Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever have a toy line you were terrified to collect?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nazgul
    Lord of Light
    • May 2, 2011

Ever have a toy line you were terrified to collect?

Anyone here have a line that they would love to start collecting, but were scared away because they felt the task was just way to daunting and/or expensive? For me, it's Big Jim....The foriegn stuff looks like some of the best stuff, but it just seems impossible to find. And when it does come up, its really expensive...
    You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky
  • 4NDR01D
    Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
    • Jan 22, 2008

People should be cautious of collecting the Kenner & Mego stretch figures. The cost X risk of damage is pretty high.
    Some really good homemade repros out there these days though.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I wouldn't touch the stretch toys.

I also avoid Star Wars and Shogun Warriors, i like them both but with SW there are to many kids in the pool and I appear to have champagne tastes. With Shoguns, it's just about space.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Den82
        Career Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

A little less than 3 years ago it was all toy lines, especially Star Wars. I had a casual outside-looking-in interest in toys throughout the years, but after selling a small but nice Star Wars collection, I felt collecting toys again would be a waste of money, too tedious of a task and would make me feel like I was walking backwards in life. I was under the impression that a lot of this stuff wasn't out there anymore. Now my collection is better than the one I originally had, with the exception of a few pieces.

Next was Mego. I still have no idea what sparked my interest in Mego. I think I saw bits and pieces of stuff here and there but I was under the impression that Mego was really rare and high end stuff compared to the other lines, especially '80s ones. But before I knew it, I was finding Mego. It started with a mint Spider-Man I found in a junk shop.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

Transformers. I love them. Had many of them as a kid but their all gone. Alot of the G1s are a lot of $$$ now. I know if I got started I wouldnt be able to stop.

Comment

• B-Lister
            Eccentric Weirdo
            • Mar 19, 2010

I will buy what I think is cool.
            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

The Rosie O' Donnell Butterface Nudie Doll...it frightens all who see it.
              Last edited by enyawd72; May 22, '13, 3:39 PM.

Comment

• toys2cool
                Ultimate Mego Warrior
                • Nov 27, 2006

yes 2 of the ones I collect now..Hot toys (even though I haven't bought one since December) and the WDCC (Walt Disney Classics figurines )

Both are very expensive, but I love them both
                "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• nazgul
                  Lord of Light
                  • May 2, 2011

People should be cautious of collecting the Kenner & Mego stretch figures. The cost X risk of damage is pretty high.
                  I wouldn't touch the stretch toys.
                  Couldn't agree more...there seems to be way too much responsibility in owning those....That's a reason why I sold off my carded vintage Star Wars collection....to much responsiblility to keep them in good condition. The temperature needs to be constant, you really cant handle them...even dust could damage them...and God help you if you ever dropped one!
                  You will always be your child's favorite toy. ~Vicki Lansky

Comment

• Red Hulk
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 19, 2012

McFarlane figures you name the line doesn't matter because they seem to break from the moment you open them.

Comment

• spacecaps
                      Second Mouse
                      • Aug 24, 2011

Gentle Giant Star Wars Figures. I love them but because of their size and the price, I'm staying away. Although the Gonk droid coming out in a few months is probably gonna find a place here. Also, as I've mentioned before, Tomland Glow figures because of the price and the infrequency of their availability.

On the flip side, stuff I'm terrified of selling....Star Wars figures (most of those collectors are nuts) and baseball cards since most people won't touch the stuff unless you have it graded.
                      "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Byrnes
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 19, 2011

Star Wars Vintage Carded. SO many card variations, foreign versions and the prices on some are crazy high. Plus people have gotten so good at fakes to make some quick money it's hard to tell what's original and what's not with those cards. So I just stuck to a nice loose set and called it a day.
                        WWW.OG13.com - GI Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Star Trek, toys and more

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Popy Jumbo Machinders. I LOVE them, but they are way too expensive and hard to find (outside of Japan) for me to even consider start collecting. I have to console myself with collecting their much more affordable and common Mattel Shogun Warrior cousins instead (plus I'll save considerably on toy room space too)

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Classic Space Lego. Even though there's only a limited number of sets I want, I could see it easily getting out of hand.

Don C.

Comment

• Chris
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              The Rosie O' Donnell Butterface Nudie Doll...it frightens all who see it.
                              That's hilarious! There goes our next custom....right out the window.
                              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎