Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone reissue and new Marvel Megos? Diamond?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

Can anyone reissue and new Marvel Megos? Diamond?

Hasbro has the Marvel license and Figures Toy Company wants to reissue and make new Marvel Megos you know it! Why can't Disney license the 8" scale to Figures? Sideshow took over 12" Star Wars from Hasbro in 2006. What about Diamond who make Marvel Select figures and who reissued Star Trek Megos? Hasbro is not making cloth costumed Marvel figures, they tried in 2006-2007. C'mon, Disney jump on the Mego revival bandwagon! WGSH is not complete without Marvel!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I would bet that this is being looked into by a number of parties, especially after Figures came out of nowhere and snatched up the DC license.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Vinny0026
      Year Five!!
      • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I would bet that this is being looked into by a number of parties, especially after Figures came out of nowhere and snatched up the DC license.

Chris
      I agree with you Chris - I bet there are a few things going on.
      1) I bet everyone is trying to get the Marvel rights
      2) I bet disney/Marvel maybe just sitting back right now and waiting to see what goes on with these DC retros from CTV, figs inc.

No doubt the key to all of this is how well the Batman remakes, look and sales. If these sell well and the 2nd rd wave do well I think someone will get a marvel deal done.

from marvels point of view upuntil now they have done the famous covers, and signature series - bith lines did ok - but not great. But no one has ever taken the approach just to reproduce the mego line. So lets reall get behind Figures inc/ ctv and support these first few waves - it will really have an impact on the rest of the line and also to someone getting marvel.

I would think it would be a no brainer for marvel - especially with the new spiderman movies, and the on going Thor, Ironman, Cap, hulk, and avengers movies.
      If they were to olaunch now they would really max out sales and Marvel could really cash in on figures mego never made, as well as the remakes.

I would love to see Fig inc some how get the rights to marvel as well - one company to really keep this line a re-boot and new life. Would be so great to get all the remakes and add new figures from both marvel and dc. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
      "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"

Comment

• drmego
        EMCE Toys
        • Jun 15, 2001

I know you guys see everything as mego-centric, but the major toy companies don't.
        They see 8 inch cloth figures as expensive to make, and low sales. They chased the
        collector market and found that it was a very vocal small market.

I am not going to discuss what I know may or may not be going on.
        www.drmego.com
        www.megoman.com
        www.emcetoys.com

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by drmego
          I like how you left that Doc!
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I know you guys see everything as mego-centric, but the major toy companies don't.
            They see 8 inch cloth figures as expensive to make, and low sales. They chased the
            My limited understanding is the major toy companies (Mattel, Hasbro) look at the format as a risk, and one that hasn't paid off for them. The smaller companies would love to have the big licenses, but they are cost-prohibitive.

Which is why Figures, Inc. coming out of left field with the DC license was such a shocker.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Timothy2251
              Jerks beef with Ten Bears
              • Mar 15, 2008

interrogation.jpg

"This Dr. Mego guy is tough, Clancy. 12 hours in interrogation and he STILL won't give up the goods."
              "Bring out the big guns then. Here's a MOC Captain Kirk. Threaten to open it up in front of him."
              "Won't work. He'll KNOW it's just a repro. Heck, HE'S the guy who made 'em!"
              "BLAST! Cut him loose, but put a tail on him. We'll find out what he does or doesn't know somehow!!!"
              "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

Yep. I think it's also a question of profitability and the speed of return on investment. "Expensive to make and low sales" is not the same as "unprofitable". And since the 8" market is never going to be a home run for the large toy companies, they're going to hedge their bets and chase more "sure things". I think we were lucky that Mattel took a gamble on the first round of re-megos. For them it was a calculated (albeit small) risk. If it had paid off, they'd look like geniuses. When it didn't, they cut their losses and moved on.

The smaller guys (EMCE and Figures) have a love of the format so they are more willing to accept the smaller (if any) profits AND put up with the vocal minority BS. It's simply a different mindset.

Last edited by boss; May 30, '13, 10:38 AM.
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

The Bossman is correct. I'd be shocked if any of the major players get involved in Marvel Mego. Anything at all will come from a smaller, indie production who has financial backing and no shareholders to give backrubs to. I also think if a Marvel license is acquired like the DC deal, the key will be to release NEW figures instead of complete repro. Make waves of four, two vintage reps, two new. Of course you need Spider-man and Iron Man, but who could resist a completely Mego'ed Hawkeye, Vision or Wolverine? It's a huge risk with low percentage chance of making invenstment back but could also be a gold mine.
                  I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Plus there's the whole Famous Covers/Origins "failure." Hasbro saw/sees this as their attempt at "Mego" figures and they weren't profitable.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                      Career Member
                      • Jul 30, 2012

Hasbro could always go the Disney Store exclusive route.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

^Problem with that,there aren't that many left.

Comment

• megozilla13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 10, 2002

was famous covers really a failure with 9 waves of figures and all the store exclusives
                          WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Iron Mego
                            Wake Up Heavy
                            • Jan 31, 2010

Apparently to Hasbro it was. It didn't make enough $$$.
                            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 15, 2017

Any new 'official' word on the absence of cloth-clad Marvel pretties? I've seen drips and drabs of speculation, but that's about it. As ever, pardon me if I've missed the well-documented elephant(s) in the room.
                              >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎