assuming the accurate Gorn is the San Diego Comic con exclusive that has been mentioned (makes sense anyways). I see no reason why the goofy Gorn couldnt be done as part of the regular releases? If Diamond is willing to tool up for a new body like the Brady Gorn or the female figures, then I see no reason we wont see the Talos(ian) as well.

I dont want this to come off as mean, but it seems we all keep ranting about why they dont make this guy, or do this thatway, and then they do....This line is ongoing, and very popular....theres lots of life left in these releases and I'm sure before its done, Diamond/EMCE will have done their best to keep us all happy!!

There are also complaints that nobody wants the common figures, yet Kirk was the first to sell out (arguably THE most common) and Spock seems quick to follow. Every retailer (granted--less than a dozen)I've spoken with about these has told me the same thing...theres more kids,teens and twentysomethings buying these than the expected 35+ year old collectors (who are probably buying on line). Diamond/EMCE have proven there is a new audience beyond us old fart guys (and gals) for this style of figure, and I'm hoping we are on the groundswell of a much bigger revival.
              Last edited by Captain; Feb 24, '08, 2:18 PM.
              "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• Colf72
                • Feb 21, 2008

I hear ya. I seriously am gratefull that this is happening. I never thought I'd get the chance to own these figures mint without paying sick money.

Put it this way, whatever they put out I am buying two of so no matter what they get my support.

......unless they were to come out with the WGSH and change any of those. Now THAT would be sacrilege!

Comment

• Colf72
                  • Feb 21, 2008

I mean no disrepect but really? This past month alone, two Gorns ended at under $40.

1974 Star Trek MEGO Original Action Figure GORN No Res! - eBay (item 320217720064 end time Feb-21-08 16:45:00 PST)

~~ STAR TREK MEGO 8" GORN LOOSE~~ - eBay (item 200198906453 end time Feb-14-08 04:28:01 PST)

If you can find a nude Gorn you can load him up with EMCE accessories, while I get the Romulan/Andorian/Mugato thing but I can't imagine that a collector cannot afford an original Gorn.
                  You are right. When you are right you are right and you are. Loose Gorns are aplenty and I did get a loose one today. Carded mint is still pretty steep IMO and let's face it there's still nothing like getting a brandy new mint figure and opening that bad boy up. If you are buying a thiurty year old MOC chances are it will stay MOC.

My fear is this, if they re release every original figure except, let's say, the Gorn, Talos and neptunian, won't everyone be hunting for those and consequently jacking up the price?

I mean let's face it you don't get much more series in-accurate than an Alien that never appeared on the show....

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Captain
                    I'm assuming the accurate Gorn is the San Diego Comic con exclusive that has been mentioned (makes sense anyways).

Actually...Doc Mego has already stated that "The Brady GORN, Checkov & Sulu...will NOT be exclusives".
                    sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Colf72
                      My fear is this, if they re release every original figure except, let's say, the Gorn, Talos and neptunian
                      Why would they not release these? The sculpts are hardly a problem since they're already creating new figures, so three sculpts more won't make that much of a difference. The Gorn outfit is already made (Klingon), the other suits aren't exactly difficult to copy. Granted, the Talosian body would have to be made from scratch, but if they're making female bodies, why not 6" bodies too. And DM used to cast Neppy's boots and gloves himself, but I'm sure China can do a better job with larger numbers.
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Action Martin
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Colf72
                        My fear is this, if they re release every original figure except, let's say, the Gorn, Talos and neptunian
                        I would love for a toy company to make a guarantee and stick to it.
                        Imagine if DC Direct guaranteed that all of their figures would be in scale. Or that they would indeed make all of the New Teen Titans.

It would be nice if EMCE guaranteed that they were going to make all of the original Star Trek (and Planet of the Apes) figures. Then the new figures would be icing on the cake. Most welcomed icing.
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎