• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinny0026
    Year Five!!
    • Jan 26, 2012

Chrome dipping on mego parts

Chrome dipping on Mego parts?

So I’m trying to round off my toy collection. I was able to just get a 24” shogun warrior mazinga the other day.
    So that leaves me with just wanting a GI Joe Bullet man. I can find a decent one on the internet also I don’t want to pay a kidney for one. I was thinking of trying to make a custom mego size one.

My brother does auto body – I was thinking of seeing if he can send out some arms and legs to be dipped in chrome.
    I know they do it for old car parts.

Has anyone here ever tried it? If so what are the results?
    Do you think the plastic would take the chrome?

If not I guess I can paint them silver – but wanted that perfect shine to them

Any ideas or advice?
    "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?"
  • gman
    Persistent Member
    • Sep 4, 2002

When I made my Bullet Man helmets I was going to do that .... I talked to a company that specializes in re-chroming plastic model parts .... the guy said on parts that are hand cast it's like putting a microscope on every small imperfection. So I painted them. I have been looking at a silver resin that I saw at the art shop.
    Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

It's possible.... the infamous "chromantron" is a good example. I know there were places who'd chrome small stuff like toy parts; but I can't remember the addy for any.

Don C.

Comment

• Vinny0026
        Year Five!!
        • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by gman
        When I made my Bullet Man helmets I was going to do that .... I talked to a company that specializes in re-chroming plastic model parts .... the guy said on parts that are hand cast it's like putting a microscope on every small imperfection. So I painted them. I have been looking at a silver resin that I saw at the art shop.
        so the arms and legs should be fine than?

i can see that with the helmet. might have to an existing toy that could work for the helmet and have it dipped.
        this might sound odd - but what about the right size toy easter egg?

it might work as long as the cuts for the eyes are neat - the rest of the helmet should be fine as it is nice and smoothe.

thoughts?

Comment

• gman
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 4, 2002

Here is the company I talked to....
          Don't be sorry. How would you know? You've been watching MTV all your life.

Comment

• Chris
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by gman
            http://www.chrometechusa.com/model-c...lectibles.html
            Here is the company I talked to....
            I'm going to get a price for the BBP CYlon head. I love the figure but that painted silver head drives me up a fraking wall. I'm not complaining but want to fix it. I'll contact them. Thx for the link!!!!
            If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Vinny0026
              Year Five!!
              • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by Chris
              I'm going to get a price for the BBP CYlon head. I love the figure but that painted silver head drives me up a fraking wall. I'm not complaining but want to fix it. I'll contact them. Thx for the link!!!!
              yes thank you for the link!

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

I spoke w/Robert from that chrome website. The price to chrome up a Cylon head is $20. I'm going to do it.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• actjac01
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 17, 2009

Originally posted by Chris
                  I spoke w/Robert from that chrome website. The price to chrome up a Cylon head is $20. I'm going to do it.
                  Would love to see how he turns out. Pix, maybe, when you get it back and all assembled?
                  "...You can capture the Klingon & bring him back to the Enterprise!"

Comment

• Chris
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 23, 2009

Originally posted by actjac01
                    Would love to see how he turns out. Pix, maybe, when you get it back and all assembled?
                    Absolutely.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Why do you want the legs chromed?

Comment

• wayne foundation 07
                        Time to feed the cat
                        • Dec 30, 2007

A friend works at an industrial "hard" chrome plant. Its a more durible finish than a shiney finish. Lets just say everything on his truck and tractor has been plated. I'll have to see if he can do plastic.

Comment

• Chris
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 23, 2009

Bad news on having the BBP Cylon head chromed. They said the "plastic was too soft and the chrome won't plate". If anyone knows how to cast with hard plastic lmk and I'll make a mold of the BBP head. Resin isn't an option for chroming either.

It's a set back but I don't think we're out of the race.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎