Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mego73
    Printed paperboard Tiger
    • Aug 1, 2003

Well, that Bennidict guy was on Letterman and said his character's name. I forgot it already but it was neither Khan or Gary Mitchell.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• Bruce Banner
      HULK SMASH!
      • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by mego73
      Well, that Bennidict guy was on Letterman and said his character's name. I forgot it already but it was neither Khan or Gary Mitchell.
      John Harrison.

But that's not the character's real name.
      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

I read some of the reviews on rotten tomatoes.

It seems the best positive reviews admit to the movie having major plot flaws and some characters not getting enough details.

They all say about how great the movie is and special effects and 3D are so wonderful. Then they turn around and say it could be great if the screenplay was more finely tuned, to correct obvious plot flaws.

They say how great Cumberbatch is, but then say Khan's too one-dimensional.

Then there is the Spielberg ripoff moment.

Negative: They say they changed certain characters' traits, history and occupation.

I'm saying the positive aspects talk me out of going to the theater.

Everyone seems to love the movie as a big blockbuster, but they praise it not being intelligent, they don't want new, exploration or thinking science-fiction.

Even Star Trek TV fans love it and they liked all the references to past canon.

To me though, it seems like they just threw random quotes and events from previous movies and shows.

It seems that they even reused stuff from the 2009 one.

I'm just surprised that so many watchers don't care if it is only an action movie.

Also, instead of being new, it's a reboot of TWoK and Space Seed.

How many times does Star Trek need rebooted?

I could accept Star Trek 2009 if Star Trek 2013 was fresh and at least 75% original.

Need a 100% new story. J.J. Abrams only gives 100% homage to past films and series.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
          Career Member
          • Nov 22, 2011

I liked the first movie but, The classic Trek was based mostly on the chemistry and commeradery of crew. The reboot is all about action. If you want action and eye candy this is good. If you like commeradery, You'll have to unpack the classic DVD's.
          "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Klosterheim
            I'm just surprised that so many watchers don't care if it is only an action movie.

I think it's because Next Gen movies were soooo boring people would happily accept anything rather than them

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I was flipping through the stations the other night and came across the Wrath of Khan, so I sat there and watched it before I had to leave. The one thing that repeatedly stands out is just how good those performances are. And it transcends just the familiarity with the actors or any nostalgia I associate therein. Even in this classic installment, they're asked to deliver some pretty cheesy lines. But I believe every word of what they say, because it's expressed with such believability that it comes across as credible. The chemistry is absolutely genuine and there appears to be no "acting" going on. And it's through that chemistry I invest in this story on a very emotional plane. When I see this new vision of those characters, I 'get' the interpretations and for the most part they're all fairly descent. But I can always tell their acting. Nothing feels genuine because it's them mimicking the performance of the actors that came before them. In short, they are not making these characters their own. So when the story itself begins to tread on familiar territory as well, then I don't feel as if I'm watching anything fresh. It comes off as completely derivative in both character and story so I'm not invested, so much as just comparing. And they'll always lose on the compare. Nothing tops the original if the new makers of this series are not going to expand beyond what has already come before.

Comment

• acrovader
                Career Member
                • Jan 19, 2011

Apparently, this ain't Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. I remember reading a quote somewhere where he said when he set out to make the movies, he didn't want them to compete with Star Wars and have huge space battles, swashbuckling action, etc..
                I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• johnmiic
                  Adrift
                  • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
                  I think it's because Next Gen movies were soooo boring people would happily accept anything rather than them
                  On the one hand I know the classic and Next Gen films lacked real action but they were not supposed to be action flicks. ST IV - The Voyage Home & First Contact deliver plenty of thrills and are very entertaining while being the least original Trek films. They borrow heavily from other popular films and their own Trek history, (the Whalesong probe is essentially V'ger done over. The Borg in the films are more Aliens/Romero Zombies than what they were originally portrayed as on TV). It's like what MIB41 points out. If the chemistry is there and the acting top notch they will draw you in.

Comment

• rchatlin
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 24, 2001

Just saw it.

if you want spoilers or have questions, PM me.

r
                    o
                    b

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Just saw it right now...I'm still inside the movie theater watching the end credits, WOW...what a thrill ride, this flick was SPECTACULAR...already one of my all time favorite movies, not just Trek, I wanna see it again, lol.
                      sigpic

Comment

• acrovader
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 19, 2011

I dunno. They should've not bothered with Kahn as the villain. Wrath Of Kahn still better, and THAT Kahn much better than the new one. I was really wishing we'd have more with the Klingons. They should've been the central villains. And what's up with the aliens? I can understand with the television series and the earlier movies, the abundance of aliens would've been cost prohibitive. Way too many humans mucking about. But the ending is a cheat. They can stockpile all that miracle blood so NOBODY has to ever die. So- Kirk has some of that superhuman blood coursing through his veins.. now what??
                        I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.

Comment

• trekman101
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 6, 2009

Originally posted by acrovader
                          I dunno. They should've not bothered with Kahn as the villain. Wrath Of Kahn still better, and THAT Kahn much better than the new one. I was really wishing we'd have more with the Klingons. They should've been the central villains. And what's up with the aliens? I can understand with the television series and the earlier movies, the abundance of aliens would've been cost prohibitive. Way too many humans mucking about. But the ending is a cheat. They can stockpile all that miracle blood so NOBODY has to ever die. So- Kirk has some of that superhuman blood coursing through his veins.. now what??
                          Kirk is ready for Gary Mitchell .......I don't know why JJ Abrams bothered to take Trek into a new direction when all he is going to do is do remakes ?
                          "Thats the ticket laddie"

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

With all the references in this film to the Klingons getting increasingly aggressive, I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie's subject is the original Klingon-Federation war.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• mego73
                              Printed paperboard Tiger
                              • Aug 1, 2003

I will see and and probably even enjoy it but it is definitely a different flavor of Trek than the one I truly treasure. It doesn't mean it can't be good or even great.

mego73@hotmail.com

Comment

• kerowack
                                Career Member
                                • Feb 27, 2008

Loved the movie, but that was despite the fact that SPOILER!!!!!!!!!

The ending is a total rip off of wrath of khan! How did they decide to go with that? It's almost TOO much of an homage. I get all the throwbacks and the flipping of the roles, but it jarred me out of the movie as it was happening. I realize that in alternate realities there will most likely be similarities between what is and what "is", but Spock yelling KHAN instead of Kirk was absolutely too far. Almost laughable......

That being said, loved it, looked past that stuff and thoroughly enjoyed the entire film.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎