Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone reissue and new Marvel Megos? Diamond?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Nobody wants to sell eighty dollar Mego figures, and that's what Marvel is allowing to happen.

Comment

• drogge
      Career Member
      • Jul 24, 2009

[QUOTE=drmego;1038954]I know you guys see everything as mego-centric, but the major toy companies don't.
      They see 8 inch cloth figures as expensive to make, and low sales. They chased the
      collector market and found that it was a very vocal small market.

I am not going to discuss what I know may or may not be going

Is it good news?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

^ It’s five year old news that’s already come and gone. Look at the date of Doc’s post.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

[QUOTE=drogge;1378322]
          Originally posted by drmego
          I know you guys see everything as mego-centric, but the major toy companies don't.
          They see 8 inch cloth figures as expensive to make, and low sales. They chased the
          collector market and found that it was a very vocal small market.

I am not going to discuss what I know may or may not be going

Is it good news?
          It was good news. We saw them come and go. It was great while it lasted!

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

It's too bad FTC can't get the rights to X-men (to start with )and test sales first.
            X-men really kicked off the Toy biz Marvel craze in the 90's. wave1 Colossus, Wolverine
            Cyclops, and First appearance Storm. If Mego does them at 8'' that would be good too!

fantasy Marvel wave 1 Hulk 8.5 '', Spiderman, Capt. America, Ironman

Comment

• generic
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by wise guy
              Your selection is tough to argue! All four are definitely classics!

Alternately, they could release some Marvel characters who are popular today, but who weren't well known in the 70s: Wolverine, Black Panther, The Punisher, & Deadpool (who wasn't even around until the 90s). That way they might be able to reach some younger fans who like these characters today as well as the Mego collecting adults who would love to add them to their collection! The Diamond sets are awesome, but so expensive that they're less likely to make it into the hands of kids.
              Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• drogge
                Career Member
                • Jul 24, 2009

I'll bet Marvel megos get made. Just a feeling.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by wise guy
                  It's too bad FTC can't get the rights to X-men (to start with )and test sales first.
                  X-men really kicked off the Toy biz Marvel craze in the 90's. wave1 Colossus, Wolverine
                  Cyclops, and First appearance Storm. If Mego does them at 8'' that would be good too!

There no question that they would sell well, as long as the price point isn’t unreasonable. And, that may be what keeps it from happening. So, if Mego can get the license/or go ahead and th price point is in line with the other figures that they sell, Marvel Mego’s will be a huge hit.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I think the Target /Mego release is truly an audition for other companies to examine the viability of a straight translation of Mego as it was presented in the 70's. As much as I can look at the efforts of Toybiz, Hasbro, and Mattel as sticking their toe in the water for the Mego style, each company wanted to tweak the concept by placing their own design on the figures to "update" them for "modern sensibilities". What it actually did is dilute the concept and cost them part of the collector market who were their primary consumer.

This is truly the first straight translation of the Mego action figure on the mass market in decades led by the man who started it all. I don't call this Mego 2.0 so much as the "Marty's Mego" era since his signature is prominent above the logo where presentation is key. I fully support the line and do everything I can to promote it and spread the word. I desperately want it to succeed, because (in my eyes) this is the last battle cry on the big stage from my generation that grew up with these.

But when it comes to licensing, I'm in a bit of a conundrum if I'm being completely honest with myself. The mass market has an entirely different set of demands than the secondary market because there is more risk due to production volume and the players at the table who have agreed to sell it. A company like FTC primarily controls everything in-house. So if they want to change a line, add to a line, repackage a line, or even part out a line, they have that discretion which allows them to take more chances and go deeper on licensing. As a collector, I've gotten to enjoy those advantages with Batman '66, a Superfriends line, and the insanely deep run of the DC license. You couldn't have paid me a million dollars 10 years ago to believe there would actually be a Superfriends line based on their cartoon appearance and this vast Batman '66 series or the enormous army of DC figures. Add in all the contributions of EMCE, BBP, Castaway, Nica, and Diamond Select with EMCE and it's been a great exploration in licensing.

Now on the surface, this might sound like a lead-in to criticize Marty's Mego. It's not. I'm just assessing the realities of the market and how that can govern choices. If Marty's Mego gets the Marvel license tomorrow, I would be doing back flips (and then be admitted to the nearest ER for attempting to). But if FTC landed it, my eyes would pop out of my head as well because the possibilities would be endless.

I understand this is a competitive market given the niche consumer base and what they want. So by default, anyone who can take a license you want to make a similar product is your competition. But as a consumer, I don't feel like I have to pick a side. I can support both and champion both. I want everyone to win because at the end of the day they're making this product for people like me. If they run each other out of business, the product line becomes extinct and we crawl back under a rock romancing yesterday once again. So as long as one of them gets the Marvel license, that is a huge boom for the life span in the Mego-verse, And I will be there on day one to buy up those first offerings.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎