Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have a toy line you were terrified to collect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I started the Japanese Saint Seiya (Zodiac Knights) diecast 7" line.
    They cost about $70 each.
    I quickly quit, when they started releasing two per month, some of which were $150 each. My buddy is still collecting, they're at over 100 figures now in about 8 years, and each one is more expensive than the last, with all kinds of variation paint jobs.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Donkey Hoatie
      Supporter of Silliness
      • Jun 20, 2007

Back in the late 90s, I got my first Charlee Flatt figure (Black Panther). Man, I really wanted more, but the price scared me at about $275 a pop. So, I decided not to jump in. Over the next couple years, as prices soared and figures ended up costing more than my monthly mortgage payment I had some regrets about not getting in early, but once the bottom dropped out I was just glad I wasn't into those figures for 5 bills, like some folks were. Don't get me wrong, I loved the look of his figures, but I loved not having to take a bath on them even more. And, looking at the Black Panther figure still brings me immense joy. Sure, he may be the only Flatt I've got, but I'm OK with that.

Comment

• Ssylyss
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 16, 2008

I have always wanted to get the various dollfie dream anime dolls, particularly the gurren lagann ones. They are crazy expensive, but I finally bit the bullet and got the Yoko Littner. It has to be the most amazing figure/doll in my collection. Now if I save up for 6 months I might be able to buy another one.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

MOTU Classics. I started after the line took off and got about 10 or so before I gave up and sold them. Problems with Matty at the time just made it too tough to stick with.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Mr.Marion
            Permanent Member
            • Sep 15, 2014

Gulliver marvel- they show up few and far between and usually pop up by foreign sellers.

Tomlands- I like em but the figures don't really fit into my collection.

Six Million dollar man- I know the Bionic Bigfoot will cost a pretty penny.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
              Permanent Member
              • Jun 29, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
              The Rosie O' Donnell Butterface Nudie Doll...it frightens all who see it.
              The even scarier Barbie doll. It talks.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                Career Member
                • Nov 22, 2011

Hot Toys due to the price but, I just buy what I REALLY like.
                "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Comic Action Heroes. They're just so expensive for minty ones.

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 12, 2016

Back in the 90's, I tried to collect any vintage toy line that sparked my interest from when I was a kid...Gi Joe, Big Jim, 6 Million Dollar Man, Hot Wheels, etc...Then I got into Marvel characters and started collecting carded figures...Then I had a big collection of Hot Toys figures...It all became too much...So I got rid of most everything and now just concentrate on GI Joe and a FEW Hot Toys figures...It really does become overwhelming if you let it...

Matt
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• huedell
                      Museum Ball Eater
                      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Megotastrophe
                      The even scarier Barbie doll. It talks.
                      https://m.ebay.com/itm/12-Talking-An...n+coulter.TRS0
                      If what it says when it talks is anything that resembles the quote on the front of the box? Then I'm all for it. Next thing you know, it'll be advocating other reasonable ideas
                      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

DC Direct 7'' DC figures after a few years the loose figures began crumbling piece by piece
                        sitting in storage boxes at room temp. Finally decided to sell the whole collection
                        and never regretted it. Even New figures right out of package would lose parts

Comment

• mjaycox
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 16, 2008

I try to avoid collecting vinyl kaiju, because it is just such a Pandora's box with noooooo end

Matt
                          Warm up?! We may as well sit around this cigarette!

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by mjaycox
                            I try to avoid collecting vinyl kaiju, because it is just such a Pandora's box with noooooo end

Matt
                            Heh, yeah that would be a bad rabbit hole to fall into.

Comment

• Redmiller
                              • Jun 19, 2018

I collect Star Wars Unboxed/UnCarded. Have to be in Played with condition. To me, if it hasnt been played with, I dont want it. I have almost every toy, not all complete, but thats the thrill of the hunt. If you only search for Carded stuff, Its expensive and hard to find.
                              I also collect, Battle Star, Buck Rogers, and any other 70-80 Space Toys. (Dont tell the Wife, but also Master of the Universe)

Now, I have always been kind of scared of collecting Matchbox/Hot Wheels, seems like there is sooo many varations, and remakes. Where to begin.
                              12" GI JOES and Vintage Barbies are also in this category.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

Henshin Cyborg- I have a couple of characters I love but every time I try to get an Ultraman I get a comeuppance. It's pricey, still very popular in Japan, not a good combination.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎