X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Kenner Glamour Gals 1980 Catalog

Glamour Gals was an interesting attempt by Kenner in the early 1980s to capture the girls market. Instead of doing the standard 1/6th fashion doll made so popular by Mattel's Barbie, Kenner decided to do what they at the time were doing best, action figures.

The 4" size of the figures allowed Kenner to expand the Glamour Gal's environment more than a traditional doll line could adding many play sets and environments in a cost effective manner. The line failed to catch on and was retired in 1983 but a tremendous amount of product was made during that time, one that certainly captures the decades look and fashion sense very well.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Interesting. I had no idea this line went on this long. Basically the only thing I know of it comes from an old Tomart's article, detailing how Kenner made a crude custom Supergirl from one of these dolls, as a presentation piece to DC when pitching the Super Powers line.

That Firebird would be awesome for the Ertl Burt Reynolds/Bandit figure if it were black!

Just FYI, the captions under the 3rd set of pages is the same as the first.

Love the Kenny Loggins cameo!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• phil
      Persistent Member
      • May 11, 2007

My younger sister had a lot of this stuff. She liked it better than Barbie.

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

Interesting. I guess if I was still playing w/ dolls at this time, (I was 14) I would have bee into these. But they look bigger than 4 inches. Maybe 6 inches like the Dawn and Rock Flowers series of the early 70s.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

I still have a collector case full of those from when I was a kid. Cool little dolls. Mattel had their own line of similar mini action figure style dolls called Dazzle.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Kenner should have used the horse from the Indiana Jones line.

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

Rooted hair on a 4" figure? That might be a first.

They went about this toy line all wrong: Roofie Picnic. Hijinks on the High Seas aka "In the Air Tonight", Dinnertime Divorce & Moped Murder.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Splitty
                Career Member
                • Jan 25, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                I still have a collector case full of those from when I was a kid. Cool little dolls. Mattel had their own line of similar mini action figure style dolls called Dazzle.
                I had more Dazzle (still in storage even) than Glamor Gals, although Glamor Galls had better accessories, more poseable, and actually had men figures! But Dazzle's looked like wee mini-Barbies (or fairies). (:P

And they were all 'eaten' by my rubber Jaws in the bathtub.
                I gots Toyyyyzzzzz

Comment

• turnbolt
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 26, 2008

That Ocean Queen is a must have.
                  I like toys.

Colonel Raines' Toy Chest

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 30, 2012

Wondering if the head would work on a Microlady figure for a possible Jamie Sommers custom figure?

Comment

• 4NDR01D
                      Alpha Centauri....OR DIE!
                      • Jan 22, 2008

I had a similar aged girl neighbour who had a wack load of this stuff that she's let me borrow for my gi joe adventures. I think mcdonalds did some sort of 3 3/4 inch Barbie toy for happy meals that really reminded me of these.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎