X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1975 Lili Ledy Catalog from Mexico

Lili Ledy was Mexico's premiere toy manufacturer and because of trade restrictions, all toys they sold had to be manufactured in Mexico. So many of the popular US lines were licensed and then produced by Lili Ledy resulting in wonderful variations that toy collectors hunt for to this day.
    Alot of favourites like the Mego Superheroes, G.I. Joe and Kenner TTP are included along with some interesting Mexican market items. Check out the 1975 Lili Ledy Catalog.
    Reminder: Plaidstallions Retro Toyfair begins this Sunday with coverage from 1974. Find out what your favourite toy companies were up to.
    Visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Sweep Secondhand
    Museum Super Collector
    • May 18, 2007

That Lili Ledy Robin figure is cool! I don't know if they were trying to make him look more adult or less lame or what but it is an interesting variation using existing materials.
    - Sweep

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

I love that pic,the Batman is my favorite
      "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
      My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I just wish the Mego content was more than just the cover. I love the Mexican Joe line too, it's really fun.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SeattleEd
          SynthoRes Transmigrator
          • Oct 24, 2007

Smart to pose them on sand. That way they won't topple over.
          I like how they posed batman and robin.

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

These are fantastic.
            I like SHAZAM!'s head a bit better than the American Mego Peter/Shazam! combo... as well as Supermans head.

The Robin is very interesting. I wonder if when DC designed the new Robin Suit with Tim Drake, if they didn't see that. Tim's Robin suit does have some characteristics of that Mexican Robin.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Awesome! I've seen a couple of these catalogues on ebay, but always forget to bid. That's odd that the figures are only on the cover though. I wonder if there was another Ledy catalogue that has the figures featured inside.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

I love that Robin and the Aquaman is definitely a favourite of mine.

Comment

• slats7
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Jun 20, 2007

Let me tell you, that was one cheap *** company. Those toys may have looked like the American versions, but durability wasn't their specialty. Their Six Million Dollar Man doll (aka "El Hombre Nuclear") fell apart faster than a subprime mortgage.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

I think the cheapness is part of their charm. And actually, as far as Ledy's 8" superheroes go, I don't think they were any less durable than Mego's were, not that the durability of Megos was anything to write home about (if anything, the material that Ledy used for their bodies seems a bit tougher, almost like a very hard rubber. Probably pretty hard to break).

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Who's "Pedro" they talk about in the Flintstones section?

Comment

• SeattleEd
                        SynthoRes Transmigrator
                        • Oct 24, 2007

Jwyblejr,

That would be Fred Flinstone, or Pedro Picapiedras.

Cjefferys,

I noticed on your want list you are seeking the SW Ledy Dolls. I don't have any or know where to get any but here is an interesting experience.
                        Back in 1979 I lived in Mexico for almost a year and there was this big chain of stores that is well known, equivalent to Walmart back then. I recall walking into the store with my Kenner C3PO and RDD2 figures in hand. My brother and I went to the toy department and we came across this pallet in the middle of the area. It was huge and they have boxes and boxes of Ledy SW dolls. They had all of them. The only one that stuck out for me was the Tusken Raider because Kenner didn't release a verison. As for the others, they weren't that impressive. For some reason they look cheaped compared to the American version. Even the R2 doll. It was a large version of the figure, unlike the Kenner version which was more accurate looking. I guess these dolls weren't popular because the following week I went back to store and the dolls were still there with few looking to be sold. I went to another store and same thing, they had stacks of the these dolls. Seemed at some point later they were on sale or the bargin bins.
                        I assume there must be some place that still has a roomful of these in mint condition.
                        Again, my bother and I didn't buy any since they looked very cheap.
                        Of course I wish I bought that Tusken Raider.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Wow, cool story, thanks for sharing, ealdrett. I would love to see a big pallet stacked high with those. It's true that they are quite cheap looking, and for some odd reason that's why I love them. It's interesting (but not really surprising) to hear that they weren't that popular. But that really must have been the case, I believe they were released sometime in 1978, so even a year later you still saw stacks of them everywhere. Then again, the Kenner large size figures weren't big sellers here neither.

There very well could be a bunch of boxed ones somewhere still. A fairly large warehouse find of about 200 figures was found in Mexico around 1995 (and was the source for the vast majority of boxed Ledy SW figures in collections today), so I guess there could be another lot waiting to be found. Probably not in "mint condition" though. Their boxes were rather fragile, a large number of the boxes in the warehouse find were in far from perfect condition.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎