Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smonte00
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 19, 2005

I always wanted to see a Romulan Kirk. They could've paired him up with that lady Romulan commander with the whiny voice. I also would've liked to have seen the different Klingons from the series.

Comment

• Scousebadger
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2, 2012

I always wanted Wrath of Khan movie figures.

The main crew (including Saavik), Khan and Captain Terrell

Comment

• smonte00
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 19, 2005

I always liked those red uniforms from wrath of khan. I have one from a 9" Kirk that I'm going to modify to fit the mego one day. (Future project)

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

I honestly don't see the line continuing, so I've stopped dreaming of new figures.

If we do get some new ones, I'll be twice as happy.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 22, 2011

I agree with Gorn Captain about the current line but I think we will get new figures at some point but from a different company.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I can dream:

Talosian (corrected), Tellerite, Trelane, Harry Mudd

Chapel, Rand, Sarak, Vina/Marta

You know darn well that these would sell & would have capped off the ST: TOS set nicely.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

seems like the giant headed Pike along with Picard have managed to kill the line. Poor choices and/or poor execution did it.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 22, 2011

Along with the poor decision to cancel Vina and Chapel. I love Next Generation but my guess is they would have sold better than Picard and Borg.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 22, 2011

The giant heads seem to be plaguing a lot of our favorite Re Mego lines.

Comment

• zeedox
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 10, 2007

It's frustrating since I just bought the Kirk and Spock Toys R US exclusives from Diamond. Poses harkening back to figures in the late 1990s. Im surprised they weren't stowed on board the Botany Bay. :-) Seriously why make those silly things over a nice set of figures that will stand the test of time at antique shows rather than krap that gets discarded.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                        Invincible Ironing Man
                        • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                        Along with the poor decision to cancel Vina and Chapel. I love Next Generation but my guess is they would have sold better than Picard and Borg.
                        I doubt that. I think it was "two female non-action oriented figures" that didn't spark interest.

Personally, I like Borg and Picard a lot.
                        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

I think when EMCE finished making that last line of original Mego Star Trek characters, that pretty much sealed the deal. I was telling Emeraldknight the other day I think even the new Trek franchise is on it's last legs. This license has a branding problem. The Trek fans are out there. But they all seem to be fractured into different eras, rather than banding together and supporting all the various incarnations. And because of this, I think Paramount is at a loss on what to do with the license. I think the lackluster sales of merchandise is indicative of that confusion. Personally I think the Trek franchise got milked to death in the 80's and 90's with all of the different television series, movies, and endless array of product on shelves. I think the residuals from that saturation are still in existence. There is SO MUCH old Trek merchandise in existence, making new Mego-like figures is like getting to the party after everyone is already passed out on the couch. I just don't think there is any market for them now. EMCE made what I personally wanted and I can't think of a single character I want outside of that offering.
                          Last edited by MIB41; Jun 3, '13, 7:50 AM.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>There is SO MUCH old Trek merchandise in existence, making new Mego-like figures is like getting to the party after everyone is already passed out

Hmmmm.... yeah; I think that's kinda true. I think there IS still a market for stuff like new Mego-esque figures, but the trick is; that market is kinda small, at least compared to what you'd need for most companies to consider the returns worth the cost of the licensing. If someone could produce them in small runs and distribute themselves it'd probably go over well enough, but I suspect the fees are high for something like Trek.

>The Trek fans are out there. But they all seem to be fractured into different eras

....and age groups. That's a problem right there. So, the people watching the new Trek just want to watch the films; they're not into the whole collectible thing. If you could produce a film with low enough overhead that the marketing doesn't matter; great. ('Course, I think we all know the likelihood of that....) The REALLY old fans have amassed just about every Kirk/Spock geegaw you can imagine, so there's not a lot you can add. The Next Gen fans came about after the Mego era.... hence lackluster sales for TNG figures maybe?.... and the later fans came about during the 90's collector boom, so THEY'RE probably pretty burned out on the whole marketing thing.

>I think Paramount is at a loss on what to do

Definitely. There's a tendency for companies to see established franchaises as smartbombs: put 'em out there and they do their thing on their own. Once that doesn't work they're stuck. And big corps don't make decisions very adroitly; so they usually slap the name on whatever the current trend is.

Don C.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
                              I think it was "two female non-action oriented figures" that didn't spark interest.
                              I don't agree at all--partnered correctly, these would've sold.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jun 22, 2011

I agree.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡